Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Hi sir, could you please offer me some suggestions on this photo? Thank you.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	B-325J.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	1156485

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Originally posted by 787Dream View Post

I think when Dana says contrast/processing, it means you changed contrast towards a bad direction.
    I can see your shadows are clipped on this trial. So you need fewer shadows, which can be changed by moving the midtone slide a bit to the left in the leveling option (so you can add more luminosity on your highlight side and expand your very dense shadowy part).
    How's this looking? Brighter? And looks like shadows are recovered, image is brightened. Now I feel it is a stunning shot (that's some self-boasting in there lol).
    Click image for larger version Name:	test.png Views:	0 Size:	175.7 KB ID:	1146915
    I am not a master of night shots and certainly do not get a lot of chances to shoot in spots like this, but hope my thoughts work for you.
    Hi 787Dream! Thank you for the thorough explanation and for providing me with a new approach to brightening images! I think we only had a small misunderstanding at the beginning - Mr. Dana intended to remind me not to raise the luminosity of the shadow part too much when he mentioned contrast/processing issues. Because changing shadows/highlights usually cause the visible bad/over-processed signs that could be seen in the Check For Dust image (such as halos and bandings, and that's also why we Nikon users usually don't use D-Lighting when planespotting lol). Furthermore, considering this photo was taken handheld with a (relatively) high ISO, doing so may make the photo more noisy and grainy and therefore reduce the overall image quality (and that's also the reason why I tried so hard several times to find a proper way of brightening it while keeping the details as much as I can).
    But this is indeed a great method of recovering shadows and I'll def try it in the future, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Looks better, would be ok for me.
    Alright! Thank you so much Mr. Dana!

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunny_Lee View Post

Ohh indeed! So I processed this again (on the basis of the very first version), and darkened its shadow part while increasing the overall brightness. The photo itself seems to be okay (I presume), but there are again some bandings appearing in the sky part of the Check For Dust image... But I guess these bandings actually result from the transition from the bright light to the dark sky, which is pretty hard to avoid in night shots sometimes and I really dunno how to fix it this time Is this acceptable (or will it be acceptable if I just use the very first version that's a bit dark)?
    Looks better, would be ok for me.

Originally posted by 787Dream View Post

I think when Dana says contrast/processing, it means you changed contrast towards a bad direction.
    I can see your shadows are clipped on this trial. So you need fewer shadows
    This is incorrect. Weaker than expected shadows usually means overprocessed.

Leave a comment:

• 787Dream
    replied

Ohh indeed! So I processed this again (on the basis of the very first version), and darkened its shadow part while increasing the overall brightness. The photo itself seems to be okay (I presume), but there are again some bandings appearing in the sky part of the Check For Dust image... But I guess these bandings actually result from the transition from the bright light to the dark sky, which is pretty hard to avoid in night shots sometimes and I really dunno how to fix it this time Is this acceptable (or will it be acceptable if I just use the very first version that's a bit dark)?
    Thank you soooo much for your patience!Click image for larger version  Name:	B-30AG.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1146904Click image for larger version  Name:	procimages.php.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	556.6 KB ID:	1146906

I can see your shadows are clipped on this trial. So you need fewer shadows, which can be changed by moving the midtone slide a bit to the left in the leveling option (so you can add more luminosity on your highlight side and expand your very dense shadowy part).
    How's this looking? Brighter? And looks like shadows are recovered, image is brightened. Now I feel it is a stunning shot (that's some self-boasting in there lol).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	test.png Views:	0 Size:	175.7 KB ID:	1146915
    I am not a master of night shots and certainly do not get a lot of chances to shoot in spots like this, but hope my thoughts work for you.

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied

Looks like you're starting to play with the shadows a bit, so contrast/processing might become an issue.
    Thank you soooo much for your patience!Click image for larger version

Name:	B-30AG.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1146904Click image for larger version

Name:	procimages.php.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	1146906

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Ohh no problems, what about now sir? Is the brightness okay?
    (The histogram still shows huge amounts of darks/shadows, but it's really hard to balance it considering the spotting condition , so I increased the overall exposure and shadows and adjusted the highlight specifically to avoid blooming)
    Looks like you're starting to play with the shadows a bit, so contrast/processing might become an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie Chang View Post

not screener, looks bit dark
    Thank you Charlie, I'll continue to work on its brightness. Feels pretty hard to manage it in nightshots sometimes tho.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Chang
    replied
    (The histogram still shows huge amounts of darks/shadows, but it's really hard to balance it considering the spotting condition , so I increased the overall exposure and shadows and adjusted the highlight specifically to avoid blooming)
    not screener, looks bit dark

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi sir, could you please check this photo for me? The histogram indicates a little overexposure (due to the bright light in the background), so I'm not sure if it meets the standard of JetPhotos. Thank you so much!
    Histogram does not indicate overexposure at all, in fact shows it to be a bit dark. Other than that, would be ok for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Hi sir, could you please check this photo for me? The histogram indicates a little overexposure (due to the bright light in the background), so I'm not sure if it meets the standard of JetPhotos. Thank you so much! Click image for larger version

Name:	21077_1665221752.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1146548
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied

Contrast and compression would likely be issues.
    Ohh okay, I'll try to fix it. Thank you sir!

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hi sir, could you please check this photo for me? I'm not sure about the weird patterns shown on the Check For Dust image.
    Contrast and compression would likely be issues.

Leave a comment:

• Sunny_Lee
    replied
    Hi sir, could you please check this photo for me? I'm not sure about the weird patterns shown on the Check For Dust image. Thank you!​​​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	B-1495.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	934.9 KB
ID:	1146132
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X