replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Even worse than the shadows slider.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by AaroS View Post

Thanks a lot! You just saved me a lot of time. I will never again touch the shadows slider but what about the "highlights" slider?
    Even worse than the shadows slider.

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied
    Originally posted by RobertMahar15 View Post

for your first question you'll have to wait for a screener or someone with a great explanation to answer that, But I can tell you a great way to determine when theres enough contrast within you photo is to look at the histogram. In fact heres a whole forums dedicated to contrast
    Thanks for linking that!

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

With experience they can be noticed just by looking at an image normally, but if that doesn't work, the equalize function in PS should provide a similar effect.

Correct.

Mostly an aesthetic thing, but for there being too much, if the overall exposure is ok, but there is no detail whatsoever in the dark/shadow areas, then likely the contrast is too strong
    Thanks a lot! You just saved me a lot of time. I will never again touch the shadows slider but what about the "highlights" slider?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom.
    With experience they can be noticed just by looking at an image normally, but if that doesn't work, the equalize function in PS should provide a similar effect.

I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider?
    Correct.

What is the best way to determine when there is enough contrast and when there is not?
    Mostly an aesthetic thing, but for there being too much, if the overall exposure is ok, but there is no detail whatsoever in the dark/shadow areas, then likely the contrast is too strong

Leave a comment:

• RobertMahar15
    replied

Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom. I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider? I'm just using exposure, contrast, whites, blacks and the tone curve.

What is the best way to determine when there is enough contrast and when there is not?
    for your first question you'll have to wait for a screener or someone with a great explanation to answer that, But I can tell you a great way to determine when theres enough contrast within you photo is to look at the histogram. In fact heres a whole forums dedicated to contrast

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

Contrast still a bit harsh (though acceptable for me), and editing halos now visible on some of them. Not going to comment on these any more.
    Thanks! I'm having a hard time spotting halos without using the "check for dust" feature on JetPhotos which requires uploading and then removing the image, so I wanna ask if you know a way to get a similar effect in Photoshop or Lightroom. I read some of your old posts and you said that the shadow slider should not be used because of halos but what about the Highlights slider? I'm just using exposure, contrast, whites, blacks and the tone curve.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Thanks for the help again! The framing should be fixed now. I think I got the darkness fixed but it I'm not sure about the overall contrast. I tried to look at similar accepted images to get good contrast.
    Contrast still a bit harsh (though acceptable for me), and editing halos now visible on some of them. Not going to comment on these any more.

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

Borderline dark/contrast for all, second also a bit too low in the frame.
    Thanks for the help again! The framing should be fixed now. I think I got the darkness fixed but it I'm not sure about the overall contrast. I tried to look at similar accepted images to get good contrast. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6819-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	405.4 KB ID:	1122597
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6883-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	452.6 KB ID:	1122598
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6719-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	427.8 KB ID:	1122594
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6622-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	528.0 KB ID:	1122595
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6698-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	468.6 KB ID:	1122596

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Here are the attempted improvements. Thank you!
    Borderline dark/contrast for all, second also a bit too low in the frame.

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

1-2 indeed borderline overexposed. Others look passable, but are a bit low in the frame.
    Here are the attempted improvements. Thank you!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6819-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	390.3 KB ID:	1122539
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6883-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.9 KB ID:	1122540
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6719-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	415.2 KB ID:	1122541
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6622-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	465.5 KB ID:	1122542
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6698-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.1 KB ID:	1122543

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Could these five images get a pre-screen? Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the overexposed look here and I'm not quite sure how much I should brighten the shadows. The first image has these brighter areas under the gear and on the right side, they appear on the RAW file so I'm not sure if it is an issue or not.
    1-2 indeed borderline overexposed. Others look passable, but are a bit low in the frame.

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

Could these five images get a pre-screen? Thanks! I'm trying to avoid the overexposed look here and I'm not quite sure how much I should brighten the shadows. The first image has these brighter areas under the gear and on the right side, they appear on the RAW file so I'm not sure if it is an issue or not.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6819-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	395.2 KB ID:	1122499
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6883-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	439.5 KB ID:	1122500
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6719-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	415.5 KB ID:	1122501
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6622-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	465.5 KB ID:	1122502
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6698-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	417.8 KB ID:	1122503

Leave a comment:

• Calvin L
    replied

The 4th one got rejected like this:
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Is it worth appealing or not?

Thanks for the help!
    For me its not, the contrast is clearly in fault

Leave a comment:

• AaroS
    replied

Borderline contrast for all (especially the last), but ok for me (except the last).
    The 4th one got rejected like this:
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Is it worth appealing or not?

Thanks for the help!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X