Kamryn - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kamryn - Editing Advice

Hi all! My name is Kamryn and I'm a plane spotter out of Sin City in Nevada. I have a few photos I've taken today of the rare UFC Charter for Etihad so I'm wondering which one's could possibly make it.

The 1280 pixel length maximum also decreases the size so i'm pretty limited. I'm also new to the forum so excuse me for any errors on the format This photo I previewed below was my most sharpened but the problem was is the Vertical Stabilizer and wing was cutoff. I did indeed see quite a few people have photos accepted like this. but i'm still not sure. Thank you for reading!

Click image for larger version  Name:	A6-ETH-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	394.3 KB ID:	1107211

Originally posted by Kamryn View Post
    Hi all! My name is Kamryn and I'm a plane spotter out of Sin City in Nevada. I have a few photos I've taken today of the rare UFC Charter for Etihad so I'm wondering which one's could possibly make it.

The 1280 pixel length maximum also decreases the size so i'm pretty limited. I'm also new to the forum so excuse me for any errors on the format This photo I previewed below was my most sharpened but the problem was is the Vertical Stabilizer and wing was cutoff. I did indeed see quite a few people have photos accepted like this. but i'm still not sure. Thank you for reading!

Click image for larger version Name:	A6-ETH-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	394.3 KB ID:	1107211
    Hi, crop should be acceptable, but would be rejected for overprocessed due to editing halo(s) around the aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Hi, crop should be acceptable, but would be rejected for overprocessed due to editing halo(s) around the aircraft.
      Thanks a bunch! I'll reduce the Dehaze and Clarity which should do the trick. much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks a bunch! I'll reduce the Dehaze and Clarity which should do the trick. much appreciated!
        I would advise you not to use any dehaze or clarity at all, there is no need and it becomes obvious with the photo and will lead to rejections from subsequent halos etc. Best use the tone graph in lightroom (if you are using lightroom)

The photo is a good one so it doesn't need any drastic editing such as dehaze or clarity, most can be sorted with just the tonal curve.

Comment

Originally posted by gdinscoll View Post

I would advise you not to use any dehaze or clarity at all, there is no need and it becomes obvious with the photo and will lead to rejections from subsequent halos etc. Best use the tone graph in lightroom (if you are using lightroom)

The photo is a good one so it doesn't need any drastic editing such as dehaze or clarity, most can be sorted with just the tonal curve.
          That's reasonable, I often use clarity as it brings out the reflections. I rarely use the Dehaze slider. I'll use both at a maximum of 15 hence the halos.

Comment

That's reasonable, I often use clarity as it brings out the reflections. I rarely use the Dehaze slider. I'll use both at a maximum of 15 hence the halos.
            Sure, you can use the equaliser on the website to check if its good before committing to upload it. Boosting the shadows bar will also, in some cases, cause halos, so best keep an eye on that too

Comment

I think you're missing the point..using those tools AT ANY LEVEL will cause halos. I can see your image is already in the queue, and it will be rejected for overprocessed/contrast. You can leave it in if you don't mind losing the slot when it is inevitably rejected, or you can re-work it and post it again here for comments.

Comment

I think you're missing the point..using those tools AT ANY LEVEL will cause halos. I can see your image is already in the queue, and it will be rejected for overprocessed/contrast. You can leave it in if you don't mind losing the slot when it is inevitably rejected, or you can re-work it and post it again here for comments.
                I do indeed see what you're saying, What I meant is that I use the clarity slider at a maximum of 15 which usually doesn't cast any visible halos. I understand what you mean though. Sorry for the miscommunication. I'm going take it out of the queue and give it a complete re-edit. I appreciate the tips and assistance!

Comment

Unfortunately I believe I lost the raw un-edited image. Dumb mistake by me to not save it before exiting out of lightroom.

I do have 2 newly edited images, wondering if either could make it. The first one I'm not quite sure due to the sun reflection.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Again, even with no equaliser you can see the halos on the rear tail of the first photo

Comment

Unfortunately I believe I lost the raw un-edited image. Dumb mistake by me to not save it before exiting out of lightroom.

I do have 2 newly edited images, wondering if either could make it. The first one I'm not quite sure due to the sun reflection.
                      Both would be rejected for overprocessed, and likely soft as well.

Comment

Both would be rejected for overprocessed, and likely soft as well.
                        Is the 2nd one overprocessed? I'm starting to see the halos on the first near the tail but not any for the one with the Vegas Strip.

Comment

Is the 2nd one overprocessed? I'm starting to see the halos on the first near the tail but not any for the one with the Vegas Strip.
                          Yes. Halo between the mountain tops and the sky. You really need to lay off whatever tool it is you're using. The washed out contrast is also a big clue that you're overusing whatever it is you are.

Comment

I've tried my best to improve from the advice above, since then, I've been able to get a couple images accepted. I have a new photo that I just can't seem to know if it'll be accepted or not. The taxiway is at an incline making it tough for me. I used the aircraft's windows as a horizon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	N901WN-B.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	1108857

Comment

I've tried my best to improve from the advice above, since then, I've been able to get a couple images accepted. I have a new photo that I just can't seem to know if it'll be accepted or not. The taxiway is at an incline making it tough for me. I used the aircraft's windows as a horizon.
                              Image is soft/blurry/heat hazed, so the horizon is really a moot point.

Comment

Working...
                              X