Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zhf21 - Prescreening Advice/Editing Advice

Hi, all!

I hope everyone is having a good start to 2023!

I'm Zack, an amateur photographer looking to improve my shooting and editing skills.

I went spotting at EWR the other day, and some feedback on the shots and how I edited them would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, any changes I should make to have the best chance of JP accepting them.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Hi,

All the photos are a bit soft and compressed.

I'm not a screener, but your best shot would be the 5th image, needs a but more exposure and a different export setting to get rid of compression.

Practice makes perfect!

Shon

Comment

Originally posted by sierrafoxtrot View Post
      Hi,

All the photos are a bit soft and compressed.

Hi Shon!

Thank you so much for the reply! I can work with some more exposure and a different export setting. However, how would I fix the softness? I've tried sharpening the images, but at a certain point, it becomes too grainy.

Comment

Originally posted by zhf21 View Post

Hi Shon!

Thank you so much for the reply! I can work with some more exposure and a different export setting. However, how would I fix the softness? I've tried sharpening the images, but at a certain point, it becomes too grainy.
        When you are looking at the images in editing software before exporting, they will look grainy. I had to get over that as well simply by sharpening, exporting, uploading here for feedback, and adding more sharpening if needed. When you are looking at them in editing software, you are viewing them at full res but will export at much lower resolution (1280px when you start out with Jetphotos) and they will lose that grainy appearance.

Comment

Oh, sweet! Thank you!

Does this look less soft? I also raised the exposure.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oh, sweet! Thank you!

Does this look less soft? I also raised the exposure.
            Hello,
            For the beginning, you are not even allowed to upload such a big photo to JP.
            This shot is 3052px long edge. The absolute maximum, that can be uploaded is 1920, and new users are limited to 1280px long edge max.
            If you want to have a pre-screening, You should upload the photo at a 1280px resolution as you should always request the pre-screening on shots, that are the final edit including size.
            Please see the pre-screening rules below.
            https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...ning-from-crew
            Also at the lower resolution, the softness tends to cause less of a problem.
            However, regarding this photo, I think that the softness could be caused by an overuse of noise reduction.

Comment

Originally posted by JuklicekCZ View Post

For the beginning, you are not even allowed to upload such a big photo to JP.
              I know. I have three photos on JP already. I just wasn't sure if seeing the full-sized edit would help. But thank you.

Originally posted by JuklicekCZ View Post

However, regarding this photo, I think that the softness could be caused by an overuse of noise reduction.
              I've re-uploaded it with less noise reduction and the proper dimensions.
              Attached Files

Comment

I know. I have three photos on JP already. I just wasn't sure if seeing the full-sized edit would help. But thank you.

I've re-uploaded it with less noise reduction and the proper dimensions.
                Blurry, oversharpened, noise, compression. No chance, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Blurry, oversharpened, noise, compression. No chance, sorry.
                  Hi. Thanks for your reply. What's the best way to overcome this? The shots are not blurry in their RAW file. Blurriness and compression are bound to occur when the files are converted into JP's required .jpg file, no?

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your reply. What's the best way to overcome this? The shots are not blurry in their RAW file. Blurriness and compression are bound to occur when the files are converted into JP's required .jpg file, no?
                    Blurriness doesn't come from converting. Compression can occur, but definitely isn't bound to occur. I've only had 1 compression rejection out of 266 photos uploaded for screening.

Comment

Originally posted by jakerepp View Post

Blurriness doesn't come from converting. Compression can occur, but definitely isn't bound to occur. I've only had 1 compression rejection out of 266 photos uploaded for screening.
                      Something is wrong on my end then. I am using Fotor. Any suggestions?

Comment

Blurriness mostly appears due to a camera shake.
                        You either need to train more steady holding, use some kind of tri/monopod, or use a higher shutter speed.
                        Hope that you have lenses with a stabilizer.
                        Compression may be caused by some export settings, maybe if you share the export screen, it could help.

Comment

Post the original (full-res. jpg), and we can see if that's the case, or it's simply lacking the quality. Converting to jpg should not impact the quality in any noticeable way.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Post the original (full-res. jpg), and we can see if that's the case, or it's simply lacking the quality. Converting to jpg should not impact the quality in any noticeable way.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, that clarifies things. It's pretty much due to the poor quality of the original. Poor editing/processing is playing a small part, but it's mostly what you're starting with.

Comment

Working...
                              X