X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi,

You should be using vertical references when the actual horizon is not visible (which is what will be the case in most instances), especially verticals towards the center of the frame, as verticals towards the edges tend to lean inward naturally the wider the angle (an effect called barrel distortion). The centering was an issue on the first due to it being a little too low in the frame.

Your edited version has improved the horizon, as well as the centering, although it's actually a bit high now. Also note that when making major edits like this, you'll usually need to go back and adjust the sharpness as well, as in this case the edited version is softer than the first.

Originally posted by Aldgyte View Post
    Most editors have a levelling tool and it can be used to draw a line against something that should be horizontal near the centre of your capture.
    As I noted, usually better to use vertical references than horizontal in all cases.

Leave a comment:

• Aldgyte
    replied
    I notice that you have rotated the image slightly on the edit. Horizon is a frequently occuring issue on captures of aircraft that are not in flight. You can see that in your original the line on a building diverging from the edge. When you upload there is a grid tool available on the "manage queue" page where you can review the horizon. Most editors have a levelling tool and it can be used to draw a line against something that should be horizontal near the centre of your capture. There is a convenient building in this capture whose roof you might use for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• antonvs
    replied
    Thank you yousaf, I will.

Leave a comment:

• yousaf
    replied
    Originally posted by antonvs View Post
    Hi, the rejection comments were:

- Bad composition (bad framing, aircraft not centered
    - Horizon

I'm willing and keen to learn but I have been a photographer 60 years and taught by my Father how was a talented amateur photographer. (I certainly don't want to let him down)

Please explain centering as to me the distance from either edge of the plane in view (tip of Rudder to tip of Starboard wing) are centered. I thought the plane was centered top to bottom using the middle of the cockpit window as the reference point, however I do see that there is more sky than grass.
    Regarding Horizon, I do see the line of the Hanger is sloping down to the Left. I can see without the aid of a distant horizon I becomes harder to perceive a level Horizon. I have edited both the level and vertical centering and attached the edit here, please advise if this gets closer to the mark. Note: to achieve this I had to change the format to 16:9

Cheers Anton.

1. Original

Click image for larger version Name:	2011-10-08 10-47-30 - IMG_0141-1280-40s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	958.8 KB ID:	1088735

2. edit

Click image for larger version Name:	2011-10-08 10-47-30 - IMG_0141-1280-40s -2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	1088734
    Read http://seahawkgfx.de/Editingguide.pdf Seahawk's guide for editing

Leave a comment:

• Hello, help on my first upload-rejection please

Hi, the rejection comments were:

- Bad composition (bad framing, aircraft not centered
    - Horizon

I'm willing and keen to learn but I have been a photographer 60 years and taught by my Father how was a talented amateur photographer. (I certainly don't want to let him down)

Please explain centering as to me the distance from either edge of the plane in view (tip of Rudder to tip of Starboard wing) are centered. I thought the plane was centered top to bottom using the middle of the cockpit window as the reference point, however I do see that there is more sky than grass.

Regarding Horizon, I do see the line of the Hanger is sloping down to the Left. I can see without the aid of a distant horizon I becomes harder to perceive a level Horizon. I have edited both the level and vertical centering and attached the edit here, please advise if this gets closer to the mark. Note: to achieve this I had to change the format to 16:9

Cheers Anton.

1. Original

Click image for larger version  Name:	2011-10-08 10-47-30 - IMG_0141-1280-40s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	958.8 KB ID:	1088735

2. edit

Click image for larger version  Name:	2011-10-08 10-47-30 - IMG_0141-1280-40s -2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	1088734

Working...
X