AaroS - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Contrast still a bit harsh (though acceptable for me), and editing halos now visible on some of them. Not going to comment on these any more.
    Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom. I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider? I'm just using exposure, contrast, whites, blacks and the tone curve.

What is the best way to determine when there is enough contrast and when there is not?

Comment

Originally posted by AaroS View Post

Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom. I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider? I'm just using exposure, contrast, whites, blacks and the tone curve.

What is the best way to determine when there is enough contrast and when there is not?
      for your first question you'll have to wait for a screener or someone with a great explanation to answer that, But I can tell you a great way to determine when theres enough contrast within you photo is to look at the histogram. In fact heres a whole forums dedicated to contrast

Comment

Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom.
        With experience they can be noticed just by looking at an image normally, but if that doesn't work, the equalize function in PS should provide a similar effect.

I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider?
        Correct.

Mostly an aesthetic thing, but for there being too much, if the overall exposure is ok, but there is no detail whatsoever in the dark/shadow areas, then likely the contrast is too strong

Comment

With experience they can be noticed just by looking at an image normally, but if that doesn't work, the equalize function in PS should provide a similar effect.

Correct.

Mostly an aesthetic thing, but for there being too much, if the overall exposure is ok, but there is no detail whatsoever in the dark/shadow areas, then likely the contrast is too strong
          Thanks a lot! You just saved me a lot of time. I will never again touch the shadows slider but what about the "highlights" slider?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertMahar15 View Post

for your first question you'll have to wait for a screener or someone with a great explanation to answer that, But I can tell you a great way to determine when theres enough contrast within you photo is to look at the histogram. In fact heres a whole forums dedicated to contrast
            Thanks for linking that!

Comment

Thanks a lot! You just saved me a lot of time. I will never again touch the shadows slider but what about the "highlights" slider?
              Even worse than the shadows slider.

Comment

Even worse than the shadows slider.
                Thanks!

Comment

That actually doesn't sound too bad. Just has the look of an image that's been cropped pretty heavily (loss of fine details/compression smearing), but maybe it's just the edit.

Tricky.. it will need some brightening overall, without blowing out the highlights of course. Would help to lift the shadows as well a bit, again without inducing any halos, etc.
                  Is this better?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6522-4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	573.5 KB
ID:	1122777

Comment

Is this better?
                    Would be ok for me, but couldn't promise for others.

Comment

Would be ok for me, but couldn't promise for others.
                      Thanks for the help!

Comment

What about this image? Is the contrast acceptable? Thanks in advance!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6642-4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	1123089

Comment

What about this image? Is the contrast acceptable?
                          Should be.

Comment

Should be.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Could you pre-screen these? I'm unsure about the light/contrast, it's the first time I tried taking photos at sunset. Thanks!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7420-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	379.3 KB ID:	1123201

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7367-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	277.9 KB ID:	1123204

Comment

Could you pre-screen these? I'm unsure about the light/contrast, it's the first time I tried taking photos at sunset.
                                1. borderline blurry/oversharpened
                                2. dirty

Comment

Working...
                                X