Sony F505/ F505V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony F505/ F505V

Hi I was looking at Dpreview.com and the F505/F505V look like good cameras. And they fit my budget if i buy off of ebay. Anyone have any experience with these cameras?
    Only the dead have seen the end of the war-Plato

They're Sony's first models of the F series, which are renowned for their quality (perhaps minus the 82 and features. I believe that the 505V is 3MP which I would take advantage of, and get that if at all possible. You'll be pretty limited with the camera, especially if you plan to shoot anything else other than aircraft.

I'd say go for it if your really, really desperate to get a camera now. Otherwise, I'd suggest save up for a good one.
    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Comment

What do u mean id be pretty limited??

Comment

anyone here ever use that camera???

Comment

Although better specs than your current camera, you are still limited to less than 3mp (can't crop) and to 5X optical (which is not much at airports where you have to cover long distances). I would suggest you hold off until you have the money to buy something with at least 3mp and 10X optical.
          Click Here for my aviation photographs.
          No Frontiers

Comment

Originally posted by fly1346
            What do u mean id be pretty limited??
            No hotshoe (not needed for aviation, but if you ever wanted to use a hotshoe compatible accesory)

No ability to change ISO speeds

No memory buffer

I have to admit the 5x optical on the F505, F505V, F707, and like on my F717 is lacking. I've found it just enough to get by. Compared to the cameras that compete with these models, their all losers in the zoom catagory.
            CheckSix

Comment

Ya i like the zoom to. 5x i think is decent for me. Because i can get really close sometimes!. Also A777 u said abount it being 3MP... and you cant crop or something???

Comment

Ya i like the zoom to. 5x i think is decent for me. Because i can get really close sometimes!. Also A777 u said abount it being 3MP... and you cant crop or something???
                3.3 MP on the 505V rounds out to be about 1856 x 1392 (native)
                2240 x 1680 (interpolated) in resolution. That doesn't give to much room for cropping on the computer. The 2.6 something rather on the 505 rounds out to be about 1600 x 1200 native resolution. The more resolution, the more room for cropping.

I think if your very desperate, then go ahead and get one, but if you think you can wait, wait. You won't regret waiting. The 505 and 505V are good, but they have their problems, which might annoy you after a while.
                CheckSix

Comment

What problems do you say they have. Lol i dont think i can wait either! I guess ill go with this. Did you use the 505/505V. What are your impressions on this!

Comment

doh..
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

What problems do you say they have. Lol i dont think i can wait either! I guess ill go with this. Did you use the 505/505V. What are your impressions on this!
                      -No live display of exposure information on the LCD
                      -Have to go into the menu system to alter aperture or shutter priority settings
                      -Slowest shutter speed of 1/8s
                      -No external flash connectivity
                      -No uncompressed mode
                      -No anti red-eye flash mode
                      -No ISO sensitivity control

Dude, seriously, wait for a camera with a better ZOOM! it is better to have more zoom than you think you need. 300mm or more is a must at most airports. But then again it is your money...
                      Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                      No Frontiers

Comment

Don't jump into getting a camera just because you really, really want one now. You'll regret it. I'd highly suggest waiting, and spending your money on something that has more zoom, better features, and better quality (yes 3 MP can do it, but not as well as a 4, 5, or 6 MP).

I use the F717 and it is a clearly a major improvement over the F505 and F505V. I don't need the zoom that much because I'm not always shooting aircraft, and normally when I do, I can get fairly close.

It all depends on what YOU want to do however. If you feel you really want this camera, now, then do it. But if I were you, there are just to many low end features for me on this camera. You'd probably end up wanting to buy another one within six months because it is lacking in key areas.
                        CheckSix

Comment

I don't need the zoom that much because I'm not always shooting aircraft, and normally when I do, I can get fairly close.

Same here I dunno. Most cameras i see come with 3x optical. I think 5x is adequate for me. Maybe ill wait. Also a lot of people say its not the MP that matter its the zoom. I mean if i get close enough that the wing of a Egypt air 777 is over my head! I think this camera is fine. But.. for now i guess ill keep looking.. and if I dont find anything ill buy the F505V

Comment

What's your budget?
                            CheckSix

Comment

my budget lol it wud prob be upto 150. I can get the F505V for abnout 125-160

Comment

Working...
                              X