RC-Aviation - Screening / Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP,

Just my thoughts here, but what i've found over the last 6 months or so is that the screeners really prefer an extremely contrasty image. In my opinion, a far, far more contrasty image than traditional photography rules dictate, but then I am not really sure what the background is to most of the screeners here, or even the background of the site's admins who may dictate these rules.

So what I usually do is lightly edit the image mostly for any major dust spots, and then when it looks good, just bump the contrast a bit. It seems wrong at first but you can always have a correctly edited photo for your own site, instagram flickr etc

Comment

Originally posted by jhud922 View Post
      OP,

Just my thoughts here, but what i've found over the last 6 months or so is that the screeners really prefer an extremely contrasty image. In my opinion, a far, far more contrasty image than traditional photography rules dictate, but then I am not really sure what the background is to most of the screeners here, or even the background of the site's admins who may dictate these rules.

So what I usually do is lightly edit the image mostly for any major dust spots, and then when it looks good, just bump the contrast a bit. It seems wrong at first but you can always have a correctly edited photo for your own site, instagram flickr etc
      Just saw your post, and I’m starting to figure that out about the screening process here. Photos with 0 noise reduction are rejected for being overprocessed, and shots in full sunlight are rejected for too little contrast, even after contrast was added. I guess the idea of avoiding harsh shadows due to direct sunlight gets thrown out with aviation photography.

Comment

Originally posted by RC-Aviation View Post

Just saw your post, and I’m starting to figure that out about the screening process here. Photos with 0 noise reduction are rejected for being overprocessed, and shots in full sunlight are rejected for too little contrast, even after contrast was added. I guess the idea of avoiding harsh shadows due to direct sunlight gets thrown out with aviation photography.
        There is a worship of the almighty equalize tool. Basically you need to submit your photo to the queue, and then use the "check for dust spots" tool. If there is any halo effect anywhere at all, it will be rejected, no matter how invisible it is without equalizing. Basically you can't touch the highlights or shadows sliders.

Comment

Working...
        X