No announcement yet.

AMGEnthusiast63 - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, prescreening please for this A380, Thanks! (Counts as night shot, right?)
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by AMGEnthusiast63 View Post
      Hi, prescreening please for this A380, Thanks! (Counts as night shot, right?)
      Sharpening is likely to be an issue. Yes night shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Sharpening is likely to be an issue. Yes night shot.
        Too little sharpening, right?
        Would this be better? Thanks!
        Attached Files

Comment

Too little sharpening, right?
          Would this be better? Thanks!
          It is improved, but still parts seem (very) soft

Comment

• Two different sharpening levels here, would these two be acceptable?
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hi,

both versions should work.
              Best Regards from Germany,
              Julian S.​

Comment

• Originally posted by Julian S. View Post
                Hi,

both versions should work.
                Thanks! I'll give it a go.

Comment

• Pre-screening for these please, thanks! (3rd and 4th have different sharpening levels, would either be OK?)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Pre-screening for these please, thanks! (3rd and 4th have different sharpening levels, would either be OK?)
                    Borderline soft.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Borderline soft.
                      Thanks Dana. Are these better?

By the way, how can I tell if sharpening is appropriate? I've tried eyeballing it but it doesn't seem to work, so I've returned to applying a specific range of sharpening degree for similar photos(most of the photos accepted had sharpening degree 30 for early afternoon shots, some night shots needed 70-80). It has worked somehow, but sometimes it is borderline(as for the above, i applied 30-35 sharpening for the A321 and around 70 for the 777) .

Do you refer to specific details(ie clear regs, no jagged edges, no blurry borders etc.), or are there other methods of evaluating sharpness?
                      Also, I've noticed that aircraft with relatively smaller registrations are frequently too soft(as with the 777 above), do I need extra sharpening for smaller regs?

Many thanks!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dana. Are these better?

By the way, how can I tell if sharpening is appropriate? I've tried eyeballing it but it doesn't seem to work, so I've returned to applying a specific range of sharpening degree for similar photos(most of the photos accepted had sharpening degree 30 for early afternoon shots, some night shots needed 70-80). It has worked somehow, but sometimes it is borderline(as for the above, i applied 30-35 sharpening for the A321 and around 70 for the 777) .

Do you refer to specific details(ie clear regs, no jagged edges, no blurry borders etc.), or are there other methods of evaluating sharpness?
                        Also, I've noticed that aircraft with relatively smaller registrations are frequently too soft(as with the 777 above), do I need extra sharpening for smaller regs?

Many thanks!
                        There is no single setting that can be applied to every image, as every image will vary in its initial sharpness level, depending on camera settings, motion blur, focus, etc.. You'll simply need to learn to eyeball them better.

These three are still borderline, and noticeably softer towards the tail. This would likely point to a lens issue, as some lenses/settings cause more softness as you get closer to the edges of the frame.

Comment

• Thanks Dana. How do you usually judge sharpness for a photo? I’m not quite sure what visual elements to refer to when checking. Is it the registration, or the livery stripes, or borders of colors? And to roughly what extent should they be for them to be correctly sharpened? I’d like to know your judging process for sharpness, so I can improve my own judgment, thanks!

Comment

Thanks Dana. How do you usually judge sharpness for a photo? I’m not quite sure what visual elements to refer to when checking. Is it the registration, or the livery stripes, or borders of colors? And to roughly what extent should they be for them to be correctly sharpened? I’d like to know your judging process for sharpness, so I can improve my own judgment, thanks!
                            Years of experience 'eyeballing'. As I said, there is no one parameter. That said, softness usually shows up more towards the edges (be it because of motion blur or lens softness), so if the corners/edges are sharp, the rest of the frame should be as well.

Comment

• Thanks, I guess I’ll just have to go through more photos then!

Comment

• Would these be sharp enough now?
                                Also would like prescreening for the 330 and 747, thank you!(the 330 isn't a night shot, right?)
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X