No announcement yet.

AMGEnthusiast63 - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think it might be a lens issue, Dana? I’m currently using the Sigma 100-400C for nikon, and usually stop the aperture down to f9 when shooting. I know it’s something of a budget lens compared to more expensive options like Canon and Sony’s 100-400 and even Nikon’s own 80-400 and Z 100-400, but is the quality difference really that massive? As I’ve read reviews praising its performance in well-lit conditions (for its price).
    Or do I need to stop down the aperture more?
    Another thing is I use the lens with a DX sensor, maybe the pixel density just demands too much of the lens?

Also what autofocusing method do you recommend for Nikon DSLRs? (Namely the D7500 with the good old 51 point AF system)

Comment

• Originally posted by AMGEnthusiast63 View Post
      Do you think it might be a lens issue, Dana? I’m currently using the Sigma 100-400C for nikon, and usually stop the aperture down to f9 when shooting. I know it’s something of a budget lens compared to more expensive options like Canon and Sony’s 100-400 and even Nikon’s own 80-400 and Z 100-400, but is the quality difference really that massive? As I’ve read reviews praising its performance in well-lit conditions (for its price).
      Or do I need to stop down the aperture more?
      Another thing is I use the lens with a DX sensor, maybe the pixel density just demands too much of the lens?

Also what autofocusing method do you recommend for Nikon DSLRs? (Namely the D7500 with the good old 51 point AF system)
      Could be the lens, or something else. Without having it in hand to test myself, I could only guess.

Compare a similar crop of an image I took last week, and tell me which one you think is sharper (no sharpening added to mine):

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_55956.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	890.9 KB ID:	1162394

Focusing is unlikely to be the issue here, but I typically just use center-spot.

Comment

• Wow, yours is probably even sharper than some of my sharpened images……

One thing might be that I was taking photos from over 700 meters away from the runway (compared to the 400-meter-or-so distance I’ve previously had experience with).
        Another is that I was using a slightly big crop (although the lens has enough reach, but I was trying to avoid vignetting issues).
        Might any of these factors contribute to the softness?

Also do lens hoods contribute to vignetting in any way?
        Thanks!

Comment

Wow, yours is probably even sharper than some of my sharpened images……

One thing might be that I was taking photos from over 700 meters away from the runway (compared to the 400-meter-or-so distance I’ve previously had experience with).
          Another is that I was using a slightly big crop (although the lens has enough reach, but I was trying to avoid vignetting issues).

Thanks!
          lens hoods does not effect the vigneeting, the vignetting is causing by the lens it self. My sigma 150-600S has serious vignetting issue and i solved it by using the DX mode on my camera.

Comment

Wow, yours is probably even sharper than some of my sharpened images……

Thanks!
            Yes, distance from the subject and amount of cropping can absolutely affect sharpness. In my comparative image above, I was about 300m away, and only needed to crop maybe 15-20% of the frame.

Comment

• Thank you Dana! That explains the softness, most of my images that were shot closer were significantly sharper as well.
              Will try to shoot closer next time

Thank you too Tzeman, guess I’ll just have to stop down the aperture some more.

Comment

• Hi, new batch of photos just came in I altered some variables in my shooting process and I think these seem sharper than the last batch, so I'd like to give them a go in 1920pix. Prescreening for these please, thanks!
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi, new batch of photos just came in I altered some variables in my shooting process and I think these seem sharper than the last batch, so I'd like to give them a go in 1920pix. Prescreening for these please, thanks!
                  These would all be rejected for contrast/sharpening issues. Quality is not there for 1920pix, will not comment on them again at this size.

Comment

• Sorry, guess these still aren't sharp enough...
                    1600pix now for this, would like prescreening for these. Thanks!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, guess these still aren't sharp enough...
                      Looks like there's halos on the Eva air

Comment

Sorry, guess these still aren't sharp enough...
                        Soft/heat hazed and poor contrast for all.

Originally posted by Oojiflip View Post
                        Looks like there's halos on the Eva air
                        Please ignore this advice.

Comment

• Hi, recently I got a chance to visit Hong Kong, here are some pics.
                          1st: Window shot, would this be acceptable?
                          2nd, 3rd: Skybridge at chai lap kok, I'm not sure whether the 1920pix and 1280pix versions work, so which one would be acceptable and if not, what are the issues?
                          4th, 5th: Night shot of a CX A35K, same as above, would both of these versions work and if not what issues are present?
                          Thanks!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi, recently I got a chance to visit Hong Kong, here are some pics.
                            1st: Window shot, would this be acceptable?
                            2nd, 3rd: Skybridge at chai lap kok, I'm not sure whether the 1920pix and 1280pix versions work, so which one would be acceptable and if not, what are the issues?
                            4th, 5th: Night shot of a CX A35K, same as above, would both of these versions work and if not what issues are present?
                            Thanks!
                            1. ok for me
                            2. borderline dark/contrast
                            3. borderline oversharpened

Lower resolution better.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

1. ok for me
                              2. borderline dark/contrast
                              3. borderline oversharpened

Lower resolution better.
                              Too little contrast for the skybridge, right? And what category should be selected for it? Ramp or Terminal, or something else? Thanks.

Comment

• Hi, I've made some adjustments according to previous advice, are these acceptable?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X