Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equalize function problem

Hello everyone!

As I'm uploading to JP since 2012 I would consider myself as rather experienced when it comes to submitting images at a high acceptance ratio and avoid all kinds of reasons for rejects that you can have.

But for the last few years (I believe since the update of the site) I'm kind of worried about the equalize function of JP.

When shooting approach shots I often get the result that after editing in PS all of my images are fine when equalized. Once I upload them to JP I sometimes see those small black halos around the plane but not anytime. Same story when it comes to dust spots that are rather weak: they are not visible in PS but visible after the upload to JP.
    Even the lens correction my camera applies to the RAWs is visible with the JP filter but not in PS.

Is there any way to reconstruct the equalize filter in PS that JP uses to avoid those frustrating situations after uploading?

I always tried to solve this problem by myself until now but unfortunately I am kinda helpless at this point.

Thanks for your help guys!

Best regards!
    Nils
    Last edited by TUIjet97; 2020-05-08, 16:58.

Originally posted by TUIjet97 View Post
    Hello everyone!

As I'm uploading to JP since 2012 I would consider myself as rather experienced when it comes to submitting images at a high acceptance ratio and avoid all kinds of reasons for rejects that you can have.

But for the last few years (I believe since the update of the site) I'm kind of worried about the equalize function of JP.

When shooting approach shots I often get the result that after editing in PS all of my images are fine when equalized. Once I upload them to JP I sometimes see those small black halos around the plane but not anytime. Same story when it comes to dust spots that are rather weak: they are not visible in PS but visible after the upload to JP.
    Even the lens correction my camera applies to the RAWs is visible with the JP filter but not in PS.

Is there any way to reconstruct the equalize filter in PS that JP uses to avoid those frustrating situations after uploading?

I always tried to solve this problem by myself until now but unfortunately I am kinda helpless at this point.

Thanks for your help guys!

Best regards!
    Nils
    1. the equalize (check for dust) feature is available for images in the queue, feel free to use it on images you've already uploaded
    2. while the JP version of this tool is much stronger than the one in PS, screening decisions are not made based only on this tool. If the issues are not visible without using it, they generally won't be considered. I personally add many images every day that have faint dust spots or halos visible using the tool, but that are not otherwise visible.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. the equalize (check for dust) feature is available for images in the queue, feel free to use it on images you've already uploaded
      2. while the JP version of this tool is much stronger than the one in PS, screening decisions are not made based only on this tool. If the issues are not visible without using it, they generally won't be considered. I personally add many images every day that have faint dust spots or halos visible using the tool, but that are not otherwise visible.
      1. Of course it is. As stated above I use it after uploading and that is when I encounter the mentioned frustrating moments because images look perfect in PS and after uploading it turns out that they are far from it.

2. I know it is stronger. That was the reason I asked for a way to get a similar look in PS. Maybe that counts for you that an image might still be acceptable if halos or dust are not visible without equalizing but unfortunately for many screeners out there it obviously is a no go if some are visible only after using the equalize function.

The point is that I want to avoid discussions and appeals regarding halos and dust spots in advance. So that I can be sure that there will not be a dust spot discussion because of the stronger tool.
      I don't want to play a kind of annoying screener-lottery if there is a way to minimize those rejects preventively.

Maybe some of you know a way to get a similar equalize strength in PS.

Thanks for your answers and help!

Kind regards
      Nils

Comment

Hi Nils,

I have faced the same issue earlier and when I saw your post I've tried to reproduce this effect. It's not perfect but I've found that if you Equalize your image, then you press Ctrl+L for levels, and either pull the left arrow (blacks) to the right, or pull the middle arrow (midtones) to the right, it can increase the effect of the adjustment. I'm not sure if it's working in all cases but hopefully it can help you!

Regards,
        György

Comment

Originally posted by habigyuri View Post
          Hi Nils,

I have faced the same issue earlier and when I saw your post I've tried to reproduce this effect. It's not perfect but I've found that if you Equalize your image, then you press Ctrl+L for levels, and either pull the left arrow (blacks) to the right, or pull the middle arrow (midtones) to the right, it can increase the effect of the adjustment. I'm not sure if it's working in all cases but hopefully it can help you!

Regards,
          György
          Hi György,

Thanks for your reply!
          I tried to get a similar effect the way you stated above. It is indeed a stronger version of the PS equalize function but not as strong as the JP one.

I still get the rejects (vignetting or overprocessed) because even the effects of the lens correction filter Camera Raw applies to my images are visible in that extremely strong JP tool.

I don't know what to do. In PS the images are perfectly fine and in JP that problem appears.

Maybe a member of the screening or editing team can give me an useful advise.

Thanks in advance.
          Nils

Comment

Working...
          X