Andrew Roberts - editing/rejection advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Roberts - editing/rejection advice

I got a camera recently and started taking pictures. I think this is a great way to share and improve photo taking skills so I'm excited.
    These are my first couple uploads. Any advice?
    Attached Files

I also considered posting this one since it had two Tri engine Falcons, but I cut the nose off the right one...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi! I am not a screener so my advice isn't that important, but I think the first picture would be acceptable if you would center the aircraft, fix the horizon line crop it a bit tighter and sharpen it a bit more! The second looks blurry to me because it seems that it focused on another aircraft, I can see the sharp wing to the left of the picture. The third one I absolutely love, but I don't think it would be acceptable since it seems backlit, or just the plane seems dark, but you should use it on social media

Comment

Originally posted by Istrate Alexandru View Post
        Hi! I am not a screener so my advice isn't that important, but I think the first picture would be acceptable if you would center the aircraft, fix the horizon line crop it a bit tighter and sharpen it a bit more! The second looks blurry to me because it seems that it focused on another aircraft, I can see the sharp wing to the left of the picture. The third one I absolutely love, but I don't think it would be acceptable since it seems backlit, or just the plane seems dark, but you should use it on social media
        Thank you! Ok I got the first one a little straighter, rotated the photo a tiny bit, cropped it tighter, and sharpened it a little bit. I feel like its hard to get it real sharp with the 1280 limitation but I'll have to deal with that for now.

I'll remove the 2nd

Brightened up the third a little bit to make it look less dark. The sun was roughly at my 3 o clock when I took that photo, about 1 hour before sunset.
        Attached Files

Comment

Another one I would like to post. These are of a friend of mine, would likely post it as a "hot" photo. It is a 2/3 size Storch and I don't think there are any other photos on here with that tail number. The second one is a little better but the tail is cutoff
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi! The first picture of the falcon is still not straight, use vertical points of reference to fix the horizon, I can see a small pipe to the right of it which might come to use. Also centering an aircraft does not usually include the tail, center it based on the fuselage, so the fuselage is centered, such as in this example: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10626205
            And for your friend's pictures, only the first seems usable but you could do, or your friend could do some centering. You can do a hot photo if the registration isn't in the database or if the airframe has a new livery. That aircraft doesn't have any other photo so you could try uploading it, but make sure you fill in the right information.

Comment

Originally posted by Istrate Alexandru View Post
              Hi! The first picture of the falcon is still not straight, use vertical points of reference to fix the horizon, I can see a small pipe to the right of it which might come to use. Also centering an aircraft does not usually include the tail, center it based on the fuselage, so the fuselage is centered, such as in this example: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10626205
              And for your friend's pictures, only the first seems usable but you could do, or your friend could do some centering. You can do a hot photo if the registration isn't in the database or if the airframe has a new livery. That aircraft doesn't have any other photo so you could try uploading it, but make sure you fill in the right information.
              I think the pipe you are referring to is the taxiway light. Those are notoriously not straight up and down but I rotated again based on those. The horizon won't be straight because both the treeline and mountains in the background aren't flat. I centered the photo around the fuselage. I had to bring more photo into play to keep the whole plane in play, seems like a lot of pavement and sky but if you think that looks better I'll upload it that way. I'm totally new to this! edit: I get it now. You mean center the plane vertically using the fueselage! changed the other one as well to be centered around the fuselage. Will need to remember that when taking the photos in the future

The picture of my buddies airplane seems like too much work to post. The aircraft doesn't exist in the database. The airport doesn't exist in the database, we don't want the exact location published, and I'm a new photographer. Sounds like a real uphill battle trying to get that posted here. I'll just post that one elsewhere
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by golfpilot View Post

I think the pipe you are referring to is the taxiway light. Those are notoriously not straight up and down but I rotated again based on those. The horizon won't be straight because both the treeline and mountains in the background aren't flat. I centered the photo around the fuselage. I had to bring more photo into play to keep the whole plane in play, seems like a lot of pavement and sky but if you think that looks better I'll upload it that way. I'm totally new to this! edit: I get it now. You mean center the plane vertically using the fueselage! changed the other one as well to be centered around the fuselage. Will need to remember that when taking the photos in the future

The picture of my buddies airplane seems like too much work to post. The aircraft doesn't exist in the database. The airport doesn't exist in the database, we don't want the exact location published, and I'm a new photographer. Sounds like a real uphill battle trying to get that posted here. I'll just post that one elsewhere
                Hello, I'm not a screener but:

1: Too much dead space so try using a closer crop. Borderline dark too imo.
                2: Backlit so not acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by nsxr_ View Post

Hello, I'm not a screener but:

1: Too much dead space so try using a closer crop. Borderline dark too imo.
                  2: Backlit so not acceptable.
                  1. Can't center the fuselage and keep the scenery in play with a closer crop. I had that in an earlier photo and its pretty clear the plane being lower in the frame isn't going to pass.
                  2. That photo is not backlit. The sun is between my 3 and 6 o clock. the shadows you are seeing are from trees

Comment

Hello you need to crop it more, the photo should not have so much of dead space and the goal is to have the center of the fuselage approximately in the middle of the frame, I guess, the crop should be sth like this. I do understand, that you want to have the mountains in the shot, but in that case you should have taken the shot from a different angle.

Regarding the second, it has a bad contrast and which basically has the same symptoms as backlit, meaning, that most of the aircraft is not affected by the sunlight, in this case, the aircraft indeed appears to be in the shadow of the trees and not in its own shadow, but that does not change anything about the fact, that such a shot is most likely to be rejected.

IMHO the second should also be cropped more from the left side.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also not a screener, but your second one is in JP-terms definetely backlit, With the sun in your mentioned angle the sun is clearly shining on the opposite side of the aircraft. Only the top of the fuseelage is lit by the sun. Most of the aircraft and thus the tail is in its own shadow so backlit.
                      For the first I agree with the previous posters

Comment

Originally posted by JuklicekCZ View Post
                        Hello you need to crop it more, the photo should not have so much of dead space and the goal is to have the center of the fuselage approximately in the middle of the frame, I guess, the crop should be sth like this. I do understand, that you want to have the mountains in the shot, but in that case you should have taken the shot from a different angle.

Regarding the second, it has a bad contrast and which basically has the same symptoms as backlit, meaning, that most of the aircraft is not affected by the sunlight, in this case, the aircraft indeed appears to be in the shadow of the trees and not in its own shadow, but that does not change anything about the fact, that such a shot is most likely to be rejected.

IMHO the second should also be cropped more from the left side.
                        On the other hand, I must admit, that I have found the following line in the Upload guideline:
                        "an aircraft placed off center on purpose to include a distinctive background or to enhance the expression of a photo."
                        Thus potentially, you could have some kind of an excuse for putting the N721HM falcon off center, but ii would be better to get it confirmed by an actual screenerer.

Comment

These would be rejected:

1. centering, too far
                          2. centering, backlit, soft

Another one I would like to post. These are of a friend of mine, would likely post it as a "hot" photo. It is a 2/3 size Storch and I don't think there are any other photos on here with that tail number. The second one is a little better but the tail is cutoff
                          These would be rejected for similar, among other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

These would be rejected:

1. centering, too far
                            2. centering, backlit, soft

These would be rejected for similar, among other issues.
                            I'm new to this so excuse my ignorance, but how is the second one backlit? The sun was behind me when I took the picture. I think people are seeing the shadow in front of the airplane and just assume its the airplane's shadow? This is what I think "backlit" means. But this photo passed screening... OO-TRJ | Reims-Cessna F172P Skyhawk II | Limburgse Vleugels | BaszB | JetPhotos

Comment

I'm new to this so excuse my ignorance, but how is the second one backlit? The sun was behind me when I took the picture. I think people are seeing the shadow in front of the airplane and just assume its the airplane's shadow? This is what I think "backlit" means. But this photo passed screening... OO-TRJ | Reims-Cessna F172P Skyhawk II | Limburgse Vleugels | BaszB | JetPhotos
                              The wast majority of the shot, that you have posted in the link is well lit, there is just as marginal portion in shadow due to the high wing configuration, which is to be expected.
                              While on your shot, the falcon appears to have just the leading edges affected by light.
                              According to the JP definitions in the upload guidelines shot is backlit if the tail is in its own shadow, or casts a shadow on the fuselage (So backlit does not just mean, that the sun is directly in your sight).
                              With respect to the Shot, I would bet, that the sun's position was approximately between the 12th - 1st hour from the perspective of the aircraft.
                              Please also see, how at this shot, the same aircraft is much more white, while at your shot the white is mostly grey.
                              N98AC. Dassault Falcon 50EX. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Working...
                              X