jhud922 - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhud922 View Post
    Ok - gonna test the waters here. Please give me your opinion on these 2 images that I am attaching and let me know if should upload them as is, or make some changes (or scrap entirely).
    Minor issues with processing (editing halos) on the first, and the second is nearly backlit so likely a rejection for that or dark/contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Minor issues with processing (editing halos) on the first, and the second is nearly backlit so likely a rejection for that or dark/contrast.
      Thanks. The second one isn't backlit, the sun was about 30 minutes from setting, so its clearly facing nearly head on. Is an aircraft facing into the sunlight like that always frowned upon?

Comment

Could I get anyone's thoughts on this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	China Airlines Cargo 777 for JetPhotos 2-1.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	560.3 KB
ID:	1132135

Comment

I'm going to ask for an opinion on this one again, I made some minor edits and I think it doesn't have any major flaws for a panning photo.

Name:	white 747 for JP-1.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	1132137

Comment

Another one! Click image for larger version

Name:	volaris-for-JP.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	1132139

Comment

Thanks. The second one isn't backlit, the sun was about 30 minutes from setting, so its clearly facing nearly head on. Is an aircraft facing into the sunlight like that always frowned upon?
              Majority of the aircraft facing the photographer in shadow = backlit, as how usually interpreted at JP - so yes, it could very well be considered backlit. If you want to submit an image with the light on the front like that, make sure the front of the aircraft takes up most of the frame.

Dynasty 32 from Taipei-Taoyuan (TPE), 26R.. B-18918. Airbus A350-941. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Could I get anyone's thoughts on this one?
              1. borderline dark/contrast
              2. borderline soft (esp. towards tail)
              3. overprocessed (editing halos)

Comment

Majority of the aircraft facing the photographer in shadow = backlit, as how usually interpreted at JP - so yes, it could very well be considered backlit. If you want to submit an image with the light on the front like that, make sure the front of the aircraft takes up most of the frame.

Dynasty 32 from Taipei-Taoyuan (TPE), 26R.. B-18918. Airbus A350-941. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

thanks - does contrast mean add more, or less? Personally, that China Airlines 777 looks a little too contrasty to me, but i want to be clear.

Comment

thanks - does contrast mean add more, or less? Personally, that China Airlines 777 looks a little too contrasty to me, but i want to be clear.
                  In this case a bit too harsh yes, but 'contrast' as a rejection reason is often used as a catchall for poor light in general so sometimes adding more or less won't help.

Comment

Also for #3, can you show me where you are seeing halos? I've equalized in photoshop and don't see any.

Comment

In this case a bit too harsh yes, but 'contrast' as a rejection reason is often used as a catchall for poor light in general so sometimes adding more or less won't help.
                      Ok...so less contrast on the China Airlines then?

Comment

Also for #3, can you show me where you are seeing halos? I've equalized in photoshop and don't see any.

Name:	image_45774.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	1132180

Not terribly strong, but they are there, and as such may cause a rejection.

Ok...so less contrast on the China Airlines then?
                        You can try, yes.

Comment

Name:	image_45774.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	1132180

Not terribly strong, but they are there, and as such may cause a rejection.

You can try, yes.
                          lol ok man, i dont see a single thing. I didn't even make any edits lol

Comment

lol ok man, i dont see a single thing. I didn't even make any edits lol
                            Fair enough, but I think I'm going to leave it at that. I'm making an honest effort to provide feedback which you are of course welcome to dismiss in such a manner, but in doing so I think it's clear it's not really worth the effort.

Comment

Fair enough, but I think I'm going to leave it at that. I'm making an honest effort to provide feedback which you are of course welcome to dismiss in such a manner, but in doing so I think it's clear it's not really worth the effort.
                              I do appreciate you weighing in, even if I disagree. It does seem like a lot of these feedbacks are a bit arbitrary and unnecessarily critical, but I get that there are a lot of other quality images uploaded daily and they can't all be accepted. I'll try to work on accepting the feedback and moving on.

Comment

I want to test something here, this image is to me, insane. I can hardly look at it, its blowing out my retinas. However, maybe others disagree? I watched a video tutorial recently by a photographer here who has over 1k photos and a very high acceptance rate. I've essentially copied his technique, and I will share my settings from LR as well. I'd love to know anyone's thoughts on this - aka, would this get accepted were I to upload it?
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	fedex test-1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	423.1 KB ID:	1132232

2022-02-24 18_13_08-Lightroom Catalog-3-2-v10-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop by John Hudson, on Flickr
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X