jhud922 - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhud922 - editing advice

Is this style allowed? I don't want to upload it just to have it rejected 1 month later if its not allowed. Thanks!

test-1-3 by John Hudson, on Flickr

I think it would earn a cut off rejection to be honest. This angle is very much accepted but you'll notice largely with the tail included. It's just a bit out of balance with the long fuselage of the 773. If it was a shorter aircraft it could work.

Comment

Thanks. What about this version?

test 2-1 by John Hudson, on Flickr

or this?

test 3-1 by John Hudson, on Flickr

Comment

First one looks a bit unbalanced to me, I'd crop tighter on the left but the end result might be cut off too due to only having a small bit of the right wing cropped out.

Bottom one is ok for me, but I'd do a tighter crop on both sides, basically show the engines and not much more outboard of them.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
          First one looks a bit unbalanced to me, I'd crop tighter on the left but the end result might be cut off too due to only having a small bit of the right wing cropped out.

Bottom one is ok for me, but I'd do a tighter crop on both sides, basically show the engines and not much more outboard of them.
          If you are referring to the one titled "test 2-1", then yes it could be a bit tighter on the left, although you'd lose the wingtip.

Comment

I guess I have my own pre-screening thread now. Any thoughts on these? Would they be worth uploading, and if not, please give me something to fix!

test-1-3 by John Hudson, on Flickr

test-1-2 by John Hudson, on Flickr

test-1 by John Hudson, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by jhud922 View Post
              I guess I have my own pre-screening thread now. Any thoughts on these? Would they be worth uploading, and if not, please give me something to fix!
              Hi, again please read here carefully:

- Try to attach the exact images you plan to upload to your post (i.e. don't upload unedited image unless asking for general advice). Links to images that require too many click-throughs will usually be ignored
              - If you've taken 10+ images in similar conditions, there is no need to post all of them for feedback. One or two will do

We generally don't answer "which of these 2-3-4-5-etc. is best?" type requests, and if possible, please attach the exact image you plan to upload directly to your post. I can access by clicking through to flickr, but this will take me 3-4 times longer than if it were just attached to the post

Before you choose your best one, you will need to at least crop more tightly and center the aircraft better than it is in these images.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Hi, again please read here carefully:

https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...ning-from-crew

- Try to attach the exact images you plan to upload to your post (i.e. don't upload unedited image unless asking for general advice). Links to images that require too many click-throughs will usually be ignored
                - If you've taken 10+ images in similar conditions, there is no need to post all of them for feedback. One or two will do

We generally don't answer "which of these 2-3-4-5-etc. is best?" type requests, and if possible, please attach the exact image you plan to upload directly to your post. I can access by clicking through to flickr, but this will take me 3-4 times longer than if it were just attached to the post

Before you choose your best one, you will need to at least crop more tightly and center the aircraft better than it is in these images.
                Honestly man, I never intended to have any of these images "pre-screened". I simply wanted to have a discussion about certain styles. Call it pre-pre screening, and not necessarily with Screeners only. Surely there are regular people that weigh in with their experience?

This entire response has really rubbed me the wrong way.

Comment

Honestly man, I never intended to have any of these images "pre-screened". I simply wanted to have a discussion about certain styles. Call it pre-pre screening, and not necessarily with Screeners only. Surely there are regular people that weigh in with their experience?

This entire response has really rubbed me the wrong way.
                  You explicitly asked about uploading the images (Would they be worth uploading, and if not, please give me something to fix) but if it's your preference to not have any screener input, no problem, I will exclude myself from the discussion

Comment

You explicitly asked about uploading the images (Would they be worth uploading, and if not, please give me something to fix) but if it's your preference to not have any screener input, no problem, I will exclude myself from the discussion
                    I originally posted in the Aviation Photography forum, a question about a specific style and look. You moved it to this forum, and changed the title of my thread to "editing advice". You then merged my other thread, which was more of a community gauge on the editing style preferred - I wasn't specifically asking for a pre-screen for any of the images I posted! "Would they be worth uploading" is not the same thing as "I plan on uploading this in the next 5 minutes"!

Look, if you can't tell, I'm new here. Rather than move my threads around, link me to a bunch of forum stuff, why not just say "hey man if you are asking for advice on editing these images, make sure you follow this format. If you are just generally wanting to discuss styles without necessarily uploading anything, heres my opinion".

If I want to upload a specific image, and want to see if a screener has thoughts, thank you - I will use this thread.

Comment

I originally posted in the Aviation Photography forum, a question about a specific style and look. You moved it to this forum, and changed the title of my thread to "editing advice". You then merged my other thread, which was more of a community gauge on the editing style preferred - I wasn't specifically asking for a pre-screen for any of the images I posted! "Would they be worth uploading" is not the same thing as "I plan on uploading this in the next 5 minutes"!

Look, if you can't tell, I'm new here. Rather than move my threads around, link me to a bunch of forum stuff, why not just say "hey man if you are asking for advice on editing these images, make sure you follow this format. If you are just generally wanting to discuss styles without necessarily uploading anything, heres my opinion".

If I want to upload a specific image, and want to see if a screener has thoughts, thank you - I will use this thread.
                      Fair enough, but for the three F-35 images, you were specifically asking for advice/opinions on the editing, no? There is very little difference in the 'style' between them if not. As such, this is the more appropriate forum, but feel free to open another thread about general photography 'styles' in the other forum if you have questions that relate to things other than editing/processing.

And just to be clear, prescreening basically equates to people asking "are these images ok for upload, and if not, what can I do to fix them?"..which is nearly your earlier post verbatim. That's why I moved it here and answered as such, but if there is another response you're looking to get, please make sure you elucidate it so I (we) don't misinterpret what you're asking (I'm going to use another smiley emoji here, even though I already did above - it seems you're still taking my tone more seriously than you should. I'm not at all trying to lecture or criticise, but I know my dry tone comes across that way since I usually opt for brevity over warmth and fuzziness )

Comment

Fair enough, but for the three F-35 images, you were specifically asking for advice/opinions on the editing, no? There is very little difference in the 'style' between them if not. As such, this is the more appropriate forum, but feel free to open another thread about general photography 'styles' in the other forum if you have questions that relate to things other than editing/processing.

And just to be clear, prescreening basically equates to people asking "are these images ok for upload, and if not, what can I do to fix them?"..which is nearly your earlier post verbatim. That's why I moved it here and answered as such, but if there is another response you're looking to get, please make sure you elucidate it so I (we) don't misinterpret what you're asking (I'm going to use another smiley emoji here, even though I already did above - it seems you're still taking my tone more seriously than you should. I'm not at all trying to lecture or criticise, but I know my dry tone comes across that way since I usually opt for brevity over warmth and fuzziness )
                        I can see how it seems that I was asking for pre-screening advice, as many people seem to do. Again, I really wanted to have a conversation about editing styles, cropping preferences, views, angles, etc. Photography is an incredibly subjective art form. Not only does your opinion differ from mine on what makes a good and technically correct image, the various websites around the internet also have their own preferences. So before I spend a ton of time waiting on screening, I'd like to get some general feedback about the direction to take my edits. You literally have to tailor your edits for the specific site you are trying to get them on!

This is what I was looking for: F35 images - JP tends to prefer more neutral edits OR JP is ok with pushing the sliders around a bit as long as its tasteful, etc. For the Korean 77W, again, IS that style of close up tight head on crop acceptable? Its a yes or no question! If yes, ok cool - maybe i'll work on that and try to get it uploaded. If not, then its good to know!

Frankly, I kind of can't believe pre-screening is a thing. Seems like it would more than double your time spent on actual screening, but hey.

The tone of brevity over warmth is noted and probably preferred

Comment

KE: head on crops acceptable, but subjective. First two would be no for me, but the third ok.
                          F-35: processing is fine on all three, but there are multiple other issues that would cause them to be rejected.

Comment

KE: head on crops acceptable, but subjective. First two would be no for me, but the third ok.
                            F-35: processing is fine on all three, but there are multiple other issues that would cause them to be rejected.
                            Thank you for the semi but not specific pre-screening

Comment

Ok - gonna test the waters here. Please give me your opinion on these 2 images that I am attaching and let me know if should upload them as is, or make some changes (or scrap entirely). Click image for larger version

Name:	China Airlines Cargo 777 for JetPhotos-1.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	1132082Click image for larger version

Name:	Qatar-A350-for-JetPhotos.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	1132083

Comment

Working...
                              X