Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• samjd - general sharpening advice

hi all,
    recently returning to JP after a photography hiatus due to covid etc.
    while getting back into the groove of processing images for JP, I've been struggling with a lot of 'unsharpened, soft' rejections.
    I'm currently using a canon 55-250 on a 77D body, so no L glass.

just wondering if I could get some general sharpening / export advice when exporting out of Lightroom, and an opinion on whether my processing is the issue, or general edge-of-frame softness from the cheaper glass. I've attached 2 recent rejections for reference.
    cheers

Attached Files

Originally posted by samjd View Post
    hi all,
    recently returning to JP after a photography hiatus due to covid etc.
    while getting back into the groove of processing images for JP, I've been struggling with a lot of 'unsharpened, soft' rejections.
    I'm currently using a canon 55-250 on a 77D body, so no L glass.

just wondering if I could get some general sharpening / export advice when exporting out of Lightroom, and an opinion on whether my processing is the issue, or general edge-of-frame softness from the cheaper glass. I've attached 2 recent rejections for reference.
    cheers
    First image is very soft, second somewhat. Without seeing the originals, couldn't tell you if it's due to processing or gear.

Comment

Thanks for writing back.
      Here are two originals, bar the cropping.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not a screener but looking at the originals it definitely looks like a processing issue

Comment

Thanks for writing back.
          Here are two originals, bar the cropping.
          Hope those are not actually the originals since they are only 2000pix. If they are, that could be a big part of the issue, since they are still quite soft.

Comment

I resized the originals down to 2000px, wasn't sure if the forum permitted full size, my apologies. Here are the maximum res copies. thank you for your patience.

Attached Files

Comment

I resized the originals down to 2000px, wasn't sure if the forum permitted full size, my apologies. Here are the maximum res copies. thank you for your patience.

These images are both very soft, so it indeed seems that it is a gear/technique issue, and not so much the processing.

Comment

okay, good to know. Saving up for L glass
                Thank you for the help.

Comment

Hello, hoping to get prescreening advice on these two images if possible. Apologies for making a duplicate thread before, I forgot I'd posted here. Click image for larger version

Name:	23-05-25_A6-BLS_JP-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	668.9 KB
ID:	1162580Click image for larger version

Name:	23-05-25_ER-BBC_JP.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	1162581

Comment

Hello, hoping to get prescreening advice on these two images if possible. Apologies for making a duplicate thread before, I forgot I'd posted here.
                    1. soft, dark
                    2. dark/contrast

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I've altered my processing on #2 and found a sharper shot of #1. Are these any better or still too dark? They might just not be suitable for the database in general.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	23-05-25_A6-BLS_JP-2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	1162588Click image for larger version

Name:	23-05-25_ER-BBC_JP-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	797.0 KB
ID:	1162587

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I've altered my processing on #2 and found a sharper shot of #1. Are these any better or still too dark? They might just not be suitable for the database in general.
                        Lack of direct light makes it challenging for both, but they're not terrible. I think they'd both likely be rejected, but I've been wrong before, so up to you if you want to try.

Comment

No worries, thanks for taking the time to review them for me, much appreciated.

Comment

After some advice on these images please! Trying a new sharpening technique.

Name:	23-06-18_VN-A890_JP.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	1163510

Name:	23-06-18_VH-VZJ_JP.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	1163509

Name:	23-06-18_VH-ZNG_JP.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	1163508

Comment

After some advice on these images please! Trying a new sharpening technique.
                              Soft/dark.

Comment

Working...
                              X