Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postscreening / rejection advice [t1studiospl]

Hello all,
    I've recently started uploading some of my photos to share with a broader public via JetPhotos, so I am still learning how to implement requirements and guidelines towards uploading properly processed and prepared photos. Amongst several rejections mainly due to Overprocessed reasons I have toned down my workflow, however now I have received a following rejection:

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Will someone be so kind and explain how to avoid soft/undersharpened rejection reason without getting an overprocessed flag (keep in mind I always try to minimize editing halos) - or is this photo badly taken and will never achieve appropriate level of quality to be accepted.

Secondly, over the course of several uploads this one is the first being rejected due to JPG compression artefacts - my export settings are the same since the beginning - sRGB color space, 100% quality index (i.e. lowest level of compression) and resize to the 1280-by-720 pix with 240dpi using bicubic algorithm (afair). I usually position the plane in the center of the frame while taking photo, thus the actual width of the cropped frame I work with is roughly 4500+ pixels. I believe there is a lot of initial data to avoid compression artefacts while scaling down, however, may those artefacts be a result of how the photo is processed?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg.

Originally posted by t1studiospl View Post
    Hello all,
    I've recently started uploading some of my photos to share with a broader public via JetPhotos, so I am still learning how to implement requirements and guidelines towards uploading properly processed and prepared photos. Amongst several rejections mainly due to Overprocessed reasons I have toned down my workflow, however now I have received a following rejection:

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Will someone be so kind and explain how to avoid soft/undersharpened rejection reason without getting an overprocessed flag (keep in mind I always try to minimize editing halos) - or is this photo badly taken and will never achieve appropriate level of quality to be accepted.

Secondly, over the course of several uploads this one is the first being rejected due to JPG compression artefacts - my export settings are the same since the beginning - sRGB color space, 100% quality index (i.e. lowest level of compression) and resize to the 1280-by-720 pix with 240dpi using bicubic algorithm (afair). I usually position the plane in the center of the frame while taking photo, thus the actual width of the cropped frame I work with is roughly 4500+ pixels. I believe there is a lot of initial data to avoid compression artefacts while scaling down, however, may those artefacts be a result of how the photo is processed?

Thanks in advance,
    Greg.
    This one looks close to being acceptable, though it's likely soft due to the relatively wide-open aperture you used (f/4.5).

Improper sharpening is unlikely to lead to a processing rejection, as they are unrelated problems. Overprocessing almost always refers attempts to adjust the shadow or highlight areas that result in the creation of a halo affect around said areas. It is easy to avoid if you simply don't make such adjustments. Sharpening can usually be addressed by simply adding more (assuming the original image is sharp enough - if not, no amount of additional sharpening is likely to help).

As for a compression rejection, it can be related to jpeg save settings, but can also be the result of editing, especially noticeable in the sky for example, with things like noise or vignetting reduction. I actually don't see compression as being a big issue with your image, only the softness.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

This one looks close to being acceptable, though it's likely soft due to the relatively wide-open aperture you used (f/4.5).

Improper sharpening is unlikely to lead to a processing rejection, as they are unrelated problems. Overprocessing almost always refers attempts to adjust the shadow or highlight areas that result in the creation of a halo affect around said areas. It is easy to avoid if you simply don't make such adjustments. Sharpening can usually be addressed by simply adding more (assuming the original image is sharp enough - if not, no amount of additional sharpening is likely to help).

As for a compression rejection, it can be related to jpeg save settings, but can also be the result of editing, especially noticeable in the sky for example, with things like noise or vignetting reduction. I actually don't see compression as being a big issue with your image, only the softness.
      I usually stop down my current prime lens from f/2.8 to 4.5 - 5.6 as I perceive this region to be the sharpest (also I try not to boost the ISO level to keep a steady 1/1600-1/2000s. of shutter speed - unfortunately this lens does not have the IS, so at 100mm (effectively 160mm on crop body) it is wise to keep it in that range to freeze the action handheld. Shooting in burst I usually get a lot of tack sharp photos, though I select the one with relatively acceptable composition. As far as sharpening in post processing, I will give it a try and add some more next time.

Concerning JPG compression I always apply lens profile correction, thus, I believe I shall tweak my settings more in the noise reduction section. Since I have run out of solutions on how to adjust saving settings while exporting from RAW to JPG (as aforementioned this one is the first photo to be flagged with this issue) I presume this one was due to the actual composition and background layout.

Thanks for a fast reply!.
      G.

Comment

Hello All,
        recently one of my photos has been rejected:

Would you advise me on what type of category might be missing (shall I check the box for the "Night shot"?). I have never submitted "silhouette" photo, thus any advice towards what type of correction shall I perform on this file will be appreciated (or is it uncorrectable?).
        Regards,
        G.

Comment

Originally posted by t1studiospl View Post
          Hello All,
          recently one of my photos has been rejected:

Would you advise me on what type of category might be missing (shall I check the box for the "Night shot"?). I have never submitted "silhouette" photo, thus any advice towards what type of correction shall I perform on this file will be appreciated (or is it uncorrectable?).
          Regards,
          G.
          Yes, should be night shot. Silhouette images are accepted, but the whole frame needs to be bright enough for it to work.

Comment

Working...
          X