Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-screening Advice Please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post
    With the contrast on the last two, is this a fixable "messed it up in post" rejection? The weather and lighting conditions were good on the day so I must admit, I wasn't expecting a contrast issue. Any advice on what I should be looking for when it comes to contrast in fair weather?
    In fact it looks like there was high thin clouds on that day flattening out the light, not necessarily what I would consider 'good light conditions'.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

      In fact it looks like there was high thin clouds on that day flattening out the light, not necessarily what I would consider 'good light conditions'.
      Fair enough. Given that there were blue skies south of the airfield and my position, I thought that the lighting was quite good. I didn't think about how the sky conditions behind would affect the composition of the image. Bare in mind that I've only had my DSLR for 6 months so these things are still not entirely obvious to me!

      Comment


      • Good evening, two from today that I'd like some thoughts on. 2-TRVL, possible heat haze? The Wizz. Right, this photo is completely unedited except for the crop. Would this crop be acceptable? The motive behind it is to draw attention into the fuselage.

        Cheers and stay safe! Click image for larger version

Name:	2-TRVL-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	1112408Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop check-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	1112409

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post
          Good evening, two from today that I'd like some thoughts on. 2-TRVL, possible heat haze? The Wizz. Right, this photo is completely unedited except for the crop. Would this crop be acceptable? The motive behind it is to draw attention into the fuselage.

          Cheers and stay safe! Click image for larger version

Name:	2-TRVL-1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	670.9 KB
ID:	1112408Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop check-1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	776.2 KB
ID:	1112409
          1. yes heat hazed
          2. borderline crop. It's tight enough, but generally not good to cut the flap fairing like that.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

            1. yes heat hazed
            2. borderline crop. It's tight enough, but generally not good to cut the flap fairing like that.
            Is there any way to combat heat haze from a photography side of things? It's not even been hot the last few days but I think I've scrapped over 80 pics from hazing. Hell, that's one of the cleanest of the bunch from the 15 or so I shot whilst TRVL taxied! ​​​​​​

            In regards to the Wizz, I think I will go with the full image. I don't think I can re-add the flap fairing without making the horizontal stab look bad.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post
              Is there any way to combat heat haze from a photography side of things? It's not even been hot the last few days but I think I've scrapped over 80 pics from hazing.
              Heat haze is caused by temperature differentials between air layers (usually close to the surface), and can occur any time hot or cold. Usually more common in summer since the ground heats up faster, but it can occur any time of year. Just think of how jetwash from an engine distorts the background regardless of whether it's hot or cold out, it's the same thing...but maybe easier for you if you think of it as 'atmospheric distortion' instead. You can combat it by getting closer to the subject so there is less atmosphere between you and the subject to distort, or you can pick times of the day/year when it is less likely there will be large differences in temperature near the ground (early morning, evening, etc.).

              Comment


              • Do not forget about photo editing!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

                  Heat haze is caused by temperature differentials between air layers (usually close to the surface), and can occur any time hot or cold. Usually more common in summer since the ground heats up faster, but it can occur any time of year. Just think of how jetwash from an engine distorts the background regardless of whether it's hot or cold out, it's the same thing...but maybe easier for you if you think of it as 'atmospheric distortion' instead. You can combat it by getting closer to the subject so there is less atmosphere between you and the subject to distort, or you can pick times of the day/year when it is less likely there will be large differences in temperature near the ground (early morning, evening, etc.).
                  Cheers mate. I did some research into the matter to try and find a better spotting area at Cardiff and think I've managed to find one.

                  I've now had a chance to edit the Wizzair but I'm not sure if I've oversaturated the airframe. Could you have a look please before I que it?

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	g-wukj-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	754.5 KB
ID:	1112693

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post

                    Cheers mate. I did some research into the matter to try and find a better spotting area at Cardiff and think I've managed to find one.

                    I've now had a chance to edit the Wizzair but I'm not sure if I've oversaturated the airframe. Could you have a look please before I que it?

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	g-wukj-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	754.5 KB
ID:	1112693
                    Color looks ok, but contrast is too harsh/dark.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

                      Color looks ok, but contrast is too harsh/dark.
                      Thanks bud.

                      Comment


                      • Hi there, 3 I'm not sure of. The Bizjet & Royal Flight both worry me for contrast. I've also reduced the contrast in the Wizz but I think I've overdone it? Click image for larger version

Name:	OK-XLS-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	661.5 KB
ID:	1112927Click image for larger version

Name:	ZE700-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	660.3 KB
ID:	1112928Click image for larger version

Name:	g-wukj-1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	726.2 KB
ID:	1112929

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post
                          Hi there, 3 I'm not sure of. The Bizjet & Royal Flight both worry me for contrast. I've also reduced the contrast in the Wizz but I think I've overdone it?
                          1. contrast, oversharpened
                          2. contrast, oversharpened, obstructed
                          3. dark/contrast (too strong)

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

                            1. contrast, oversharpened
                            2. contrast, oversharpened, obstructed
                            3. dark/contrast (too strong)
                            1/2 thank you.

                            I shall revisit the Wizz again. I think the issue may be saturation/exposure making the contrast too strong. The edit of that one never had any contrast applied, just levels changed. I'll scratch the current edit and start over with it.

                            Comment


                            • Hey there, 3 from today. Conditions were rather hazy. Not sure if the C130 would be passable but I'd rather ask and be told no here than que it. The two GA.... the background is hazed beyond belief but to my relatively untrained eye, the airframes came out sharp and unhazed (though BGGE might be too sharp?). It's been awhile since I was able to get out with the camera and conditions were not ideal.

                              Though I do have some relatively sharp images of a seagull that posed for me whilst the runway was closed if birdwatching is your thing?

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ZH889-1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	751.9 KB
ID:	1113791Click image for larger version

Name:	G-MOSH-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	1113790Click image for larger version

Name:	G-BGGE-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	830.9 KB
ID:	1113792

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by LewisW295 View Post
                                Hey there, 3 from today. Conditions were rather hazy. Not sure if the C130 would be passable but I'd rather ask and be told no here than que it. The two GA.... the background is hazed beyond belief but to my relatively untrained eye, the airframes came out sharp and unhazed (though BGGE might be too sharp?).
                                1 & 3 would be ok for me. 2 has contrast/underexposure issues. Haze barely visible on 1, but again, not an issue for me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X