Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutenhefner prescreening request / editing advice

Hello,

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

It was my second spotting day, I don't understand why my pictures appear blurry and soft. Can it be fixed in post-processing or I should try some different techniques and maybe settings of my camera?

Am I right that underexposiness can be fixed by correcting exposure so histogram appears mostly in the center?

Also, if there's no other rejection reasons, does it mean that I can re-upload it without hot info and it will be accepted?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

A good starting point to taking photos is to understand the exposure triangle which is the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO which are the 3 main things that need to be right to get a good photo from the camera first before moving onto the post-processing/editing stage on your computer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cheatsheat-exposure-triangle.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1134972

For aviation photography, on a good sunny day a typical setting would be AV - f8, Shutter - 1/500, iso - 100. This will need to be altered/compensated for according to the relevant light conditions of the day.

Once you have your photo, you can then go to the editing stage where you can add sharpness. Most images out of a camera will require sharpening in the editing stage (particularly if you shoot raw). If the image comes out of the camera blurry then there is very little chance of saving it. If the photo comes out of the camera too dark, yes you can adjust the brightness and exposure in your software but beware of introducing noise. It is often better to slightly over-expose the image taking it as a raw file and then reducing the exposure. RAW images are far easier to save if something goes wrong. JPGs straight from a camera are already processed inside the camera and have less flexibility in the processing stage.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Well, I understand the basics of photography pretty well, I should have metioned that. That day I took photos with 1/640 f/6.3 ISO100 in RAW. So, could such open aperture play some role in blurriness on the edges of the photo? Or maybe it's my camera's sensor being only 16MP, and all photos produced by it will be not suitable for JP?

Also, I've added as much sharp as I could in post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutenhefner View Post
        Well, I understand the basics of photography pretty well, I should have metioned that. That day I took photos with 1/640 f/6.3 ISO100 in RAW. So, could such open aperture play some role in blurriness on the edges of the photo? Or maybe it's my camera's sensor being only 16MP, and all photos produced by it will be not suitable for JP?
        Yes, most lenses (especially lower-end ones) will show more softness towards the edges of the frame, especially with the aperture more open as you had it in this image.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Yes, most lenses (especially lower-end ones) will show more softness towards the edges of the frame, especially with the aperture more open as you had it in this image.
          Thank you for the answer. Now I know, indeed my lens should be used with f/7.1 or narrower. It's pretty affordable and still pretty good quality. I'm pretty excited to try again with that knowledge.

Comment

Hello, I would like to know why this photo was rejected for the following reasons.

Comment

Hello, I would like to know why this photo was rejected for the following reasons.

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=10146712
              Hi,

You can find descriptions of the rejection reasons here:

If you have more specific questions after reading that, please feel free to ask.

Comment

Yeah, I have then more specific questions.

Why it was rejected for contrast? Is there something wrong with this histogram? I mean, isn't it balanced? If not, then how could I make it right?
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Lightroom_cYIob8afZ9.png Views:	0 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	1137789

I don't understand why it was rejected for JPG artifacts. Photo was saved with JPG quality at 100 without any size limitations in Lightroom.

And finally, I can't even check what's wrong about category. There was nothing in E-Mail about that.

Comment

I suspect you didn't check the Bizjet category.

Comment

Yeah, I have then more specific questions.

Why it was rejected for contrast? Is there something wrong with this histogram? I mean, isn't it balanced? If not, then how could I make it right?
                    Click image for larger version Name:	Lightroom_cYIob8afZ9.png Views:	0 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	1137789

I don't understand why it was rejected for JPG artifacts. Photo was saved with JPG quality at 100 without any size limitations in Lightroom.

And finally, I can't even check what's wrong about category. There was nothing in E-Mail about that.
                    Looks more like an underexposure problem than contrast to me, though lack of direct light can cause contrast issues (not really here). Sky is blotchy, couldn't say exactly why, but that would be the compression issue. This is a Business Jet.

Comment

Alright, so is it just case of bad luck with this photo, and I can't anything with it?

Comment

Alright, so is it just case of bad luck with this photo, and I can't anything with it?
                        Not sure how underexposure would be related to luck, but no, with a better/proper edit, this could very well be acceptable.

Comment

Feel free to send me the raw file and I can have a go at the edit. Looks like a great shot so its probably savalgeable! PM me if you want.

Comment

I don't have pretty much will to do anything with this photo, I had just to know what's wrong, so I could learn on these mistakes Thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	21456_1652370184.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	1137845What would you say now?

Comment

Working...
                              X