X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by DCA-view View Post
    Hi dlowwa, I tried to follow all the instructions. Eg, my username is in the title, the images included here are not already in the queue, I have submitted only 3 images (below the maximum 5), etc.
    Could you please tell me what I did wrong/ what to do differently? (just asking - not trying to argue)
    Thanks
    See #6 in the above link. Your images cannot be submitted to the queue as the maximum allowable size is 1920pix. Please post the exact images you plan to upload if you would like prescreening.

Leave a comment:

• DCA-view
    replied
    Hi dlowwa, I tried to follow all the instructions. Eg, my username is in the title, the images included here are not already in the queue, I have submitted only 3 images (below the maximum 5), etc.
    Could you please tell me what I did wrong/ what to do differently? (just asking - not trying to argue)
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by DCA-view View Post
    Hey all here is some fresh meat, from a new location much closer to the airport.
    I am shooting handheld, but still struggling with a bit of blur. Are most people here shooting handheld, or using tripods? And are most people using lenses with image stabilization?
    Thanks!
    Hi, if you'd like to get advice from the crew, please read here, and make sure you follow all of the requests:

https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...ning-from-crew

Won't comment on the above images since you will not be able to upload them.

Leave a comment:

• DCA-view
    replied
    Hey all here is some fresh meat, from a new location much closer to the airport.
    I am shooting handheld, but still struggling with a bit of blur. Are most people here shooting handheld, or using tripods? And are most people using lenses with image stabilization?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.JPEG
Views:	161
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1096235

Name:	IMG_1765.JPEG
Views:	161
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	1096236

Name:	IMG_1724_sm.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1096237

Leave a comment:

• DCA-view
    replied
    OK, thanks bgkicks49 and iad.spotter!

I guess what I've absorbed is that while the planes may seem pretty close from where I am, things will get easier if I can get even closer. That makes sense.

On settings - I have cranked up to 1/2000 and even 1/3000 in an attempt to reduce blur. Surprised to hear that 1/500 and 1/1000 are working for you! I'll try again...

On equipment - my photos above were using:
    Canon T6i
    Sigma 400mm f/5.6 - not especially good, just the most dirt-cheap big prime tele I can find. Produces annoying purple chromatic aberration.

Once I get closer, I can switch lenses to a Canon 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, which tends to run a lot crisper (and better AF) than the Sigma. Will see how that turns out and post again...

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• iad.spotter
    replied
    I would suggest starting out shooting from somewhere closer since I would assume you have entry-level gear. Gravelly point is a good place to start. (I'm a DC local as well.) Try learning how to set your camera settings properly to produce a good shot and keep in mind framing too. As the previous reply said feel free to create a prescreening thread and post your images there to get advice from members of the crew. Also I would take a good look at the upload guidelines before you start uploading. Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me!

Leave a comment:

• bgkicks49
    replied
    There's a great tips and tricks for processing thread here:

And there's also a 10 things I wish I knew before uploading to JP thread here:

I feel that these helped me as a new photographer uploading to JetPhotos.

Typically, if you understand your camera settings, you can use just about any camera. I'd say my typical settings for a well-lit sunny day on my camera are F/8, ISO between 100-200, and usually keep the shutter speed between 1/500 and 1/1000

Utilizing the pre-screening thread also helped me because It helps you learn from your mistakes before you use up a queue slot. The pre-screeners do a fantastic job of being up front with you and helping you along with tips/tricks as well as constructive feedback if a photo is lacking in a certain regard

Hope this helps just a little. Just remember, practice makes perfect

Leave a comment:

• DCA-view
    started a topic DCA-view : editing advice?

DCA-view : editing advice?

Hey all - new here! For the last few months I've been living in an apartment with a great view of the approach path to RWY19 at KDCA. Can watch planes all day, right from my balcony!
    These are a few of my best photos so far, and after looking at the kind of photos that get accepted here, I already know mine won't make the cut... its impressive how good and crisp a lot of the shots are here! How do you all do it? Any advice on the typical equipment, camera settings, etc greatly appreciated.

Name:	IMG_1517.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	1095917 -

Name:	IMG_1501.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	454.6 KB
ID:	1095918 -

Name:	IMG_1622.jpeg