How to spot dust in images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to spot dust in images?

How do I find dust in images before I submit the image and am waiting for it to be screened?
    Once I am waiting for a picture to get approved I use the Check for Dust feature and I see all of the dust specs that I missed. What can I do to spot dust before I submit it to be screened?

What I do: Once I've edited and cropped a photo that I want to upload I submit it into the queue and then immediately check the histogram and equaliser for dust spots, then from that info I go back to my editing software, which in my case is Lightroom, and then adjust the tonal curves for the histogram and then remove the dust spots which are visible on the equaliser. If you are also using Lightroom then I suggest the following to see the dust spots:
    On effects slide the Texture, Clarity and Dehase all the way to the right and the dust spots should be more visible, see photo here: https://ibb.co/pQmtST1
    There is no point submitting the correct data for a photo in the autofill if you are just going to delete the photo straight afterward, so its quicker for you to just use a random reg and airport to "tick all the boxes" so you can submit it to the queue and then check the stuff after its submitted.

Hope this helps.

Comment

To me, the best tool is to click and check JP's "Check for dust" tool once you upload your photos. Lightroom "Spot removal" tool is not easy to spot some dust that JP check for dust tool does.
      Check and spot dust first, then use LR's spot removal to remove dust.

Cheers

Comment

Urrrrrg this brings up a pain. Equalize functions for dust spot in photoshop is a real joke Gotta use JP's tool - highly visible.

HAN HPH VII VDH HUI DAD UIH CXR DLI SGN PQC KUL KCH SIN BKK CNX PNH RGN MNL CEB HKG CAN PEK NKG HGH NNG PVG WUH ICN GMP PUS CJU TPE NRT HND ITM
        B78X - B789 - B788 - B77W - B773 - B772 - B744 - B739 - B738 - B737 - A388 - A359 - A333 - A332 - A321 - A21N - A320 - A20N - A319 - E190

Comment

It may be frustrating to find dust spots after uploading in JP.net after you have spent a lot of time removing dust spots using photoshop.net. But it is worth checking it in the JP.net tool rather than trusting photoshop alone. I have experienced it so many times. I have uploaded an image in JP.net, only to find out that there are so many dust spots despite me trying to remove them using photoshop. So using the JP.net tool to check out for any dust spots in your images is the best option.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Comment

Equalise and then use levels to darken the image to give a closer representation of the JP dust tool. Although not exact, it'll definitely help you more than the standard equalise tool in PS. You can set up a quick key to do this function rather than equalise and level each time.

Hope this helps.
              Best regards,
              Dave

Saving the World, One Screened Image at a time...

Comment

Working...
              X