Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (marfi80) - editing advice

Hello everyone,

I got one picture rejected because of Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and because of JPG compression artefacts (see link and picture below).

I'd like to learn more about those JPG compression artefacts. As I'm rather new here, any advice is much appreciated - I got some pictures accepted, others rejected for different reasons, but those compression artefacts are rather new to me. In particular it would be great to know where in this picture JPG compression artefacts are visible so I can try my best to avoid them in the future.

Thanks much in advance,
    marfi80

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D-ABBD (98).jpg
Views:	768
Size:	675.2 KB
ID:	1076635

Originally posted by marfi80 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I got one picture rejected because of Over Processed / Bad postprocessing and because of JPG compression artefacts (see link and picture below).

I'd like to learn more about those JPG compression artefacts. As I'm rather new here, any advice is much appreciated - I got some pictures accepted, others rejected for different reasons, but those compression artefacts are rather new to me. In particular it would be great to know where in this picture JPG compression artefacts are visible so I can try my best to avoid them in the future.

Thanks much in advance,
    marfi80

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Don't see compression as an issue, but there are editing halos visible on the treeline as you seem to have darkened the sky unnaturally.

Comment

Thank you so much for your feedback.
      This is very much appreciated and helpful for learning and improving.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have some beginner question about pictures taken at rather bad light conditions.
        The picture below might serve as an example. I tried my very best (I feel more would be overprocessing), but it was still rejected due to Dark/Underexposed, which I can completely understand.

Question: Is there any good editing approach to make pictures like this acceptable?
        Or is the better approach simply to stay in bed and wait for better light conditions the next day?

Name:	D-ACKB (50).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	1078030

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have some beginner question about pictures taken at rather bad light conditions.
          The picture below might serve as an example. I tried my very best (I feel more would be overprocessing), but it was still rejected due to Dark/Underexposed, which I can completely understand.

Question: Is there any good editing approach to make pictures like this acceptable?
          Or is the better approach simply to stay in bed and wait for better light conditions the next day?

Name:	D-ACKB (50).jpg
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	1078030
          Best is of course to select a day with good light for photography. Anyway, this rejection is rather harsh IMHO.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Bro! The main problem of yours is that you are shooting in jpeg this you are getting jpeg compression artifacts. Shooting in RAW gives you with much more information to edit your shot. You really should shoot in RAW .

Comment

Hi everyone,

one question about vignetting: Is there any way how to practically avoid this?
              I am a little puzzled about one rejection for that reason (see below). My feeling is that it's just a cloud pattern, which might have led to a rejection due to vignetting. Or do I miss something I could have really avoided during taking/editing the picture?

Thanks for any hint.

Best,
              marfi80

Name:	D-ACNQ (15).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	1079549

Comment

Hi everyone,

one question about vignetting: Is there any way how to practically avoid this?
                I am a little puzzled about one rejection for that reason (see below). My feeling is that it's just a cloud pattern, which might have led to a rejection due to vignetting. Or do I miss something I could have really avoided during taking/editing the picture?

Thanks for any hint.

Best,
                marfi80

Name:	D-ACNQ (15).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	1079549
                There's a bit of darkening in the corners, but yeah, mostly just clouds in this case I think.

Comment

Hello there,

can somebody please so kind to pre-screen the picture below?
                  It's the only shot I got from this aircraft and I wonder whether it has any chance for acceptance, in particular because of contrast and/or soft. If there's no chance, I'll just keep it for my personal record.

Thanks in advance and best,
                  marfi80

Name:	07-7189 final 1280.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	1080854

Comment

Hello there,

can somebody please so kind to pre-screen the picture below?
                    It's the only shot I got from this aircraft and I wonder whether it has any chance for acceptance, in particular because of contrast and/or soft. If there's no chance, I'll just keep it for my personal record.

Thanks in advance and best,
                    marfi80

Name:	07-7189 final 1280.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	537.0 KB
ID:	1080854
                    Yes, unfortunately the tail is quite soft, almost blurry. No chance for this version at least, to be accepted.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have two questions abot a rejected picture. The picture below was rejected for two reasons: "Heat distortion" and "Part of aircraft cut off."

- What is taken into account for "Heat distortion"? In the picture below I fully agree that there is heat distortion in the background (e.g. the fence beneath the aircraft in the background). But I thought the aircraft itself looks fine (at least in my view ). So is background heat distortion in general also a reason for rejection?

- Are there some more detailed guidelines than the general uploading guidelines about what kind of croppings are acceptable (maybe some older forum discussion I missed)? Sure, I cropped part of fin and wings to go more into details, which would be fixable by uploading the entire aircraft. But I feel some kind of lost, where is the sweetspot between acceptable cropping to improve details and rejections. Thanks for any hint.

Best,
                      marfi80

Name:	08-8601 (3) 1920.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1081935

Comment

You can see some general rule in the upload guidelines ( https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...S-New-version= ) under 3.2. In the shot the vertical stab is cut which makes it look awkward.

Letters on the side are wobbly

Comment

Thanks pdeboer for your feedback.

I can follow your argumentation that cropping the vertical stab might make it look awkward, also is in line with the upload guidelines saying "do not crop through essential parts of the main subject", which I was well aware of.

However, I also wanted to avoid a "bad centering rejection", that's why cropped it this way. One way to potentially fix his would be to the image below. Just focusing on centering (without full prescreening), would this centering be acceptable in such cases?

Thanks and best,
                          marfi80

Name:	08-8601 (3) test 1280.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	1082159

Comment

Thanks pdeboer for your feedback.

I can follow your argumentation that cropping the vertical stab might make it look awkward, also is in line with the upload guidelines saying "do not crop through essential parts of the main subject", which I was well aware of.

However, I also wanted to avoid a "bad centering rejection", that's why cropped it this way. One way to potentially fix his would be to the image below. Just focusing on centering (without full prescreening), would this centering be acceptable in such cases?

Thanks and best,
                            marfi80

Name:	08-8601 (3) test 1280.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	1082159
                            Centering should be ok on this, though I'd personally prefer not cropping the wings at all - but that's just my personal preference.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Although I won't resubmit this because of the heat distortion issue discussed above, this was tremendously helpful to learn more about cropping and centering of such pictures.

Best,
                              marfi80

Comment

Working...
                              X