Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewScotlandLad - Prescreening request / editing advice

Hello,

I've recently begun plane spotting and photography and am on the journey to improve my photos/editing to the JP standard. Still working through some settings and trying to get the perfect weather conditions.

I have this one that I would like any feedback for editing/JP suitability. Day was a little overcast, which didn't help, but it was a new registration (on its ferry flight, no less), so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't love the fence top in it, not sure if that might also be a strike against me.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

NSL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Somon New 737-8 1b.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	1145246

Originally posted by NewScotlandLad View Post
    Hello,

I've recently begun plane spotting and photography and am on the journey to improve my photos/editing to the JP standard. Still working through some settings and trying to get the perfect weather conditions.

I have this one that I would like any feedback for editing/JP suitability. Day was a little overcast, which didn't help, but it was a new registration (on its ferry flight, no less), so I thought I'd give it a go. I don't love the fence top in it, not sure if that might also be a strike against me.
    Unfortunately the contrast is too poor in this one to make it worth uploading. As you note, this is due to the overcast conditions. Other than that, the aircraft is also soft and too low in the frame.

Comment

Sincere thanks for all previous advice.

I have a couple more I would appreciate some feedback for editing/JP suitability.

Thanks in Advance.

NSL.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sincere thanks for all previous advice.

I have a couple more I would appreciate some feedback for editing/JP suitability.
        1. dark/contrast. not fixable
        2. soft, (harsh) contrast
        3. soft, borderline centering/noisy

These don't really have the quality necessary for 1600pix, so maybe best to stick to 1280 or lower.

Comment

Thank you once again. A better day, condition-wise. Perhaps some better photos. Still working on my editing workflow as well. Thanks for any thoughts/advice re: JP suitability.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you once again. A better day, condition-wise. Perhaps some better photos. Still working on my editing workflow as well. Thanks for any thoughts/advice re: JP suitability.
            Images are soft and noisy.

Comment

As far as softness goes, it's becoming a theme. Is this simply too soft a photo and I need to work on taking a sharper photo, or could I continue to work on this in post? I use unsharp mask a fair bit, but want to avoid over sharpening as well. Just curious for any additional thoughts on this from crew or otherwise. Thank you.

Comment

As far as softness goes, it's becoming a theme. Is this simply too soft a photo and I need to work on taking a sharper photo, or could I continue to work on this in post? I use unsharp mask a fair bit, but want to avoid over sharpening as well. Just curious for any additional thoughts on this from crew or otherwise. Thank you.
                Can only guess, but it seems the originals might be soft themselves. You can try to hide this with careful editing and lower resolutions, but it would be more work than simply starting with a sharp image. Post one of the originals (unedited) if you'd like confirmation of the starting quality.

Comment

A couple more for pre-screening advice for JP suitability from a sunny shoot. Thank you.

Attached Files

Comment

A couple more for pre-screening advice for JP suitability from a sunny shoot. Thank you.
                    not screener, looks soft for all of them
                    Kind regards from Sydney
                    Charlie Chang

Comment

Blurry and oversharpened to compensate on all.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Modifying my workflow through all the feedback. Learning is a journey. Here are two more. Thanks.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Modifying my workflow through all the feedback. Learning is a journey. Here are two more. Thanks.
                          Not a screener.

Still blurry and oversharpened. I think this is a photo issue, and probably no workflow would save it. You need to figure out why your images look soft. Incorrect setting/lens/vibrations or such.

Comment

Slightly improved, but quality still too low to be accepted. Maybe post one of the originals to see if the quality is actually there to make it worth trying another edit.

Comment

Thanks for the continued feedback. I just went ahead and assumed the originals simply weren't good enough. Had a chance to shoot some new ones today. Trying some different things with in-camera settings, lenses and technique. Still a work in progress on all that. Here are a couple for your feedback. Thanks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X