Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p_t_kin - editing advice

Hi, I just have a couple of things I wanted to clarify:
    1. What exactly is compression and what's the best way to avoid it?
    2. I use darktable as my editor. Does anybody know if there's a way for me to visualize dust spots (like LR) or do I have to find them manually?
    Kin

Edit: No longer using darktable. Now using Lightroom.

1. What exactly is compression and what's the best way to avoid it?
    The main explication is

6.2 Compression
    Save your images at a high JPG quality or low compression settings. Saving at low quality settings or using a high compression rate is great for saving disk space but it means you are losing large amounts of quality from the image, areas which are the first to show signs of over-compression are where colors border each other in particular the registration and cockpit areas.

But it can also be given for use lot of noise reduction or problems with the compatibility between a camera with a huge lens. But as I said, the most common is that. ^

2. I use darktable as my editor. Does anybody know if there's a way for me to visualize dust spots (like LR) or do I have to find them manually?
    I canīt help you with that

Comment

Originally posted by p_t_kin View Post
      I use darktable as my editor. Does anybody know if there's a way for me to visualize dust spots (like LR) or do I have to find them manually?[

Kin
      I've not come across Darktable before but a quick Google on the subject shows there is currently no direct detect dust mode and that they are waiting for someone to program it. Apparently there are work arounds though.

Comment

Hello, can somebody prescreen this photo? I'm still kind of new here, so there's probably plenty for me to learn. I'm worried about overexposure and the centering of this. Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	N928WN_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	1110848

Comment

Hello, can somebody prescreen this photo? I'm still kind of new here, so there's probably plenty for me to learn. I'm worried about overexposure and the centering of this. Thanks in advance!

Name:	N928WN_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	791.3 KB
ID:	1110848
          Might need a touch of CW rotation, but otherwise looks acceptable to me.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for taking the time to prescreen my previous photo!

Can I get a prescreening on these? I'm worried about if the first one is too noisy, and if the third one has too many problems. Thank you!

Name:	N928VA_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	770.9 KB
ID:	1111568

Name:	N11206_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	1111569

Name:	N69816_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	1111570

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for taking the time to prescreen my previous photo!

Can I get a prescreening on these? I'm worried about if the first one is too noisy, and if the third one has too many problems. Thank you!
              1. horizon, borderline soft
              2. ok for me
              3. horizon, contrast

Comment

I see, thank you. I followed your advice and re-edited the A21N; does it look better?

Click image for larger version  Name:	N928VA_1_210220_jetphotos_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	764.1 KB ID:	1111584

And the third image is not fixable right?

Comment

I see, thank you. I followed your advice and re-edited the A21N; does it look better?

Click image for larger version Name:	N928VA_1_210220_jetphotos_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	764.1 KB ID:	1111584

And the third image is not fixable right?
                  Horizon looks ok to me, though still a touch soft.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for helping me get my first few images onto the DB!

Can someone please prescreen this image? I'm unsure about contrast on this Delta 737. Thank you!

Name:	N837DN_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	1112401

Comment

Thanks dlowwa for helping me get my first few images onto the DB!

Can someone please prescreen this image? I'm unsure about contrast on this Delta 737. Thank you!

Name:	N837DN_1_210220_jetphotos_1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	659.8 KB
ID:	1112401
                      Would be ok for me.

Comment

Hi, can someone please prescreen these images? Thank you!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi, can someone please prescreen these images? Thank you!
                          Borderline contrast for both.

Comment

Thanks dlowwa. I'm guessing lack of contrast? Are they fixable by any chance?

Comment

Thanks dlowwa. I'm guessing lack of contrast? Are they fixable by any chance?
                              A bit weak on the first, too harsh on the second. Angle of the light is not the best for either.

Comment

Working...
                              X