No announcement yet.

Stefano Cassia - Pre-Screening/Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a little question about a photo of mine that got rejected.

In addition to the too intrusive watermark (my mistake, I ask if I can modify it on the photos in the queue to avoid rejections due to the same mistake), it was rejected for Bad Color (Over / Under Saturation, Hue). In this case is it too saturated or too little saturated? Because in post editing I did not touch the saturation settings and therefore it is the "original" one of the photo.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

For the second photo I totally agree that it's Dark / Underexposed, Undersharpened (Soft) and Too much or too little contrast. On the fact that part of aircraft are cut off, how can I cut it better? My intention was precisely to film the first officer saluting out the window as I have seen in some other photos uploaded. Obviously I attach the non-cropped photo. Thanks so much in advance for the advice

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_10008.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	617.6 KB
ID:	1119027

Comment

Originally posted by Stefano Cassia View Post
      I have a little question about a photo of mine that got rejected.

In addition to the too intrusive watermark (my mistake, I ask if I can modify it on the photos in the queue to avoid rejections due to the same mistake), it was rejected for Bad Color (Over / Under Saturation, Hue). In this case is it too saturated or too little saturated? Because in post editing I did not touch the saturation settings and therefore it is the "original" one of the photo.
      White balance is too warm. Very strong yellow cast on the image. Tail is also somewhat blurry, and though this wasn't mentioned on the original rejection, it may be an issue if re-submitted.

For the second photo I totally agree that it's Dark / Underexposed, Undersharpened (Soft) and Too much or too little contrast. On the fact that part of aircraft are cut off, how can I cut it better? My intention was precisely to film the first officer saluting out the window as I have seen in some other photos uploaded. Obviously I attach the non-cropped photo. Thanks so much in advance for the advice
      Don't think this is fixable. Not only is the light very poor, but there is no way to crop it acceptably without getting part of the fence in the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

White balance is too warm. Very strong yellow cast on the image. Tail is also somewhat blurry, and though this wasn't mentioned on the original rejection, it may be an issue if re-submitted.
        Ok, thank you!

Don't think this is fixable. Not only is the light very poor, but there is no way to crop it acceptably without getting part of the fence in the frame.

I imagined it, since the fence is too invasive. To improve in the future I would like to understand why the crop I did is not correct. My intention was to emphasize the first officer's greeting (as I indicated in the notes). Should I include the next one in the photo only the front? Would it be an acceptable crop in that case?

Comment

I imagined it, since the fence is too invasive. To improve in the future I would like to understand why the crop I did is not correct. My intention was to emphasize the first officer's greeting (as I indicated in the notes). Should I include the next one in the photo only the front? Would it be an acceptable crop in that case?
          You'd probably want to get it more directly side-on.

Comment

You'd probably want to get it more directly side-on.
            Ok, thanks for the advice.

Can I have your opinion on this photo? Thank you!

Name:	1bis.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	1119239

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Can I have your opinion on this photo? Thank you!

Views:	97
Size:	629.3 KB
ID:	1119239
              Likely to be rejected for overprocessed.

Comment

Better?

Views:	88
Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	1119262

Comment

Better?

Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	1119262
                  Not really. Editing halos still visible.

Comment

Now better? In post editing I added a minimum of contrast and a minimum of sharpness, nothing else.

Views:	101
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	1119311

I also ask for an opinion on this rejection, ok for overprocessed, but on the little contrast and undersharpen what do you think?

Comment

Now better? In post editing I added a minimum of contrast and a minimum of sharpness, nothing else.
                      Editing halos still visible.

I also ask for an opinion on this rejection, ok for overprocessed, but on the little contrast and undersharpen what do you think?
                      Sharpening is ok for me, but contrast is borderline weak, and again editing halos visible.

Comment

Editing halos still visible.
                        This is the unprocessed photo (I just opened the shadows a bit). In my opinion it is a little poor in sharpness and contrast, what do you think? It doesn't turn out to be overprocessed right?

Name:	2bis.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	592.9 KB
ID:	1119593

Sharpening is ok for me, but contrast is borderline weak, and again editing halos visible.
                        What mainly causes halos in the post-processing phase? What do you advise me to avoid them in the future? Thanks so much

Comment

This is the unprocessed photo
                          Strong editing halos are visible.

(I just opened the shadows a bit)

What mainly causes halos in the post-processing phase? What do you advise me to avoid them in the future? Thanks so much
                          'Opening' the shadows can definitely cause them, so..

Comment

This is completely unprocessed, I haven't touched anything. For me it remains a bit poor in sharpness and perhaps contrast, what do you think? Now there should be no more halo.

Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	1119635

Comment

This is completely unprocessed, I haven't touched anything. For me it remains a bit poor in sharpness and perhaps contrast, what do you think? Now there should be no more halo.

Size:	587.9 KB
ID:	1119635
                              Indeed, there are no longer and editing halos visible.

Comment

Indeed, there are no longer and editing halos visible.
                                Great, but what do you think of the other parameters?

Comment

Working...
                                X