Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing advices

Dear all,

I have been submitting on jetphotos for quite some time but till now haven't got accepted yet. So I decide to use the forum and maybe I can get some editing advices. Recently I have these photos rejected:

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC5320_s.jpg Views:	6 Size:	698.4 KB ID:	1116020This one was rejected because of 'overexposed', 'soft', and 'Too much or too little contrast'.
    I have increased the contrast because I always shoot in RAW, and I always have an eye on the histogram so that the exposure is correct. So I do not quite understand the two reason related to exposure and contrast.
    And for the softness, since all my photos are originally in 6000x4000, while jetphotos only accept a width of 1280, a downscale is needed. And if I look at 100% size I think the fuselage itself is quite clear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1888_s.jpg Views:	4 Size:	447.6 KB ID:	1116021This one is rejected because of 'backlit'. However apparently the light is not from the back, so I do not understand it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC4769_s.jpg Views:	4 Size:	434.8 KB ID:	1116022This one was rejected because of 'Too much or too little contrast' and 'Dirty Scan / CMOS Dust spots'. Which I do not understand completely. I carefully checked that I have fixed all CMOS dust and the contrast seems ok to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC4686_s.jpg Views:	4 Size:	432.0 KB ID:	1116023This one was rejected because of 'Too much or too little contrast'. But I think the fuselage is with correct contrast, the background of course, is very flat because of the overcast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1674_s.jpg Views:	4 Size:	695.5 KB ID:	1116024And this one is rejected because of 'soft', 'Too much or too little contrast' and 'Bad Info'. I also post the link here https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=9140524 but I don't understand why the info is incorrect. Also for the soft and contrast as the first image.

Honestly speaking a lot of rejection made me a little bit frustrated. So any advices is welcome.

Thank you very much in advance!

I've also checked today's popular, for instance https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10165845 and https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10165465, from my point of of view the contrast is no better than mine, but they are accepted.

Lack of contrast is the common theme in all your rejections.

Pick one of the registrations and then look at the last dozen images which Jetphotos accepted of that aircraft. The majority of them will have one thing that your pictures lack - sunlight. The sun will be shining in most of those images and illuminating the whole side of the aircraft which is visible. As a result the planes will stand out from the background.

I doubt editing will save these pictures. The light simply wasn't good enough on the day you took the images.

You CAN get images accepted when shot under cloudy skies but for now I'd suggest you go for the basics of putting the sun behind you and making sure it fully lights your subject before submitting images. Doing that will vastly increase your chances of having pics accepted.

Comment

Unfortunately I'm not a screener and can't tell you anything precise for editing advice, however I can definitely tell you a few things: the last one (HB-IJS) is rejected for 'Bad Info' because the airline Swissair (which you uploaded it under) is incorrect. This is because it should be under the airline Swiss and this can be done by simply entering the registration and airport code in the first two box, and click auto-fill, to avoid mistakes like this.

For PH-BQH with the rejection of CMOS dirty scan, after you upload the photo you could click 'queued photos' under photos section and you can see each of your queued photos. Open the photo in question and you will see 'check for dust' and with this tool, you can see the dust spots in your photo. Then those can be edited out in Lr/Ps.

Hope this helps a little

Comment

Originally posted by snddim01 View Post
        Lack of contrast is the common theme in all your rejections.

Pick one of the registrations and then look at the last dozen images which Jetphotos accepted of that aircraft. The majority of them will have one thing that your pictures lack - sunlight. The sun will be shining in most of those images and illuminating the whole side of the aircraft which is visible. As a result the planes will stand out from the background.

I doubt editing will save these pictures. The light simply wasn't good enough on the day you took the images.

You CAN get images accepted when shot under cloudy skies but for now I'd suggest you go for the basics of putting the sun behind you and making sure it fully lights your subject before submitting images. Doing that will vastly increase your chances of having pics accepted.
        Hi snddim01, thanks for your advices. It sounds like a valid reason. But I think image 2 and 3 are in good weather. Perhaps there are still room for editing.
        It's also quite difficult to find good weather days as I'm in the Netherlands, typical Dutch weather

Comment

Originally posted by Tianxiang Gu View Post
          Unfortunately I'm not a screener and can't tell you anything precise for editing advice, however I can definitely tell you a few things: the last one (HB-IJS) is rejected for 'Bad Info' because the airline Swissair (which you uploaded it under) is incorrect. This is because it should be under the airline Swiss and this can be done by simply entering the registration and airport code in the first two box, and click auto-fill, to avoid mistakes like this.

For PH-BQH with the rejection of CMOS dirty scan, after you upload the photo you could click 'queued photos' under photos section and you can see each of your queued photos. Open the photo in question and you will see 'check for dust' and with this tool, you can see the dust spots in your photo. Then those can be edited out in Lr/Ps.

Hope this helps a little
          Hi Tianxiang Gu , thanks for your advices! The dust checking tool is really helpful. BTW for the HB-IJS I did use auto fill tool, however it asked me to choose between Swissair and Swiss or something.

Comment

Originally posted by tliu View Post

Hi Tianxiang Gu , thanks for your advices! The dust checking tool is really helpful. BTW for the HB-IJS I did use auto fill tool, however it asked me to choose between Swissair and Swiss or something.
            Swissair no longer exists, so Swiss should always be selected unless you are uploading a vintage photo. You can easily tell by looking at the titles on the jet, if it is Swissair it should just say Swissair. Happy uploading!

Comment

Hi snddim01, thanks for your advices. It sounds like a valid reason. But I think image 2 and 3 are in good weather. Perhaps there are still room for editing.
              It's also quite difficult to find good weather days as I'm in the Netherlands, typical Dutch weather
              The weather is indeed good in images 2 and 3, but the light is not. There is no direct sunlight on the KLM. The Norwegian has only a small amount on the nose and the top of the fueselage.

I promise you, there is no room for editing. I have 1864 accepted photos on here and an acceptance ratio of 89% so I know what the screeners are looking for. Both these pictures will fail no matter how you edit them.

I sympathise with the weather. I live in Scotland and know the problems it causes. We rarely see sunshine in this wet and windy island.

If your goal is to get images accepted on Jetphotos, then the best advice I can give you is not to visit the airport unless there is a good chance the sun will shine. And position yourself so that the sun is behind you and illuminating the whole aircraft.

Suncalc is a useful website for determining at what angle the sun will shine from.

Good luck!

Edited to add - this is what a sunlit PH-BQH should look like. The difference between this image and yours tells the story. .
              Attached Files

Comment

The second and third images were not taken in good light conditions, and will not be fixable for the purpose of uploading here.

Comment

Working...
                X