AMGEnthusiast63 - prescreening request / editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AMGEnthusiast63 View Post
    Thanks Dana. Are there telltale signs that indicate the quality isn’t there?
    Softness/noise that could likely be hidden at lower resolutions.

Originally posted by AMGEnthusiast63 View Post
    (For the SQ I only added extra sharpening and contrast plus a bit of noise removal, why would quality be an issue all of a sudden?)
    What do you mean "all of a sudden"?

see:
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Soft/poor contrast. Please do not attempt to upload at 1920pix.
    And quality aside, how is the contrast for these photos?
    Borderline but acceptable for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Softness/noise that could likely be hidden at lower resolutions.

What do you mean "all of a sudden"?

see:

Borderline but acceptable for me.
      Oh thanks, now I understand.
      Just asking, but would adding even more sharpening/noise removal usually solve (or at least mitigate) the quality issue?
      (For example this edit here)
      And another 1600pix version, would this work?
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh thanks, now I understand.
        Just asking, but would adding even more sharpening/noise removal usually solve (or at least mitigate) the quality issue?
        (For example this edit here)
        And another 1600pix version, would this work?
        1600 version is oversharpened and a bit noisy, but closer to being acceptable.

Comment

1600 version is oversharpened and a bit noisy, but closer to being acceptable.
          Hopefully acceptable now for these 1600pix images?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hopefully acceptable now for these 1600pix images?
            First borderline but acceptable for me. Second two can still kind of see the haze/softness, so might want to try at 1280pix.

Comment

• Hi Dana, which of these would be acceptable?

(Also a bit curious, but what telephoto lens do you use for aviation photography? I find photos from my sigma 100-400 to demand quite a bit of sharpening during editing)
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dana, which of these would be acceptable?

(Also a bit curious, but what telephoto lens do you use for aviation photography? I find photos from my sigma 100-400 to demand quite a bit of sharpening during editing)
                Both are suffering from heat haze.

Majority of my images here (2013-2021) were taken with Sigma (Nikon mount) 120-300mm 2.8 https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/s013_120_300_28/ either alone, or with a 2x tele.

I switched systems last year, so now use Sony 200-600mm https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/c...ses/sel200600g which is nearly as sharp, but significantly lighter and removes the need for the tele. Since I rarely shot wide open on the Sigma, I don't miss its faster aperture.

I have a lighter/cheaper 70-300mm that I use for traveling, so some images are taken with that as well.

Comment

• Hi Dana, long time no see!
                  I recently took some photos of the C919 on its first commercial flight (well actually second, it was the return leg of a round trip), and I'd appreciate prescreening for it, as well as the CA and OZ taken on the same day.
                  Also, here's a photo of a Boeing 787 that I literally shot out of a car window on a highway and this was the only relatively clear image I got. As such, I'm a bit worried about 1920pix, would the two images (1920pix and 1440pix) have any issues? (especially contrast and brightness) Thanks!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dana, long time no see!
                    I recently took some photos of the C919 on its first commercial flight (well actually second, it was the return leg of a round trip), and I'd appreciate prescreening for it, as well as the CA and OZ taken on the same day.
                    Also, here's a photo of a Boeing 787 that I literally shot out of a car window on a highway and this was the only relatively clear image I got. As such, I'm a bit worried about 1920pix, would the two images (1920pix and 1440pix) have any issues? (especially contrast and brightness) Thanks!
                    Images are noisy/lack quality for larger resolutions. Better to stick to 1280pix.

Comment

Images are noisy/lack quality for larger resolutions. Better to stick to 1280pix.
                      Oh……ok, thanks. (But I just love larger images) Just asking, but would adding sharpness & noise reduction work for them? And there’s no heat haze, right?

One more thing, do you usually do noise reduction first or sharpening first?

Comment

Just asking, but would adding sharpness & noise reduction work for them? And there’s no heat haze, right?
                        Probably not. Don't see heat haze, only softness.

One more thing, do you usually do noise reduction first or sharpening first?
                        Don't use noise reduction other than in the basic raw->jpeg conversion.

Comment

• Thought I'd give these three another go, (sorry I really hope to get big pics on JP, hard to go back to 1280) would these be better now?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thought I'd give these three another go, (sorry I really hope to get big pics on JP, hard to go back to 1280) would these be better now?
                            Would be rejections for me. Won't comment on these again.

Comment

• Sorry, guess I should've kept to lower res......
                              just one question not concerning prescreening edited images, the following is a RAW-converted jpg file (+2 sharpening and 0 clarity added in-camera) cropped from a 5568 by 3712 sensor (no postprocessing other than the bit of in-camera processing), is it normal for this kind of softness to be present? And are there any shooting methods to help improve image quality?

Edit: Odd, it keeps downsizing the file to 2500pix, it used to be 4200pix......
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, guess I should've kept to lower res......
                                just one question not concerning prescreening edited images, the following is a RAW-converted jpg file (+2 sharpening and 0 clarity added in-camera) cropped from a 5568 by 3712 sensor (no postprocessing other than the bit of in-camera processing), is it normal for this kind of softness to be present? And are there any shooting methods to help improve image quality?

Edit: Odd, it keeps downsizing the file to 2500pix, it used to be 4200pix......
                                That is much softer than I would expect straight from the camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X