X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarinoCodes
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    The conversion from the raw file to jpeg inherently applies some, but I don't add any when editing the jpeg.
    Oh, that's weird, didn't know that. Is there a way to get a rejection if you don't apply noise reduction when it's needed?

I was one of those who mentioned that, and yes, I don't think more editing would help. This would be rejected for soft, and contrast/backlit. You can keep trying to work on it if you want, but I won't comment on it anymore.
    Makes sense, just wanted to test Photoshop out and I liked it better the way I just did it now so asked for a pre-screen anyway. Thanks for your time and feedback.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by MarinoCodes View Post

Thank you, helps a lot.
    Just to double-check, you do actually do noise reduction, correct? Since you didn't list it.
    The conversion from the raw file to jpeg inherently applies some, but I don't add any when editing the jpeg.

Anyway, I went and followed your workflow and re-edited TF-KFE since I grabbed a copy of Photoshop for myself and wanted to test its capabilities. (I know some said it's unfixable, but trying doesn't hurt.).
    I was one of those who mentioned that, and yes, I don't think more editing would help. This would be rejected for soft, and contrast/backlit. You can keep trying to work on it if you want, but I won't comment on it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied

- adjust exposure/white balance (if needed) in raw file
    - convert to jpeg (or 16-bit tiff if I'm worried about color gradations in sky)
    - level and crop
    - sharpen, adjust contrast
    - resize to upload (usually 1600pix for me)
    - convert to 8-bit jpeg (if not already)
    - any final (minor) adjustments
    Thank you, helps a lot.
    Just to double-check, you do actually do noise reduction, correct? Since you didn't list it.

Anyway, I went and followed your workflow and re-edited TF-KFE since I grabbed a copy of Photoshop for myself and wanted to test its capabilities. (I know some said it's unfixable, but trying doesn't hurt.).
    Pre-screening requested.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Thanks for the response!
    Don't know if you take photos, but what is a good workflow for post-processing?
    If you don't photograph, then if you could send a useful link, that'd be most appreciated.
    Have a nice day.
    Yes, I do take photos as it's kind of a requirement to be a member of the screening team

I'm far from the most active uploader, but I do have maybe the highest acceptance ratio on the whole site, so you can trust my advice..plus I might be the one who ends up screening your image(s).

I've found that workflows often vary according to individuals/personal taste, and of course the images themselves (each image might not need the same editing as the previous).

That being said, a basic outline of my personal (others may have different takes) workflow is as follows:

- adjust exposure/white balance (if needed) in raw file
    - convert to jpeg (or 16-bit tiff if I'm worried about color gradations in sky)
    - level and crop
    - sharpen, adjust contrast
    - resize to upload (usually 1600pix for me)
    - convert to 8-bit jpeg (if not already)
    - any final (minor) adjustments

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied

Your settings/editing/workflow.
    Thanks for the response!
    Don't know if you take photos, but what is a good workflow for post-processing?
    If you don't photograph, then if you could send a useful link, that'd be most appreciated.
    Have a nice day.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Do you have any possible reasons that it's so heavily compressed?
    Your settings/editing/workflow.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied

This image also soft/blurry and heavily compressed. You will need to figure out why that is happening to your images because you will never get anything accepted that is so badly compressed.
    Do you have any possible reasons that it's so heavily compressed?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Been thinking of this picture a bit (see attachment), so, any prescreening would be nice.
    This image also soft/blurry and heavily compressed. You will need to figure out why that is happening to your images because you will never get anything accepted that is so badly compressed.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied
    Is it allowed to upload photos of the wings cropped off? I've seen some of those on the website.
    Been thinking of this picture a bit (see attachment), so, any prescreening would be nice.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied
    Is it allowed to upload photos of the wings cropped off? I've seen some of those on the website.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied

Unfortunately these images are all soft/blurry and heavily compressed. There is no chance they would be accepted.

Looking at the higher-resolution images above, I can also say that the quality on those is quite low on those as well, so further editing would be pointless. Sorry!
    Okay, thanks for the reply.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Sorry mate, didn't know it would apply to resolutions.
    I'll upload those now.
    Unfortunately these images are all soft/blurry and heavily compressed. There is no chance they would be accepted.

Looking at the higher-resolution images above, I can also say that the quality on those is quite low on those as well, so further editing would be pointless. Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied

Hi,

Again, please read here THOROUGHLY before making any prescreening requests.

6. Try to attach the exact images you plan to upload to your post (i.e. don't upload unedited image unless asking for general advice).

These are not the photos that would actually be uploaded, so they cannot be prescreened. Please make sure you post the exact images you hope to upload. You are likely restricted to images no larger than 1280pix, and the system overall cannot accept any image larger than 1920pix.
    Sorry mate, didn't know it would apply to resolutions.
    I'll upload those now.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Can I have some prescreening for these pictures, please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

Again, please read here THOROUGHLY before making any prescreening requests.

6. Try to attach the exact images you plan to upload to your post (i.e. don't upload unedited image unless asking for general advice).

These are not the photos that would actually be uploaded, so they cannot be prescreened. Please make sure you post the exact images you hope to upload. You are likely restricted to images no larger than 1280pix, and the system overall cannot accept any image larger than 1920pix.

Leave a comment:

• MarinoCodes
    replied
    Can I have some prescreening for these pictures, please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X