CharlieTripp - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by derizu View Post

To avoid backlit photos always have your back towards the sun. That way everything you see is properly lit. If you face towards the sun you get backlit, where the subject casts it’s own shadow.
    Your blue angels C130 shot has the sun shining on the aircraft, however the 747 shots are in their own shadow.
    Hopefully this helps
    Just to avoid misconceptions, backlit is not solely shooting against the sun.
    Even when the A/C is facing directly towards the sun, or the sun is some few degrees towards your side it can still be called being backlit if the shot has the symptoms.
    To avoid it you simply need to plan the shots, so the sun shines on the majority of the A/Cs side, tha you are shooting, you can use forexample http://suncalc.net/ to get an information at what position the sun will be at your location at a given time.
    Forexample, the following shot of mine is still to be called backlit, even though, the sun was already more towards my side of the aircraft.
    A good way of deterimning backlit is by seeing that the whole scene is bright, but the aircraft is not.
    Forexample, those 2 747s are white, but at these shots they are actually grey.
    Alse another way whet the aircraft is partially lit is by looking at the tail, is the whole rudder is not lit, it is backlit.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Would you say that you are fairly safe if the sun is directly behind your back/camera +/- 15 degrees? How is the first for heat haze? How do you figure out what is the max/bext resolution for a photo? How is the second photo for primarily contrast but really everything as that photo was taken on a different camera that I usually us?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlieTripp View Post
        Would you say that you are fairly safe if the sun is directly behind your back/camera +/- 15 degrees?
        Not at all, it depends entirely on whether the side of the aircraft facing you is lit or not.

Originally posted by CharlieTripp View Post
        How is the first for heat haze?
        Barely noticeable, wouldn't be an issue for me.

How do you figure out what is the max/bext resolution for a photo?
        The lower the resolution, the more flaws will be hidden - but some guys think they need to upload the max. possible, all the time.. Personally, I usually stick to 1600pix, unless the quality is slightly less than desirable, then I might go with 1280.

How is the second photo for primarily contrast but really everything as that photo was taken on a different camera that I usually us?
        A bit dark/harsh contrast, and green tint.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Not at all, it depends entirely on whether the side of the aircraft facing you is lit or not.

Barely noticeable, wouldn't be an issue for me.

The lower the resolution, the more flaws will be hidden - but some guys think they need to upload the max. possible, all the time.. Personally, I usually stick to 1600pix, unless the quality is slightly less than desirable, then I might go with 1280.

A bit dark/harsh contrast, and green tint.
          What do you mean by quality are there specific things you look for? What are they? What, tells the photo has a green tint, how can you tell the tint adjustment is adequate? How well did I fix the tint/contrast? The big thing to avoid backlit photos is to always be able see that you are on the lit side of the aircraft, correct? You want to see a little shadow from the wing on the fuselage? Does the second count as backlit? if it is backlit, the lit up side is facing the camera and the wing casts a shadow on the fuselage just like the first photo what makes one backlit and the other not? Also how is the heat haze/contrast?

Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

What do you mean by quality are there specific things you look for? What are they? What, tells the photo has a green tint, how can you tell the tint adjustment is adequate? How well did I fix the tint/contrast? The big thing to avoid backlit photos is to always be able see that you are on the lit side of the aircraft, correct? You want to see a little shadow from the wing on the fuselage? Does the second count as backlit? if it is backlit, the lit up side is facing the camera and the wing casts a shadow on the fuselage just like the first photo what makes one backlit and the other not? Also how is the heat haze/contrast?

Thanks!
            1. color is worse, needs less green, not more. Also too soft for the size.
            2. very poor (weak) contrast.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. color is worse, needs less green, not more. Also too soft for the size.
              2. very poor (weak) contrast.
              How are these fixes? What are the primary areas that you for a green/purple tint? Is it the whole photo? Is it possible to fix vignetting? If so, how would you do it? How is the color/contrast on the last 2?

Thanks
              Attached Files

Comment

How are these fixes? What are the primary areas that you for a green/purple tint? Is it the whole photo? Is it possible to fix vignetting? If so, how would you do it? How is the color/contrast on the last 2?
                1. right side soft/blurry. contrast still borderline at best. color ok.
                2. still poor contrast.

Will not comment on those two again.

3-4. dirty, borderline harsh contrast

Comment

• To answer your snow question, it would have been a rejection as a moment later click would have avoided it.

Hope it helps
                  Alex

Comment

• This photo was previously rejected or unlevel horizon. I attempted to correct it, is the fix adequate?

Thanks for the help
                    Attached Files

Comment

This photo was previously rejected or unlevel horizon. I attempted to correct it, is the fix adequate?
                      Horizon would be ok for me.

Comment

• How is the lighting for this photo/contrast mainly around the aircraft personally think that the color of the plane and sky are too close but I am not exactly sure what the best way to fix it?

Thanks,
                        Charlie
                        Attached Files

Comment

How is the lighting for this photo/contrast mainly around the aircraft personally think that the color of the plane and sky are too close but I am not exactly sure what the best way to fix it?

Thanks,
                          Charlie
                          Contrast borderline but acceptable for me. Light editing halos also visible.

Comment

• How strict is rule 2.6 of the Upload Guidelines?

(Means that you have a similar photo already in the database. Please upload only your best photos, try to be creative. Similar refers to:
                            - a photo taken from the same sequence the same day e. landing, taxiing, ramp parking or take off
                            or
                            - same registration, similar angle or composition or same background taken on different dates.
                            - Close up views and full or partial views of an a/c taken at the same angle, are generally considered similar.

If a new upload is of a significantly better quality, we may consider accepting it.

We will only accept a certain number of cockpit or window shots taken in the same aircraft (normally no more than two).)

I have a couple photos of the same aircraft. One aircraft has a new livery (Iceland Air), the other is the same plane just a different scenario landing vs taxiing. Would these be rejected for Rule 2.6?

Iceland Air
                            Ice Air 656 KMSP-BIKF. TF-ICB. Boeing 737-9 MAX. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Delta
                            Delta 2010 KPSP-KMSP. N904DN. Boeing 737-932ER. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks
                            Attached Files

Comment

How strict is rule 2.6 of the Upload Guidelines?

(Means that you have a similar photo already in the database. Please upload only your best photos, try to be creative. Similar refers to:
                              - a photo taken from the same sequence the same day e. landing, taxiing, ramp parking or take off
                              or
                              - same registration, similar angle or composition or same background taken on different dates.
                              - Close up views and full or partial views of an a/c taken at the same angle, are generally considered similar.

If a new upload is of a significantly better quality, we may consider accepting it.

We will only accept a certain number of cockpit or window shots taken in the same aircraft (normally no more than two).)

I have a couple photos of the same aircraft. One aircraft has a new livery (Iceland Air), the other is the same plane just a different scenario landing vs taxiing. Would these be rejected for Rule 2.6?

Iceland Air
                              Ice Air 656 KMSP-BIKF. TF-ICB. Boeing 737-9 MAX. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Delta
                              Delta 2010 KPSP-KMSP. N904DN. Boeing 737-932ER. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks
                              Neither would be considered similar.

Comment

• This photo was rejected for overprocessing but because of how broad that is I am not sure what I did that was considered overprocessing could you please clear it up and say what make it over processed? Thanks
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X