Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Screen advice for a newbie.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pre-Screen advice for a newbie.

    Hi folks,

    First off, it's good to be on here, I've had FR24 for years and always fancied trying my hand at getting photo's on here! I've read the tips on the forum and tried a few times (admittedly now looking back on the first few pics I attempted to upload they were awful - old DSLR and rubbish lens). Now I've just bought a 55-250mm STM Canon Lens and seeing good results. I have attempted to upload this picture but it was rejected due to contrast, I've bought a new monitor for my Mac Pro now and can see the original really was dark. I've done another edit as attached and would like feed back both good and bad please! I've been taking pictures for a couple of years now but feel since getting the new STM lens its producing much better results! I look forward to hearing from you all

    Thanks,

    Jonnie.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Contrast rejections are particularly nasty. For starters, the reason they give is very vague. Any photo could need more contrast, less contrast, more highlights and fewer shadows, more shadows and fewer highlights, some other combination of these, or it could be completely unfixable.

    In your case, It appears that the shadows just need to be made darker. I've taken the photo into photoshop and done a quick job on it. (The photo has since been deleted from my computer since it isn't mine.) It should be at least closer to what you need. I've also attached some screenshots of the original luminosity histogram and the same histogram after my contrast adjustment. You'll see that in the original image, the shadows (represented in the left third of the histogram) are very distant from the edge, whereas, in the adjusted histogram, the shadows just lightly touch the edge. In general, you want the latter to be the case on both sides, but if there's a large spike on either edge, it's too much.

    Go ahead and try an adjustment like that, but I can't make any guarantees that it will fix the problem or create new ones altogether. Let me know if anything about this confuses you and I'll try and explain it better.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      The photo looks great! And it amazing to hear you've been practising and feel more confident.
      All I can say is - pictures taken under forecast conditions are very likely to be rejected due to contrast, and its hard to fix, or unfixable.

      Avoid spotting with those conditions to avoid rejects. Maybe dont get too stressed about one photo (top tip) and maybe go again whenever the weather is nice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AVGeek_NI View Post
        Hi folks,

        First off, it's good to be on here, I've had FR24 for years and always fancied trying my hand at getting photo's on here! I've read the tips on the forum and tried a few times (admittedly now looking back on the first few pics I attempted to upload they were awful - old DSLR and rubbish lens). Now I've just bought a 55-250mm STM Canon Lens and seeing good results. I have attempted to upload this picture but it was rejected due to contrast, I've bought a new monitor for my Mac Pro now and can see the original really was dark. I've done another edit as attached and would like feed back both good and bad please! I've been taking pictures for a couple of years now but feel since getting the new STM lens its producing much better results! I look forward to hearing from you all

        Thanks,

        Jonnie.
        Indeed, this image is not fixable for here due to the poor weather/light conditions at the time of shooting. As suggested, if your goal is to have images accepted here, it will make it vastly easier on yourself if you try to avoid heavily overcast days.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael Rodeback View Post
          Contrast rejections are particularly nasty. For starters, the reason they give is very vague. Any photo could need more contrast, less contrast, more highlights and fewer shadows, more shadows and fewer highlights, some other combination of these, or it could be completely unfixable.

          In your case, It appears that the shadows just need to be made darker. I've taken the photo into photoshop and done a quick job on it. (The photo has since been deleted from my computer since it isn't mine.) It should be at least closer to what you need. I've also attached some screenshots of the original luminosity histogram and the same histogram after my contrast adjustment. You'll see that in the original image, the shadows (represented in the left third of the histogram) are very distant from the edge, whereas, in the adjusted histogram, the shadows just lightly touch the edge. In general, you want the latter to be the case on both sides, but if there's a large spike on either edge, it's too much.

          Go ahead and try an adjustment like that, but I can't make any guarantees that it will fix the problem or create new ones altogether. Let me know if anything about this confuses you and I'll try and explain it better.
          Wow, thanks so much Michael! This is a great insight and exactly what I need! I really appreciate the fact that you've brought it into Lightroom yourself to show me how is should look! I will give it a go, if you don't mind I might try my hand at it and possibly post it back up here again for further feedback!

          Thanks again .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Santiago MN View Post
            The photo looks great! And it amazing to hear you've been practising and feel more confident.
            All I can say is - pictures taken under forecast conditions are very likely to be rejected due to contrast, and its hard to fix, or unfixable.

            Avoid spotting with those conditions to avoid rejects. Maybe dont get too stressed about one photo (top tip) and maybe go again whenever the weather is nice.
            Thanks so much for your reply Santiago MN! I was particularly happy with this particular shot, my old lens didn't have IS so I was playing around with the IS on my new lens dropped down to 1/100 and panned as the A320 touched down. It's annoying the weather conditions were just a little bit on the dull side... However, I live in Ireland so this is most days haha! We've got 7 days of sunshine coming up apparently and I've got some days off work in the week so I might pop back down and post up some pics for you guys to give feedback on Thanks again

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

              Indeed, this image is not fixable for here due to the poor weather/light conditions at the time of shooting. As suggested, if your goal is to have images accepted here, it will make it vastly easier on yourself if you try to avoid heavily overcast days.
              Thanks for your reply Dlowwa, Yeah as mentioned above next time there's a nice clear day I'll go down for another day of spotting... I'm going to London Heathrow next week too so hoping for a nice day there, fingers crossed for blue sky and sunshine all day haha

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi again all!

                Have been out again with slightly better conditions - a bit sunnier!

                Have edited a picture of a Ryanair B737-800 and included levels on PS for you to give feedback on. Again all feedback is greatly appreciated!

                Thanks
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by AVGeek_NI View Post
                  Hi again all!

                  Have been out again with slightly better conditions - a bit sunnier!

                  Have edited a picture of a Ryanair B737-800 and included levels on PS for you to give feedback on. Again all feedback is greatly appreciated!

                  Thanks
                  This image cannot be uploaded to JetPhotos. 1920pix is the maximum allowable size, and that only with permission. More likely your maximum will be 1280. That being said the, color is badly off so please at least fix that before posting an image for prescreening that is at least uploadable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AVGeek_NI View Post
                    Hi again all!

                    Have been out again with slightly better conditions - a bit sunnier!

                    Have edited a picture of a Ryanair B737-800 and included levels on PS for you to give feedback on. Again all feedback is greatly appreciated!

                    Thanks



                    The photo looks kind of okay, but note how it looks yellow, 1the colour is very weird. Look at how the tail (yellow) does not look how it should.
                    Tthe overall colour seems off.
                    Try playing around with the white balance to achieve a natural look..
                    Yellow-blue / Green-pink
                    Also go to the HUE

                    If you can't.... you will have to discard the picture again. :///
                    Lookup a picture of a Ryanair under the overcast conditions to have a reference for colour.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks again for the input guys, have given an other pic another go, correct sizing for JP too.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AVGeek_NI View Post
                        Thanks again for the input guys, have given an other pic another go, correct sizing for JP too.
                        This would be rejected for colour, soft, contrast, and backlit.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X