X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raceface29
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

The one labeled 'original' in this post is centered correctly. The other is too low

All of the versions I have see so far are too soft, but I cannot tell if this because of poor editing (and thus fixable) or the poor quality of the original image (and thus a lost photo). Without seeing the latter, I can't be sure.
    The photo labeled as "Original" is also the original image. I did not perform any editing on that photo besides to crop photo and take out unnecessary space.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by raceface29 View Post

Hmmm.. I'll give it one more try here before I send it over to photo editing for advice on how to work it within the photo editing apps:

I lowered the aircraft in the frame even lower. To me, it seems as though now the aircraft is far too low in the frame. I'm happy to be wrong. I am really trying to steer clear of manipulating any of the other sliders within Lightroom and just trying to increase the sharpness. This time, I'm attaching the original and the one I'm working on for the upload to JP (watermark on the original).

Curious if you think the new upload is better/closer to being acceptable. If not, based on what the original looks like, should I just consider this a lost photo?
    The one labeled 'original' in this post is centered correctly. The other is too low

All of the versions I have see so far are too soft, but I cannot tell if this because of poor editing (and thus fixable) or the poor quality of the original image (and thus a lost photo). Without seeing the latter, I can't be sure.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

I see little difference in the sharpening, and no difference in the centering.
    Hmmm.. I'll give it one more try here before I send it over to photo editing for advice on how to work it within the photo editing apps:

I lowered the aircraft in the frame even lower. To me, it seems as though now the aircraft is far too low in the frame. I'm happy to be wrong. I am really trying to steer clear of manipulating any of the other sliders within Lightroom and just trying to increase the sharpness. This time, I'm attaching the original and the one I'm working on for the upload to JP (watermark on the original).

Curious if you think the new upload is better/closer to being acceptable. If not, based on what the original looks like, should I just consider this a lost photo?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Making progress. I understand softness to be "blurriness." I've adjusted the sharpness to make up for that and adjusted a bit more on this to try and make it clearer. I may just not have the eyes of softness, so appreciate the calibration.
    I see little difference in the sharpening, and no difference in the centering.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Making progress. I understand softness to be "blurriness." I've adjusted the sharpness to make up for that and adjusted a bit more on this to try and make it clearer. I may just not have the eyes of softness, so appreciate the calibration.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Thanks dlowwa ! That helped clarify a lot for me.

With that said, I'm giving my Atlas Air shot another try. I feel like the sky is a bit dark, but I'm also very unsure of that at this point. Removed all the edits except a slight adjustment to the exposure and added in some sharpness. I'm not sure if I'm just missing the centering advice, but this to me seemed like the aircraft was too high in the shot. I'm using rule of thirds to determine that where I try to split the fuselage between the top and bottom third of the grid.
    Soft, and yes, slightly high in the frame. Processing looks fine.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Thanks dlowwa ! That helped clarify a lot for me.

With that said, I'm giving my Atlas Air shot another try. I feel like the sky is a bit dark, but I'm also very unsure of that at this point. Removed all the edits except a slight adjustment to the exposure and added in some sharpness. I'm not sure if I'm just missing the centering advice, but this to me seemed like the aircraft was too high in the shot. I'm using rule of thirds to determine that where I try to split the fuselage between the top and bottom third of the grid.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hey dlowwa - appreciate the pre-screen advice. Seems I'm struggling a bit with understanding the feedback on softness and the photo being overprocessed. I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much sharpening can I apply to the photo before it gets flagged for being overprocessed.
    Sharpening and overprocessing are unrelated. Overprocessing in the context of JP can mean a variety of things, but usually (and in your case too) refers to editing halos caused by adjustments to exposure/contrast with tools or settings such as shadow/highlights, clarity, vibrance, D-lighting, etc.. Changing the sharpening parameters will do nothing to affect this. You will need to figure out the setting/step in your editing process that is causing them (halos), and remove it if you would like the halos to disappear.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

1. soft, overprocessed, centering
    2. soft, borderline overprocessed/centering

Hey dlowwa - appreciate the pre-screen advice. Seems I'm struggling a bit with understanding the feedback on softness and the photo being overprocessed. I guess what I'm trying to understand is how much sharpening can I apply to the photo before it gets flagged for being overprocessed. Seems I'm already over the line on processing, so I fear that any further adjustment to sharpen the photo would push me further into the overprocessed territory.

Any tips you can suggest on how to address those before I go ask the photo editing community? I assume, getting pre-screen advice here and then posting in the other communities for specific help is acceptable?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

I think I've worked on the softness and darkness some. Got rid of the noise reduction and sharpening to address the overprocessing. I think I've got the a/c centered better now. I'm using the wing box area as my guide in terms of how much "sky" appears above and below that area.

Also, could you/anyone pre-screen the A35K photo attached as well?
    1. soft, overprocessed, centering
    2. soft, borderline overprocessed/centering

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied

Would be rejected for soft, dark, overprocessed, and maybe centering.
    I think I've worked on the softness and darkness some. Got rid of the noise reduction and sharpening to address the overprocessing. I think I've got the a/c centered better now. I'm using the wing box area as my guide in terms of how much "sky" appears above and below that area.

Also, could you/anyone pre-screen the A35K photo attached as well?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hello, want to see if you all could help me with some pre-screen advice on the following photo:
    Would be rejected for soft, dark, overprocessed, and maybe centering.

Leave a comment:

• raceface29
    replied
    Hello, want to see if you all could help me with some pre-screen advice on the following photo:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sharksfan166269
    replied
    Hi all,

In reading the upload guidelines, it seems that we need to ensure that the aircraft is centered within the frame and is level to a reference horizon. How does one handle this requirement for shots taken of aircraft as they are on their descent/ascent to/from the airport?

I just shot the attached photo and I'm pretty sure it would fail/get rejected for either centering or composition. So, does one give up on a photo like this? Or is this an actual way to salvage it for submittal?
    Hello, I am not a screener however for centering and leveling photos of aircraft on final such as this - to the best of my knowledge you should center the aircraft based on the furthest top and furthest bottom points of the fuselage. For leveling, again to the best of my knowledge, if there is no vertical line you can use to guide the leveling, it comes down to leveling based on your eye and what seem the most accurate. To me, this image seems level however the aircraft might be a tad high in the frame. In addition this image seems to suffer from being soft/blurry, color (chromatic aberration) and the image is not the correct size (2681x1492 pixels) plus a custom watermark which is not allowed.

Leave a comment:

• bgkicks49
    replied
    Not a screener, but have an understanding that typically with a shot like this, horizon does not come into play. Horizon comes in to play with you have mountains, buildings, or other objects that if they were unlevel would make the photo look askew.

Based on the centering on the upload guidelines, this photo is high in frame. For this photo specifically, using the fuselage as your centering points is your best bet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X