Prescreening request/editing advice newbie Denis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for responding!

If I may ask where the image is dirty? I have been looking and looking, but for the life of it I can not spot it. Could you point me in the direction I should be looking, please? (I already learned that I should be looking for a sensor dust spot, but where is it? Also, is it allowed to remove it or does that render the image useless in terms of uploading?)

Editing halos, where would I see those? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am really trying to learn so that I am not bothering you with mistakes like that in the future... Is that the contrast line between fuselage and sky? Or what does that actually mean in plain language?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by eurowing View Post
      Thank you for responding!

If I may ask where the image is dirty? I have been looking and looking, but for the life of it I can not spot it. Could you point me in the direction I should be looking, please? (I already learned that I should be looking for a sensor dust spot, but where is it? Also, is it allowed to remove it or does that render the image useless in terms of uploading?)
      Hmmm...yeah, not sure what I thought I saw, but looking again can't see any dust either. Sorry for the confusion.

Editing halos, where would I see those? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am really trying to learn so that I am not bothering you with mistakes like that in the future... Is that the contrast line between fuselage and sky? Or what does that actually mean in plain language?
      Parts of the sky are much darker around certain areas of the aircraft (wings, gear). Usually an artifact of lightening shadows area of toning down highlights. Definitely an effect from editing/processing.

Comment

Ah okay you had me worried there for a minute!

I will try to find halos, but that makes me wonder why I seem to overdo the processing. Learning by doing I guess...

I have one other question regarding sharpness if I may ask. What I do is to zoom in to make sure the image is sharp enough and then add sharpening as needed. Is that the right way to go? Especially since the lowered res image is being uploaded, not the full res which I am processing? And that one loses quite a bit of the detail during downsizing. (And for clarification, when you say an image is "soft", that means it is under sharpened, correct?)

Thanks!

Comment

Ah okay you had me worried there for a minute!

I will try to find halos, but that makes me wonder why I seem to overdo the processing. Learning by doing I guess...

I have one other question regarding sharpness if I may ask. What I do is to zoom in to make sure the image is sharp enough and then add sharpening as needed. Is that the right way to go? Especially since the lowered res image is being uploaded, not the full res which I am processing? And that one loses quite a bit of the detail during downsizing. (And for clarification, when you say an image is "soft", that means it is under sharpened, correct?)

Thanks!
          The only image you should be checking is the one you actually upload. How sharp the original (full-res) is or isn't is irrelevant. As for 'zooming in'.. I suggest editing your image at actual size, so there is no need to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Overprocesed (editing halos), dirty, oversharpened.
            Did I do better on this one? Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4712-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	1094022

Comment

Did I do better on this one? Thanks!

Name:	IMG_4712-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	1094022
              Would be acceptable for me.

Comment

Great, thank you!

Comment

Next I will try to get some really old film shots uploaded.
                  I have two question on this picture.
                  1) Is the quality acceptable?
                  2) Should I leave it like this or should I crop it and cut off some of that Garuda in the back?
                  Thanks!

Denis

Name:	35mm_Film_002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1,015.4 KB
ID:	1094165

Comment

Next I will try to get some really old film shots uploaded.
                    I have two question on this picture.
                    1) Is the quality acceptable?
                    2) Should I leave it like this or should I crop it and cut off some of that Garuda in the back?
                    Thanks!

Denis

Name:	35mm_Film_002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1,015.4 KB
ID:	1094165
                    The quality is somewhat sub-par. The main killer is the backlight. As for cropping, you could try to reduce the dead space, mainly on the right. In my opinion the photo would look better.
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post

The quality is somewhat sub-par. The main killer is the backlight. As for cropping, you could try to reduce the dead space, mainly on the right. In my opinion the photo would look better.
                      I can totally see what you say about the quality. And backlight, yes. That is not fixable I guess. Is that something you guys would look past since that airframe is not in the database yet? Or should I not even bother uploading it?

For cropping I am wondering whether you care about other planes being cut off in the same frame?

I guess these are the cropping options right here.

Name:	35mm_Film_002-4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	952.2 KB
ID:	1094206

Name:	35mm_Film_002-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	886.8 KB
ID:	1094205

Comment

I can totally see what you say about the quality. And backlight, yes. That is not fixable I guess. Is that something you guys would look past since that airframe is not in the database yet? Or should I not even bother uploading it?

For cropping I am wondering whether you care about other planes being cut off in the same frame?

I guess these are the cropping options right here.

Name:	35mm_Film_002-4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	952.2 KB
ID:	1094206

Name:	35mm_Film_002-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	886.8 KB
ID:	1094205
                        I'd go with the second crop. Given the age and (apparent) newness, quality (and backlighting) should be acceptable.

Comment

Great, thank you.

Next I am planning on uploading this beauty. Is the quality okay? And is it straight? I have a really hard time telling if it is or isn't...

Thanks!

Name:	35mm_Film_006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1094317

Comment

Great, thank you.

Next I am planning on uploading this beauty. Is the quality okay? And is it straight? I have a really hard time telling if it is or isn't...

Thanks!

Name:	35mm_Film_006.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1094317
                            Should be fine for the age. Anything 20+ years old will get a little more leniency in screening.

Comment

One more for today, please.
                              Would the backlight on this still be acceptable?
                              Thank you and have a great Sunday!

Name:	Negatives_01_002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	830.8 KB
ID:	1094333

Comment

One more for today, please.
                                Would the backlight on this still be acceptable?
                                Thank you and have a great Sunday!

Name:	Negatives_01_002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	830.8 KB
ID:	1094333
                                Depending on how rare it is on the DB, might be ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X