X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. soft, overprocessed, centering
    2. soft, borderline overprocessed/centering

Hey dlowwa - appreciate the pre-screen advice. Seems I'm struggling a bit with understanding the feedback on softness and the photo being overprocessed. I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much sharpening can I apply to the photo before it gets flagged for being overprocessed. Seems I'm already over the line on processing, so I fear that any further adjustment to sharpen the photo would push me further into the overprocessed territory.

Any tips you can suggest on how to address those before I go ask the photo editing community? I assume, getting pre-screen advice here and then posting in the other communities for specific help is acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      Hey dlowwa - appreciate the pre-screen advice. Seems I'm struggling a bit with understanding the feedback on softness and the photo being overprocessed. I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much sharpening can I apply to the photo before it gets flagged for being overprocessed.
      Sharpening and overprocessing are unrelated. Overprocessing in the context of JP can mean a variety of things, but usually (and in your case too) refers to editing halos caused by adjustments to exposure/contrast with tools or settings such as shadow/highlights, clarity, vibrance, D-lighting, etc.. Changing the sharpening parameters will do nothing to affect this. You will need to figure out the setting/step in your editing process that is causing them (halos), and remove it if you would like the halos to disappear.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa ! That helped clarify a lot for me.

With that said, I'm giving my Atlas Air shot another try. I feel like the sky is a bit dark, but I'm also very unsure of that at this point. Removed all the edits except a slight adjustment to the exposure and added in some sharpness. I'm not sure if I'm just missing the centering advice, but this to me seemed like the aircraft was too high in the shot. I'm using rule of thirds to determine that where I try to split the fuselage between the top and bottom third of the grid.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks dlowwa ! That helped clarify a lot for me.

With that said, I'm giving my Atlas Air shot another try. I feel like the sky is a bit dark, but I'm also very unsure of that at this point. Removed all the edits except a slight adjustment to the exposure and added in some sharpness. I'm not sure if I'm just missing the centering advice, but this to me seemed like the aircraft was too high in the shot. I'm using rule of thirds to determine that where I try to split the fuselage between the top and bottom third of the grid.
          Soft, and yes, slightly high in the frame. Processing looks fine.

Comment

Making progress. I understand softness to be "blurriness." I've adjusted the sharpness to make up for that and adjusted a bit more on this to try and make it clearer. I may just not have the eyes of softness, so appreciate the calibration.
            Attached Files

Comment

Making progress. I understand softness to be "blurriness." I've adjusted the sharpness to make up for that and adjusted a bit more on this to try and make it clearer. I may just not have the eyes of softness, so appreciate the calibration.
              I see little difference in the sharpening, and no difference in the centering.

Comment

I see little difference in the sharpening, and no difference in the centering.
                Hmmm.. I'll give it one more try here before I send it over to photo editing for advice on how to work it within the photo editing apps:

I lowered the aircraft in the frame even lower. To me, it seems as though now the aircraft is far too low in the frame. I'm happy to be wrong. I am really trying to steer clear of manipulating any of the other sliders within Lightroom and just trying to increase the sharpness. This time, I'm attaching the original and the one I'm working on for the upload to JP (watermark on the original).

Curious if you think the new upload is better/closer to being acceptable. If not, based on what the original looks like, should I just consider this a lost photo?
                Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm.. I'll give it one more try here before I send it over to photo editing for advice on how to work it within the photo editing apps:

I lowered the aircraft in the frame even lower. To me, it seems as though now the aircraft is far too low in the frame. I'm happy to be wrong. I am really trying to steer clear of manipulating any of the other sliders within Lightroom and just trying to increase the sharpness. This time, I'm attaching the original and the one I'm working on for the upload to JP (watermark on the original).

Curious if you think the new upload is better/closer to being acceptable. If not, based on what the original looks like, should I just consider this a lost photo?
                  The one labeled 'original' in this post is centered correctly. The other is too low

All of the versions I have see so far are too soft, but I cannot tell if this because of poor editing (and thus fixable) or the poor quality of the original image (and thus a lost photo). Without seeing the latter, I can't be sure.

Comment

The one labeled 'original' in this post is centered correctly. The other is too low

All of the versions I have see so far are too soft, but I cannot tell if this because of poor editing (and thus fixable) or the poor quality of the original image (and thus a lost photo). Without seeing the latter, I can't be sure.
                    The photo labeled as "Original" is also the original image. I did not perform any editing on that photo besides to crop photo and take out unnecessary space.

Comment

The photo labeled as "Original" is also the original image. I did not perform any editing on that photo besides to crop photo and take out unnecessary space.
                      ...so then it's not actually the original image is it? It's been edited, and re-sized as well (I hope)..so back to my previous statement, without seeing the original image, I can't say for sure whether it's worth working on any further.

Comment

...so then it's not actually the original image is it? It's been edited, and re-sized as well (I hope)..so back to my previous statement, without seeing the original image, I can't say for sure whether it's worth working on any further.
                        Sorry about that - I went back and checked and it looks like the edits carried over. I thought I had posted the original original. Here it is
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry about that - I went back and checked and it looks like the edits carried over. I thought I had posted the original original. Here it is
                          Yes, this seems to be an original..and it is extremely soft. I've cropped it closer, and attached the most similar angle shot I could find of one of my own photos to compare. Hopefully you can notice the difference in quality/sharpness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38775 (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	1110885Click image for larger version

Name:	DS2_8814.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	1110886

Compare them side-by-side if you can, and you can maybe understand why you will be at a disadvantage starting with a lower-quality image.

Comment

Yes, this seems to be an original..and it is extremely soft. I've cropped it closer, and attached the most similar angle shot I could find of one of my own photos to compare. Hopefully you can notice the difference in quality/sharpness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38775 (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	1110885Click image for larger version

Name:	DS2_8814.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	1110886

Compare them side-by-side if you can, and you can maybe understand why you will be at a disadvantage starting with a lower-quality image.
                            Totally. I can see it without even having them side by side. Also, great shot!

So, in your opinion, is the photo I have salvageable or should I just toss it and move on with my life focusing on other photos?

Comment

Totally. I can see it without even having them side by side. Also, great shot!

So, in your opinion, is the photo I have salvageable or should I just toss it and move on with my life focusing on other photos?
                              If it had been mine (and just a regular subject), I would have deleted it before I got home - but that's just my own personal standards.

Comment

If it had been mine (and just a regular subject), I would have deleted it before I got home - but that's just my own personal standards.
                                Fair enough - point taken haha. I work for the company that makes the thrust reversers on the 747-8, so I was really hanging on to that photo. Not sure how many more opportunities I have to get a 747 these days from where I am.

Moving on though, thoughts on the A35K attached?

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X