Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo Advice (Pre-screen)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

    1. soft/blurry, compression, overprocessed
    2-3. similar
    Thanks, dlowwa


    So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.

    1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness? (I'm sure that my technique is impacting it as well.... since I went on continuous shooting mode, took ~30 photos of each aircraft and still could only pick out 1-2 that I thought would be acceptable for JP)
    2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
    3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?

    I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.
      I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.

      Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness?
      Almost certainly.

      Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
      As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.

      Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?
      Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.

      Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
      Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

        I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.



        Almost certainly.



        As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.



        Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.



        Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.
        Unfortunately, I think I'm out of luck with these. I have a Rebel XTI that has 10MP and from what I understand, it's on the low end of cameras. Sounds like upgrading the lens to be within the focal length limitations would be a more versatile, valuable upgrade than spending more time editing/processing or buying a new camera body.

        Comment

        Working...
        X