TheBoeing747 - Prescreening advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheBoeing747 - Prescreening advice

Hello fellow spotters! This is my first post on the forums so please be gentle

I have a question regarding the centering of an aircraft in my photos. I took a photo of N795HTs arrival today and have been wondering whether it would be better to center it based on the tip of the snorkel to the top of the rotor or just center it based from the wheel to the rotor (completely ignoring the snorkel). I tried looking through other examples of Skycrane photos but am still confused on which one would be better in the end. I will share my two examples of it (and if there are any other changes needed please share)

Happy spotting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	N795HT 1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	1102090Click image for larger version

Name:	N795HT 2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	1102091

Originally posted by TheBoeing747 View Post
    Hello fellow spotters! This is my first post on the forums so please be gentle

I have a question regarding the centering of an aircraft in my photos. I took a photo of N795HTs arrival today and have been wondering whether it would be better to center it based on the tip of the snorkel to the top of the rotor or just center it based from the wheel to the rotor (completely ignoring the snorkel). I tried looking through other examples of Skycrane photos but am still confused on which one would be better in the end. I will share my two examples of it (and if there are any other changes needed please share)

Happy spotting!

Name:	N795HT 1.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	1102090Click image for larger version

Name:	N795HT 2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	1102091
    Bottom one is better. Center on fuselage, ignore the hose/snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Bottom one is better. Center on fuselage, ignore the hose/snorkel.
      Alright thank you! I figured that is what would be best but its good to clarify.

Comment

Hello everyone! I am back with another prescreening request. I have this photo that I am currently stuck between whether it is backlit/top lit or would be borderline front lit. Based on the fuselage it looks top lit but based on the tail it looks front lit to me and I wanted a second opinion. As always I am looking for advice on further editing if needed! Thanks everyone. Click image for larger version

Name:	T76 N436DF 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	1103148

Comment

Hello everyone! I am back with another prescreening request. I have this photo that I am currently stuck between whether it is backlit/top lit or would be borderline front lit. Based on the fuselage it looks top lit but based on the tail it looks front lit to me and I wanted a second opinion. As always I am looking for advice on further editing if needed! Thanks everyone. Click image for larger version

Name:	T76 N436DF 1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	1103148
          Not quite backlit. Other than that can't comment since it is not the final image you will upload.

Comment

Hi Screeners!

Just checking in for this photo which got rejected a few hours ago.
            https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=8707005 (same photo that i posted up above)

It got rejected for vignette, and I honestly believe that its ever so slight that it can pass. I honestly cannot see the vignette difference on the normal image (but i do notice it on the 'check for dust' option.) If thats enough reasoning for a good appeal I will go for it. If not I will wait for my queue slots to open again

Comment

Hi Screeners!

Just checking in for this photo which got rejected a few hours ago.
              https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=8707005 (same photo that i posted up above)

It got rejected for vignette, and I honestly believe that its ever so slight that it can pass. I honestly cannot see the vignette difference on the normal image (but i do notice it on the 'check for dust' option.) If thats enough reasoning for a good appeal I will go for it. If not I will wait for my queue slots to open again
              Pretty noticeable without using the check for dust feature.

Comment

Name:	PRB Spot 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	517.2 KB
ID:	1106180Click image for larger version

Name:	PRB Spot 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	742.6 KB
ID:	1106181 Hi Screeners! Happy New Years! First prescreening request is for two photos. (Both of which have not been fully edited yet)

I've had these photos for a little while now and was wondering if they would be able to squeeze under the Spotting Location category at the airport. I was just wondering if it covers enough of the items required to make the cut as a spotting location. Maybe If the photos would fit under a different part of the airport overview then I'd be fine with that too. Any other advice is helpful as always

Comment

I've had these photos for a little while now and was wondering if they would be able to squeeze under the Spotting Location category at the airport. I was just wondering if it covers enough of the items required to make the cut as a spotting location. Maybe If the photos would fit under a different part of the airport overview then I'd be fine with that too. Any other advice is helpful as always
                  These do not qualify as spotting location since no spotting location is visible, nor do they qualify for airport overview.

Comment

Name:	N905SW 2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	556.9 KB
ID:	1107354 Hello screeners! Checking in with another prescreening request. I've been playing around with this photo for the past hour or so and this is the best result I could get out of it. Would this be good enough for an acceptance? It was a pretty bad day for spotting (had just rained and the clouds were finally moving out) and this was the best shot I got that day. Any tips on making it better? Would appreciate just a small list of things to change so that way I can make it the best I can make it for the JP database! I'll make a follow up post with the updates just to make sure. Thanks screeners!

Comment

. Would this be good enough for an acceptance?
                      It would not.

Any tips on making it better?
                      Do not think this is salvageable for upload sorry.. too many severe quality issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Do not think this is salvageable for upload sorry.. too many severe quality issues.
                        Ah thats too bad. Thanks for the help anyway dlowwa, you're the best. I might have oversharpened it to compensate for the wingtips being out of focus so it made everything grainy. I'll come back if I can solve the quality issues.

Comment

Name:	N627QX 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	1112619Hi Screeners!

Currently working on this photo. First time working on a cloudy type photo, wondering what the best way to get the best contrast is. What would be acceptable for contrast that isn't too high or too low? I've also linked the histogram from Lightroom if you want to check it out so far. Also want to get opinion on sharpening. Is this too soft? Thanks as always Click image for larger version

Name:	N627QX_Histogram.png
Views:	82
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1112620

Comment

Name:	N627QX 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	1112619Hi Screeners!

Currently working on this photo. First time working on a cloudy type photo, wondering what the best way to get the best contrast is. What would be acceptable for contrast that isn't too high or too low? I've also linked the histogram from Lightroom if you want to check it out so far. Also want to get opinion on sharpening. Is this too soft? Thanks as always Click image for larger version

Name:	N627QX_Histogram.png
Views:	82
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1112620
                            Histogram will tell you very little in regards to contrast for JP since the histogram is concerned with exposure over the whole image, while we are usually focused on just the aircraft.

Your images is soft, slightly yellow, and has poor (weak) contrast.

Comment

Hello Screeners!

I'm back with some more prescreening requests before I ship things off to the unusually large queue. Want to make sure everything is right before sending it off on the wait.

Name:	N439DF T74 1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	587.4 KB
ID:	1116836 i have this here edited photo of a CalFire S-2 that I was hoping to check if it was sharpened enough. To me it feels like the rear is plenty sharpened but the nose is still a bit soft? Would this be acceptable or how would this have to be fixed? I'm pretty sure it has maxed out the sharpening in lightroom, maybe run it through again? I'm trying to find the best way to do this without introducing JPG compression on it or adding too much noise.

Name:	N9125M Siller 25M 2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	614.8 KB
ID:	1116837 Also this photo of a Siller CH-54 Skycrane. Was wondering if this would be considered backlit? Also I feel the editing is off (and this one I can guarantee is undersharpened). Just want an opinion on this one as well for the backlit/bad processing maybe.

Once again thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X