thepiecesfit - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thepiecesfit - prescreening request / editing advice

Hi, I'm completely new to jetphotos and was wondering whether these photos are acceptable, and I would like feedback on them to see whether I can get them in, and to just improve my photo editing skills. I'll also list my thoughts on them and give a bit of context.

Photo 1: Emirates 777
    I don't know if this photo is going to make it, it's really soft and it's not centered, but I want to see if it can get in anyways

Photo 2: Sri Lankan A320, one world livery
    It seems slightly too soft, not sure how to fix that. On top of that, there's the grey sky, and the roof and the crane on the bottom right might be going against the composition rules.

Photo 3: Thai Smile A320
    Seems alright but I'm not sure if having the window frame in the photo is allowed.

Photo 4: Sri Lankan A320 wing view
    This probably needs some heavy editing because the contrast is completely off. Also I'm not sure if vertical images are allowed.

My 2 main questions are how do I stop a photo from being soft and what resolution do the photos I upload have to be in. Thank you to anyone who responds.
    Attached Files

All of the photos will not get in. Most of the reasons you thought of are correct.
    The Emirates: if it would have been sharp, and well lit, it *might* just have had a chance of getting into the database. Ah yes, the airbridge is blocking part of the engine so that would be obstruction aswell.
    Sri Lanka: contrast, gray sky, backlit, obstruction, noise, soft, underexposed. Impossible to save. Think about taking pictures with the sun in the back, even when its bad weather and think about not having ANY obstructions in front of your aircraft.
    Thai Smile: wingviews are only accepted when theres a motive, like a beautiful cloud formation or sunset. This doesn't seem special enough. Also unlevel, turn few degrees clockwise. Will not get accepted.
    Sri Lankan: all the reasons you stated. Soft, contrast, no motive, underexposed.

To answer your questions: To get a sharp picture, make sure your camera and lenses are good enough and make sure they arent the cause of the softness. The more you zoom with a lens the softer it will be. Another tip is to have a steady hand and higher shutterspeeds. Google is your friend here, try and learn yourself the basics of photography, then it all will become more clear.

Also read this thread through thoroughly if you’d like to get started on JP, and I’d also suggest looking at the recently accepted photos on the homepage, there you can compare if the photos you take reach that quality. https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...es-new-version.

The resolution you need to upload in is found on the left side of the upload page.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by thepiecesfit View Post
      Hi, I'm completely new to jetphotos and was wondering whether these photos are acceptable, and I would like feedback on them to see whether I can get them in, and to just improve my photo editing skills. I'll also list my thoughts on them and give a bit of context.

Photo 1: Emirates 777
      I don't know if this photo is going to make it, it's really soft and it's not centered, but I want to see if it can get in anyways

Photo 2: Sri Lankan A320, one world livery
      It seems slightly too soft, not sure how to fix that. On top of that, there's the grey sky, and the roof and the crane on the bottom right might be going against the composition rules.

Photo 3: Thai Smile A320
      Seems alright but I'm not sure if having the window frame in the photo is allowed.

Photo 4: Sri Lankan A320 wing view
      This probably needs some heavy editing because the contrast is completely off. Also I'm not sure if vertical images are allowed.

My 2 main questions are how do I stop a photo from being soft and what resolution do the photos I upload have to be in. Thank you to anyone who responds.
      Hi, these would all be rejected:

1. soft, noisy, dark, contrast, centering
      2. obstruction, soft, contrast, noisy, centering
      3-4. horizon, soft, contrast, noisy, glare/dirt

None of them would appear to be fixable.

As a new uploader, you can upload images anyway from 1024-1280pix. Best way to get a sharp image to upload is to start with a sharp one. This usually means good equipment and good technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Vancoillie View Post
        To answer your questions: To get a sharp picture, make sure your camera and lenses are good enough and make sure they arent the cause of the softness. The more you zoom with a lens the softer it will be. Another tip is to have a steady hand and higher shutterspeeds. Google is your friend here, try and learn yourself the basics of photography, then it all will become more clear.

I seem to be using the same lenses as a few other photographers, all of whom have got better results out of it than me (lens in question being an EF-S 18-55). Any tips on how I can improve sharpness of an image while I'm taking it, as opposed to through software?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          1. soft, noisy, dark, contrast, centering
          2. obstruction, soft, contrast, noisy, centering
          3-4. horizon, soft, contrast, noisy, glare/dirt
          How do I improve the contrast of my pictures, and is it possible to fix the contrast of these pictures? Thanks for the help.

Comment

How do I improve the contrast of my pictures, and is it possible to fix the contrast of these pictures? Thanks for the help.
            Not possible to fix these, you need to take photos in better light conditions - at least if you hope to have them accepted here.

Comment

Prescreening request - 8th October 2022

So, I've had a go at the same Emirates 777 as earlier - I found a picture of it before the airbridge had been attached, therefore hopefully the obstruction wouldn't pose a problem. Also, I'd like to imagine that my editing skills have gotten better since the last time I tried, so here goes.

Once again, thanks for any help. Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0002-A6-ENC.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	926.6 KB
ID:	1146569

Comment

I'm not a screener but I am pretty sure it. will be rejected for dark and also obstructed on the left of the image - the wing is blocked.

Comment

Yes the photo is dark, but a tighter crop is also needed on the left side, this will also fix the obstruction on the left.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkLawrence View Post
                    I'm not a screener but I am pretty sure it. will be rejected for dark and also obstructed on the left of the image - the wing is blocked.
                    I've had another go at editing it, what are your thoughts? My concern now is that the image looks a bit over-edited and a bit too soft. Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0002.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1146583

Comment

I've had another go at editing it, what are your thoughts? My concern now is that the image looks a bit over-edited and a bit too soft.
                      This would be rejected for dark, noise, soft, and cut off. The quality is much too poor for 1920pix.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

This would be rejected for dark, noise, soft, and cut off. The quality is much too poor for 1920pix.
                        Do you think that this image is recoverable? I was really happy with its quality and sharpness, so I'm not sure what I could do differently. If it's of any help, here is the raw image.

Update: I've tried sharpening and touching up the image a bit more. Thoughts? Click image for larger version

Views:	253
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1146636

Comment

Do you think that this image is recoverable? I was really happy with its quality and sharpness, so I'm not sure what I could do differently. If it's of any help, here is the raw image.

Update: I've tried sharpening and touching up the image a bit more. Thoughts? Click image for larger version

Views:	253
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1146636
                          not screener, looks dark
                          Kind regards from Sydney
                          Charlie Chang

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Chang View Post

not screener, looks dark
                            Do you think the image is salvageable?

Comment