Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Advice (Pre-screen)

Hi all,

I'm very new to the photography and JetPhotos communities. I work in the aerospace industry and have such a huge passion for it, but only recently got into shooting photos in my free time.

I'm hoping the community here can help me pre-screen the following photo of an FFT A320neo, before I go ahead and submit it in the queue.
    Attached Files

I'm not a screener but I don't think this photo would be acceptable on many grounds. First of all, it's quite dark/underexposed. Second, the photo is not cropped at all so the aircraft is also not centered. Lastly, and the biggest issue that unfortunately can not be corrected in post-production would be how soft the image is. Some items that can help with this are usually increasing the shutter speed and depending on the lens turning off image stabilization.

Comment

As above. I am not a screener either, but If I were you I would spend some time looking at the photos in the database you will see how pictures are cropped and the levels of exposure used for certain photos. I would advise looking at other threads that people ask for pre screening and reading the responses to that, then you should have a good foundation of knowledge about your own photos and editing, to get to the standard for the database.

Comment

Originally posted by raceface29 View Post
        Hi all,

I'm very new to the photography and JetPhotos communities. I work in the aerospace industry and have such a huge passion for it, but only recently got into shooting photos in my free time.

I'm hoping the community here can help me pre-screen the following photo of an FFT A320neo, before I go ahead and submit it in the queue.
        Unedited images will not be prescreened by crew. You will need to make at least an rudimentary attempt at editing the image before we will prescreen it, but you can ask more basic questions if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Unedited images will not be prescreened by crew. You will need to make at least an rudimentary attempt at editing the image before we will prescreen it, but you can ask more basic questions if you'd like.
          My understanding was that editing of images aside from dust spots and things of that nature were prohibited. The guidelines seemed pretty clear that editing images above the minor unavoidable blemishes in a photo were grounds for rejection and possible ban from JP. Can you/someone point me in the direction of what kind of editing I would be able to do that would not violate those rules? I do have photoshop and lightroom, so I'm not against doing some editing, however, I'm unsure of where the line is drawn.

I can see the centeredness of the photo is an issue and the comments regarding softness of the image are very helpful!

Comment

My understanding was that editing of images aside from dust spots and things of that nature were prohibited. The guidelines seemed pretty clear that editing images above the minor unavoidable blemishes in a photo were grounds for rejection and possible ban from JP. Can you/someone point me in the direction of what kind of editing I would be able to do that would not violate those rules? I do have photoshop and lightroom, so I'm not against doing some editing, however, I'm unsure of where the line is drawn.

I can see the centeredness of the photo is an issue and the comments regarding softness of the image are very helpful!
            Hi,

I'm also new to aviation photography after all because I got back to it only a few months ago. I love airplanes but I didn't take enough time to take pictures of them. You can look at my profile and the photo I posted for a few months to get an idea on editing photos. What is allowed is the editing of the photo but not the modification. Postproduction must therefore make it possible to embellish the photo without distorting it.

I'm not a screener but for the photo you presented, I will give you my opinion of someone who progresses as you shoot and edit in Lightroom, thanks to the help of the forum notably.
            Your photo is not framed, so you have to rework it at this level and also straighten a little I think. Then the photo is underexposed. Maybe you can fix it a bit in post production. However, the photo is out of focus and cannot be recovered. Finally, there is vignetting. It can fix up a bit with Lightroom and Photoshop.
            What is the model of your lens? What settings did you use when taking the picture? For your information, I always use my lens vibration reduction to avoid blurry. It's don't work everytime but it's save many photos.

Above you have a good advice : you can find help on the forum and understand baselines when you watch pictures on jetphotos website.

Comment

Overediting or manipulating a photo is not accepted. But basic processing is a must on any photo. This includes cropping, centering, resizing, adjustment of contrast, exposure and colours, sharpening for a starter.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

My understanding was that editing of images aside from dust spots and things of that nature were prohibited.
                Hi, I am not a screener either but you are able to make edits to your images as long as they are not drastic; examples include cloning out mass features in your frame, color gradients, or anything else that makes the photo seem un-realistic or edited tremendously. You are able to clone out dust spots, but do your best to make the image look the way you took it if were properly exposed. I use Lightroom as well and I only toggle with the exposure, contrast, whites, and blacks in the basic category and I also use the sharpening category to help with softness in my photos. The highlights and shadows tend to create halos on your photograph. Each of the toggles should be slight adjustments and show never go very far left or right of center. Never would I try to upload a photo using the selective brush or gradient/radial filters.

My best advice is to look at some of the photos that have been accepted to the database and try to replicate your photos to how others have taken their's. You'll notice cropping, lighting, contrast, and other consistencies that other photos have on the website. I hope this helps.

Comment

Hi all,

In reading the upload guidelines, it seems that we need to ensure that the aircraft is centered within the frame and is level to a reference horizon. How does one handle this requirement for shots taken of aircraft as they are on their descent/ascent to/from the airport?

I just shot the attached photo and I'm pretty sure it would fail/get rejected for either centering or composition. So, does one give up on a photo like this? Or is this an actual way to salvage it for submittal?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not a screener, but have an understanding that typically with a shot like this, horizon does not come into play. Horizon comes in to play with you have mountains, buildings, or other objects that if they were unlevel would make the photo look askew.

Based on the centering on the upload guidelines, this photo is high in frame. For this photo specifically, using the fuselage as your centering points is your best bet.
                    http://www.jetphotos.com/jp_forum_si...hotogid=149565

Comment

Hi all,

In reading the upload guidelines, it seems that we need to ensure that the aircraft is centered within the frame and is level to a reference horizon. How does one handle this requirement for shots taken of aircraft as they are on their descent/ascent to/from the airport?

I just shot the attached photo and I'm pretty sure it would fail/get rejected for either centering or composition. So, does one give up on a photo like this? Or is this an actual way to salvage it for submittal?
                      Hello, I am not a screener however for centering and leveling photos of aircraft on final such as this - to the best of my knowledge you should center the aircraft based on the furthest top and furthest bottom points of the fuselage. For leveling, again to the best of my knowledge, if there is no vertical line you can use to guide the leveling, it comes down to leveling based on your eye and what seem the most accurate. To me, this image seems level however the aircraft might be a tad high in the frame. In addition this image seems to suffer from being soft/blurry, color (chromatic aberration) and the image is not the correct size (2681x1492 pixels) plus a custom watermark which is not allowed.

Comment

Hello, want to see if you all could help me with some pre-screen advice on the following photo:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hello, want to see if you all could help me with some pre-screen advice on the following photo:
                          Would be rejected for soft, dark, overprocessed, and maybe centering.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Would be rejected for soft, dark, overprocessed, and maybe centering.
                            I think I've worked on the softness and darkness some. Got rid of the noise reduction and sharpening to address the overprocessing. I think I've got the a/c centered better now. I'm using the wing box area as my guide in terms of how much "sky" appears above and below that area.

Also, could you/anyone pre-screen the A35K photo attached as well?
                            Attached Files

Comment

I think I've worked on the softness and darkness some. Got rid of the noise reduction and sharpening to address the overprocessing. I think I've got the a/c centered better now. I'm using the wing box area as my guide in terms of how much "sky" appears above and below that area.

Also, could you/anyone pre-screen the A35K photo attached as well?
                              1. soft, overprocessed, centering
                              2. soft, borderline overprocessed/centering

Comment

Working...
                              X