ms spot- prescreening advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thanks
    Do I have any chance with the pictures I posted before (Etihad, Egyptair...)?
    They are by far more interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by ms spot View Post
      Okay, thanks
      Do I have any chance with the pictures I posted before (Etihad, Egyptair...)?
      They are by far more interesting...
      see:

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Images are all soft/blurry, so would be rejected.

Comment

Hi, are these images sharp enough?
        Is the contrast on the 2nd one ok?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_31new56.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	552.6 KB
ID:	1106019Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_32new13.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	1106020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_31new69.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	1106021
        Thanks!

Comment

Hi, are these images sharp enough?
          1 perhaps, 2 definitely not, 3 probably

Is the contrast on the 2nd one ok?
          Not really, but that is a moot point given above. 3rd also too dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ms spot
            Hi, is this image ok?
            If not, on what can I improve?

Thank you!
            Image is blurry. This cannot be improved by editing, only by better shooting technique.

Comment

So...what would be a better shooting technique?
              I thought that the focus was wrong on recent pictures (like the Egyptair, Etihad above) so I ensured myself that the autofocus worked correctly...
              I also changed the shutter speed to 1/400 as this was your advice to me...
              Where can you see blurriness?
              Of course the background is blurry but the aircraft is imo sharpened and focused. Thus, everything is clearly readable and not "blurry" as I understand it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_32new33.JPG Views:	0 Size:	571.7 KB ID:	1106116
              Would it be possible for you to show me how I can recognize that in the picture?

Apparently, this one is better (you did not mention "blurry" when you prescreened it)
              What is the difference?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_31new56.JPG Views:	0 Size:	563.3 KB ID:	1106117

Is it because of my lense as it is a cheaper one...?
              Or maybe I have got a "trembling hand " ?

As you can see, they were both taken at the same location...

Comment

Would it be possible for you to show me how I can recognize that in the picture?.
                Whole aircraft is either extremely soft or blurry, no special technique needed to see this. If I showed this to another screener without any prior comment, they would 100% say "wow, that's really soft/kind of blurry". WIthout seeing exact settings, conditions when you shot, etc.. I could only guess as to why.

Apparently, this one is better (you did not mention "blurry" when you prescreened it)
                What is the difference?[/QUOTE]

This one might be a bit soft, but nowhere nearly as bad as the one above. Again, without a complete list of all variables, I could only guess as to why.

Comment

Do you mean the EXIF- Data?
                  I do not know how to copy it in the forum and it is in german so I'll try to list you the variables(of the condor) like this:

Camera / Manufacturer: Canon EOS250d
                  Aperture: F11
                  Shutter speed: 1/320
                  ISO: 100
                  Focal length: 218mm
                  Measuring mode: Center- weighted
                  Flash: without flash
                  Program: TV- automatic for aperture
                  whitebalance: automatic
                  Height: 697px
                  Width: 1169px
                  Horizontal resolution: 72dpi
                  vertical resolution: 72dpi
                  Picture depth: 24
                  Auflösungseinheit: 2 (don't know the word, maybe: dissolution unity)
                  Taken date: 30.12.2020, 11:08

Maybe it would help to edit the RAW- file instead of the JPEG?

I hope this helped...

Comment

Do you mean the EXIF- Data?
                    I do not know how to copy it in the forum and it is in german so I'll try to list you the variables(of the condor) like this:

Camera / Manufacturer: Canon EOS250d
                    Aperture: F11
                    Shutter speed: 1/320
                    ISO: 100
                    Focal length: 218mm
                    Measuring mode: Center- weighted
                    Flash: without flash
                    Program: TV- automatic for aperture
                    whitebalance: automatic
                    Height: 697px
                    Width: 1169px
                    Horizontal resolution: 72dpi
                    vertical resolution: 72dpi
                    Picture depth: 24
                    Auflösungseinheit: 2 (don't know the word, maybe: dissolution unity)
                    Taken date: 30.12.2020, 11:08

Maybe it would help to edit the RAW- file instead of the JPEG?

I hope this helped...
                    That's one set of variables, but only one. Shutter speed seems a bit low, but not totally unreasonable. The image dimensions doesn't seem to match the image you posted above, and also wouldn't be what I would expect to come out of the camera. I assume that's info from a (different) already edited file?

Comment

These are infos of the image posted above.
                      Do you need more information?
                      Dimensions of the original image would be 2400 and 1600px but I think this is a pre-set dimension of all my JPEG images. Apart from that, it would be the same info.
                      I can also give you the same information for the Qatar but it would not differ much from the one I already showed you.

Thanks for the help, happy new year!

Comment

These are infos of the image posted above.
                        That is not correct. The exif lists the resolution as 1169x697. The above image is 1190x681, so obviously not the same.

Dimensions of the original image would be 2400 and 1600px but I think this is a pre-set dimension of all my JPEG images.
                        That does not seem correct either. A 250D should have a native resolution of 6000 x 4000, so something is amiss, either with how you are processing/saving your files, or your understanding of how the resolution can and will affect the sharpness. If you are not starting with a full-res image, any softness will much harder to hide.

Comment

Indeed, these dimensions refered to another (sharpened) version of the same picture.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_32neww33.JPG Views:	0 Size:	580.0 KB ID:	1106170
                          The original picture with the dimensions 2400 and 1600 is that one:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3233.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.70 MB ID:	1106171
                          I have got the same picture in 2 different formats: JPEG and CR3
                          If I start with the CR3 file (which has the resolution of 6000: 4000) the result looks like that:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_32nbnnn33.JPG Views:	0 Size:	716.9 KB ID:	1106172
                          Is the sharpening better now and could this picture be fixed by editing?
                          Unfortunately, i am not well educated in editing CR3 files (how much saturation do I need....?), so would it be possible for you to tell me if I have more chances with the 3rd one and if saturation, colour etc. are okay?

Comment

The original picture with the dimensions 2400 and 1600 is that one:
                            Again, you say original, but the image is only 2400 pix, which is less than half the resolution you should be getting out of the camera. Nevertheless, there's enough resolution to see here that the image is quite soft, actually blurry in some parts. A higher resolution will not fix this. You will need to improve your shooting technique to get better results out of the camera. My best guess is the poor quality is a result of a combination of factors: distance, lens shake/motion blur, and a soft lens - mostly the latter two. Editing will not fix this.

If I start with the CR3 file (which has the resolution of 6000: 4000) the result looks like that:
                            Again, this is not 6000pix, but as I just stated, that's irrelevant at this point.

Comment

The first edit based on the 2400pix JPEG file (which is original) and the second on the 6000pix CR3 file (which is also original)
                              I hoped I could avoid the softness by starting with the CR3 file.
                              As this is obviously not possible I will try to improve my technique as you described it.

Thanks for your help, that made it clearer for me!

Comment

The first edit based on the 2400pix JPEG file (which is original) and the second on the 6000pix CR3 file (which is also original)
                                I hoped I could avoid the softness by starting with the CR3 file.
                                As this is obviously not possible I will try to improve my technique as you described it.

Thanks for your help, that made it clearer for me!
                                I doubt, the 2400px is right out of the camera. The photo does not even have EXIF infos.
                                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                                X