Frequent ‘Undersharpened’ Rejection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent ‘Undersharpened’ Rejection

Hi all, I’m not normally one to publicly show frustration​​​​​. However. I have received many recent rejections solely for being ‘Undersharpened’ and I’m looking for some answers. One thing to note is I recently got granted the ability to upload at a higher quality (1600 px). However, since then I’ve noticed the rate of rejection getting higher and higher... a lot being focused on how sharp my image is. I’ll leave an example below. My questions being, are sharpening guidelines harder to meet when uploading a larger file? And secondly, why is this becoming such an issue when I am taking the notes and sharpening to the level that is required imo.
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Originally posted by Keeper1 View Post
    Hi all, I’m not normally one to publicly show frustration​​​​​. However. I have received many recent rejections solely for being ‘Undersharpened’ and I’m looking for some answers. One thing to note is I recently got granted the ability to upload at a higher quality (1600 px). However, since then I’ve noticed the rate of rejection getting higher and higher... a lot being focused on how sharp my image is. I’ll leave an example below. My questions being, are sharpening guidelines harder to meet when uploading a larger file? And secondly, why is this becoming such an issue when I am taking the notes and sharpening to the level that is required imo.
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I think you've already answered your own question:

Originally posted by Keeper1 View Post
    One thing to note is I recently got granted the ability to upload at a higher quality (1600 px). However, since then I’ve noticed the rate of rejection getting higher and higher...
    Higher resolution means that any flaws in the image will be much more apparent (especially softness, as you've noticed), something that most seem not to realize when requesting and then trying to take advantage of larger upload limits. I have no restrictions on the file size I can limit, but never go above 1600pix. In fact, if I feel the image is not good enough for 1600pix, then I won't bother trying to upload - and the effect of this can be seen with my acceptance ratio

As a screener I 100% can see a correlation for uploaders between resolution of the image uploaded, and acceptance ratio: the higher the resolution, the lower the acceptance rate. If you find that at higher resolutions your acceptance rate is dropping, you have two solutions: go back to a lower resolution, or be more selective and only upload your best images.

Comment

The photo is really quite soft but the sky when equalized is bordering being over processed, try selecting the sky around the aircraft wit the magic wand tool, right mouse click, select inverse, this will then enable you to sharpen the photo more without worrying about over processing the sky as it will concentrate more on the aircraft. A photo at 1600px should have plenty in it to be able to sharpen to the desired amount. Try it you might get what your looking for
      Regards,
      Darryl

Comment

Thanks Darryl and Dana for your info. Will take this into consideration in the future.

Comment

Pleasure, its worth messing around with different editing techniques, sooner or later you will nail it, but you must have a photo that is worth keeping though other wise you are wasting your time, good luck
          Regards,
          Darryl

Comment

Photo indeed looks soft but this is a wonderful image, throw in some more sharpness and you'll be good to go
            My pictures: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/46959

Comment

Working...
            X