• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. soft/blurry, compression, overprocessed
    2-3. similar
    Thanks, dlowwa

So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.

1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness? (I'm sure that my technique is impacting it as well.... since I went on continuous shooting mode, took ~30 photos of each aircraft and still could only pick out 1-2 that I thought would be acceptable for JP)
    2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
    3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?

I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
      So, I'm wondering here if these photos are all suffering from the fact that I had to max out my 300mm zoom lens to capture them, which was still not enough to bring them adequately into frame. I've attached the original Asiana photo here and you can see the level of cropping I've had to do to try and get it within the JP requirements.
      I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.

1. Is the limitation that I experience with being at the upper limit of my zoom lens for a distanced shot like this cause for the compression and the softness?
      Almost certainly.

2. Is there any way to correct the compression on shots like this?
      As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.

3. I only manipulated the sharpening and noise reduction sliders in order to deal with the softness. I found that the "Asiana Airlines" logo (as an example) would come out nice and clear, but then I couldn't get "Kumho Asiana Group" or "HL8361" to come out clear. Is the overprocessed nature of the photo coming from these settings you think?
      Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.

I'm thinking that mostly due to #1, I'm not going to be able to salvage these without major photoshopping. I am adding one other shot (KAL attached) to see if it would be acceptable to you for JP upload:
      Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.

Comment

I've seen shots (of my own) accepted with heavier crops. It will depend on how many pixels you're working with and overall quality of the image. If either of those two factors suffer, it will be difficult to overcome.

Almost certainly.

As I mentioned above, more pixels, and less cropping.

Overprocessed due to editing halos, which have nothing to do with sharpening/NR. More likely related to some brightness/shadows/contrast settings.

Would be rejected for soft, contrast, compression, and dirty.
        Unfortunately, I think I'm out of luck with these. I have a Rebel XTI that has 10MP and from what I understand, it's on the low end of cameras. Sounds like upgrading the lens to be within the focal length limitations would be a more versatile, valuable upgrade than spending more time editing/processing or buying a new camera body.

Comment

Can I get a pre-screen on this 737 MAX 8 please?
          Attached Files

Comment

Can I get a pre-screen on this 737 MAX 8 please?
            Would be rejected for backlit/dark/contrast/soft.

Comment

Would be rejected for backlit/dark/contrast/soft.
              Don't think I can fix the photo due to the backlit nature. Would this one be any better? If not, I'm thinking I'll have backlit rejections throughout for this MAX shot due to where I was standing to get this shot.
              Attached Files

Comment

Don't think I can fix the photo due to the backlit nature. Would this one be any better?
                It would not.

Comment

It would not.
                  Ok, thanks. Can I get a pre-screen on the following two next?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok, thanks. Can I get a pre-screen on the following two next?
                    1. compression, oversharpened
                    2. backlit

Comment

1. compression, oversharpened
                      2. backlit
                      I assume the compression/oversharpened one is tied to the CRJ shot? If so, any tips on how I can improve my technique to get rid of the compression coming through in my shots?

Comment

I assume the compression/oversharpened one is tied to the CRJ shot? If so, any tips on how I can improve my technique to get rid of the compression coming through in my shots?
                        Don't apply too much compression to your images when saving them.

Comment

Don't apply too much compression to your images when saving them.
                          Is this latest version any better? Is it possible that the upload to the forum is impacting the compression at all?

I also wanted to include a snip of what I see when I go to save/export my image. I use Adobe Lightroom (as I have for all of my other uploads) and have only ever used the settings you see here. You've given me feedback that the images appear compressed on previous pre-screen requests, and I've always assumed that to be the appearance where the background appears to be closer to my subject and larger in comparison than it actually is. But, it appears that I've misunderstood and it is actually more simple and just related to the file of my image itself. Is it just a "saving" of the image issue or could the compression be a result of something else?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is this latest version any better?
                            No, also heavily compressed. This image is 2100pix but only 400k. I would expect it to be 2-3 times that size.

Is it possible that the upload to the forum is impacting the compression at all?
                            No.

I also wanted to include a snip of what I see when I go to save/export my image. I use Adobe Lightroom (as I have for all of my other uploads) and have only ever used the settings you see here. You've given me feedback that the images appear compressed on previous pre-screen requests, and I've always assumed that to be the appearance where the background appears to be closer to my subject and larger in comparison than it actually is. But, it appears that I've misunderstood and it is actually more simple and just related to the file of my image itself. Is it just a "saving" of the image issue or could the compression be a result of something else?
                            Too small to read the details easily, but it does seem the quality is set to 100%, so the problem must be occurring earlier. Are you importing directly from the raw file, or are you opening jpegs from your camera?

Comment

No, also heavily compressed. This image is 2100pix but only 400k. I would expect it to be 2-3 times that size.

No.

Too small to read the details easily, but it does seem the quality is set to 100%, so the problem must be occurring earlier. Are you importing directly from the raw file, or are you opening jpegs from your camera?
                              I take the raw file from my CF card (.cr2 file) and import it to Adobe Lightroom. From there, I do my post-processing (cropping, sharpening, dust spot visualization/elimination). I went back through my previously approved uploads and they are also ~400k file size.

Comment

I take the raw file from my CF card (.cr2 file) and import it to Adobe Lightroom. From there, I do my post-processing (cropping, sharpening, dust spot visualization/elimination).
                                Can't see anything that seems like an obvious area of concern.

I went back through my previously approved uploads and they are also ~400k file size.
                                Yes, but those were in the ~1280pix resolution, yes?

Comment

Working...
                                X