X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by raceface29 View Post

Ok, thanks. Can I get a pre-screen on the following two next?
    1. compression, oversharpened
    2. backlit

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

It would not.
    Ok, thanks. Can I get a pre-screen on the following two next?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Don't think I can fix the photo due to the backlit nature. Would this one be any better?
    It would not.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

Would be rejected for backlit/dark/contrast/soft.
    Don't think I can fix the photo due to the backlit nature. Would this one be any better? If not, I'm thinking I'll have backlit rejections throughout for this MAX shot due to where I was standing to get this shot.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Can I get a pre-screen on this 737 MAX 8 please?
    Would be rejected for backlit/dark/contrast/soft.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Can I get a pre-screen on this 737 MAX 8 please?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.

Almost certainly.

As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.

Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.

Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.
    Unfortunately, I think I'm out of luck with these. I have a Rebel XTI that has 10MP and from what I understand, it's on the low end of cameras. Sounds like upgrading the lens to be within the focal length limitations would be a more versatile, valuable upgrade than spending more time editing/processing or buying a new camera body.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.
    I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.

1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness?
    Almost certainly.

2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
    As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.

3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?
    Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.

I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
    Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

1. soft/blurry, compression, overprocessed
    2-3. similar
    Thanks, dlowwa

So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.

1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness? (I'm sure that my technique is impacting it as well.... since I went on continuous shooting mode, took ~30 photos of each aircraft and still could only pick out 1-2 that I thought would be acceptable for JP)
    2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
    3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?

I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Can I request a pre-screen of the attached images?

edit: dlowwa or Julian S. Could I request either of you pre-screen a few photos for me?
    1. soft/blurry, compression, overprocessed
    2-3. similar

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Can I request a pre-screen of the attached images?

edit: dlowwa or Julian S. Could I request either of you pre-screen a few photos for me?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Ah, that's too bad. Before I go ahead and give up on these, can I ask you to take a look at one more? This one comparatively seemed much brighter and looked like you could make out the outline of the aircraft much better. Not sure if it would still be unacceptable though.
    Would be rejected for dark, contrast, soft, and noise.

Can you also tell me what it is exactly that makes these types of photos taken in cloudy weather unacceptable? I was trying to read through the forum, and everyone seems to just have an understanding that photos taken in cloudy weather are not good enough for upload.
    Aesthetics, mostly. Same reason soft/blurry images are not desirable, nor poorly cropped ones. In some cases you can't see the aircraft/liveries as clearly with poor contrast, but mostly because better light is nicer, and clouds are never permanent so we typically don't need to wait long to get a photo in decent light.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

Pretty much, unfortunately.
    Ah, that's too bad. Before I go ahead and give up on these, can I ask you to take a look at one more? This one comparatively seemed much brighter and looked like you could make out the outline of the aircraft much better. Not sure if it would still be unacceptable though.

Can you also tell me what it is exactly that makes these types of photos taken in cloudy weather unacceptable? I was trying to read through the forum, and everyone seems to just have an understanding that photos taken in cloudy weather are not good enough for upload.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    1. Wondering if the cloudiness makes these impossible for upload?
    Pretty much, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Can you guys take a look and provide some feedback/pre-screen the following photos?

1. Wondering if the cloudiness makes these impossible for upload?
    2. The 787 image that has the tree branches in it - is this acceptable for upload?
    3. I've played a little with exposure/contrast sliders just because of the way the images came out from the weather conditions - is it overprocessed or is it acceptable?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X