• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Felix448 View Post
    Hello,
    I recently uploaded a few photos, on one of the rejects I'd like some input from you as I, apart maybe from the overcast nature of the day, need some help to know what went wrong here.

Click image for larger version Name:	JPEG_JP-5882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.3 KB ID:	1102647

Reject reason:
    - Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) (1)
    - Undersharpened (Soft) (2)
    - Too much or too little contrast - Most likely due to general lighting condition
    - Categories wrong or missing (3)

1. The aircraft is mostly centered on this shot. I suppose the reason here is that I doesnīt reach the edges of the frame?

2. Undersharpened: I have the original file here in front of me, itīs perfectly sharp only the background shows a little bit of blur due to being out of focus and the nature of a panning shot, although only very minor. I later exported this photo for upload downscaled to 1280x, standard sharpening for screen-viewing on the highest quality setting in Lightroom. Which part of the frame is considered unsharp / not usable? (I'm currently limited to 1280x, I don't really see how I could pull more sharpness out of this resolution.)

3. Last one, I believe I checked the boxes for airport overview & cargo for this photo. Cargo canīt be wrong so it must have been "Airport Overview"? I suppose thatīs only to be used if the photo focuses only on an airport entirely and not an aircraft with a few buildings of the airport in the frame?

Thanks for the help and best regards,

Felix
    Hi Felix, I screened this one. While sharpening is only a minor issue, the centering and contrast are more significant problems. The former two are easily fixable with a better edit, but the latter is likely not, due to the weather conditions at the time. Images taken in cloudy/overcast conditions will always be more difficult to get accepted.

As for categories, you are correct Overview does not apply to any image with simply part of the airport visible, otherwise half of the images in the DB would qualify.

Leave a comment:

• AKH
    replied
    Hi Felix,
    I think (1) and (3) go together in this case since it depends a lot on what you want to show.
    Regarding (1), the aircraft is very low in frame and there is a lot of dead space left and right. I think it could be solved if you put the edges of the frame close to nose and stabilizer and close above the radar on top of the tower. Also the photo could need some degrees of rotation to the left since the horizon does not look level. After upload into the queue you can still check with the provided tools for centering, horizon and contrast issues.
    The category for this photo shall not be "Airport Overview" since the aircraft is the main subject. "Cargo" may work (I never used that category, so I am not sure).
    Contrast...yes, likely because of the weather and most likely not possible to fix.
    My quick guess on that.
    Regards AKH

Leave a comment:

• Felix448 - Help with editing / deciding on photos to upload

Hello,
    I recently uploaded a few photos, on one of the rejects I'd like some input from you as I, apart maybe from the overcast nature of the day, need some help to know what went wrong here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	JPEG_JP-5882.jpg Views:	0 Size:	613.3 KB ID:	1102647

Reject reason:
    - Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered) (1)
    - Undersharpened (Soft) (2)
    - Too much or too little contrast - Most likely due to general lighting condition
    - Categories wrong or missing (3)

1. The aircraft is mostly centered on this shot. I suppose the reason here is that I doesnīt reach the edges of the frame?

2. Undersharpened: I have the original file here in front of me, itīs perfectly sharp only the background shows a little bit of blur due to being out of focus and the nature of a panning shot, although only very minor. I later exported this photo for upload downscaled to 1280x, standard sharpening for screen-viewing on the highest quality setting in Lightroom. Which part of the frame is considered unsharp / not usable? (I'm currently limited to 1280x, I don't really see how I could pull more sharpness out of this resolution.)

3. Last one, I believe I checked the boxes for airport overview & cargo for this photo. Cargo canīt be wrong so it must have been "Airport Overview"? I suppose thatīs only to be used if the photo focuses only on an airport entirely and not an aircraft with a few buildings of the airport in the frame?

Thanks for the help and best regards,

Felix
    Attached Files
Working...
X