Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you agree with these rejections?

Hi everyone...

Some of my pics were rejected...and Iīm not sure about them,but not enough to appeal them,so I would like your opinion.

First one...wait,whereīs the reason for the rejection??

First time I uploaded this one it was soft,now itīs oversharpened?

Bad quality....huh?

Ok,a little too much noise,but bad quality?

It doesnīt look oversharpened to me..

Thanks in advance.
    My photos on Jetphotos.net

Renato

#1 I agree with the screeners, it looks strange around the TAM tail, especially the stairs
    #2 I do see the bad quality, I think this image was too soft to be saved by sharpening.
    #3 Oversharpened again, try not too sharpen this much
    #4 Again I understand the screeners, it's quite grainy (fixable with neatimage or a program like that, not sure if it can be made acceptable after that, but give it a shot
    #5 Overshapened again, and I don;t know if the quality is there.

My idea for you: keep on taking the pictures the way you do now (angle wise), they are well lit, and good angles. Do try to lower the sensitivity settings of your sensor (ISO) to reduce the grain, and run the images thru a program like neatimage (www.neatimage.com) to reduce the grain. There is a free version on there website.

As a third, in my opinion you tend to oversharpen pictures (have taken a look at your accepted pictures as well), try not to, and if you are unsure how much you should sharpen you can allways ask here.

Keep on shooting

[edit] what camera do you use? That might help as well [/edit]

Comment

all have been rejected correctly, i screened the first photo and i was meant to tick bad motive, the quality is not there and they are way to oversharpened.

next trips
      USA/DXB August.

Comment

First..

Spotter,well,if you think that,who am I to complain about it..maybe my monitor isnīt very well..My cameraīs noise is present even at ISO 100(of course,very low noise,but still,itīs there) and when I used Neat Image for the first time..it was a disaster.Iīve sended the 'Neat Imaged' pic to "that site",as you guys here at JP say,they actually accepted it!I couldnīt believe that..but then,one guy have post a topic about this pic,and it was DELETED from theyīre database..after that,I have never used "Remove all noise" again In that aspect,Helicon Noise Filter is better to remove the noise without "overmanipulating" the photo..
        Thank you for your reply!

Now...Longreach747,

Thank you too..but just one thing...bad motive why?I guess that the photo speaks for itself,donīt you think?Itīs a 757 tail!Nothing less,nothing more..

Renato

Comment

1. I totally agree with the screeners. I would even have said bad motive as well. Is the stairstruck the main object in the shot ?? But I think the pic could be saved.

2. I also do agree with the screeners. Was it taken through a window ??

3. I would never have tried uploading that.

4. I also agree with the screeners. Could be probably saved with some work in PS / Neat Image.

5. same as above. but it lacks detail. I doubt it can be saved.

Comment

Good advice: Perhaps you should simply try to listen to what screeners try to tell you and not question all rejections.

The B752 tail shot is another perfect example: if you want to show the tail, then show THE TAIL, and nothing else. Crop tighter and that's it.

Gerardo
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

seahawk,thank you.About the number 2...all these photos were taken through an very dirty terminal window(Iīve already lost a lot of pics because of that "little" detail).Iīll try to fix the United one,but I still donīt think that it is such a crappy pic..itīs not a great pic(after all,none of my pics are )but I just didnīt found it was so horrible.

Now,Gerardo..

First of all..show me where a screener gave me an advice and where I didnīt use it..I donīt question every rejection,I just question the ones I donīt agree or donīt understand..And remember,Iīm new on acft photography..I guess you didnīt start spotting knowing everything about photography,right?And some people helped you to improve your pics,right?Thatīs exactly where I am right now..Maybe someday,Iīll get to be such a great photographer as you are About the 757 one,I didnīt crop it at all so it certainly can be fixed,Iīll work on that.Thank you too.

Renato

Comment

A screener gives you with every rejection a rejection reason. Look at it as an advice. If a screener rejects a pic, you can try to do something or, as you did above:
                First time I uploaded this one it was soft,now itīs oversharpened?
                Bad quality....huh?
                Ok,a little too much noise,but bad quality?
                It doesnīt look oversharpened to me..
                And I don't go now to previous topics, you started.

Now, if you want to compare with me. I started uploading pics to online sites after many years of experimenting with my gear, asking friends and other photographers for advice. It took me several rejections until I got the first pic accepted. I don't consider myself a great photographer, as you put it in your post, but one, who is still keen to listen to others and to improve.

Now, back to you. Get out to the airport and try again. Take your next rejections as a man and learn from then, if you want to improve, that is.

Gerardo
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

A screener gives you with every rejection a rejection reason. Look at it as an advice.
                  You didnīt specified on your first reply,thatīs why I misunderstood you,Iīm sorry.But....I know a lot of other uploaders that do the following..Sometimes,if you send the exactly same pic that was previously rejected,the screener will accept it,so we get a little confused about whatīs wrong and whatīs right..And you donīt know who was right,the screener that didnīt accepted and the one that did.What we should do in this case?
                  Now about the "comparison"(wich I didnīt want to start)Iīm still learning just like you(of course,in another level),and I agree about the "Never stop learning" thing.And before I start sending my pics to JP and other sites,Iīve read a lot of magazines and manuals before just start shooting around..and still my pics arenīt even the half the way I wanted to be,wich gives me another reason to keep trying..I hope I can count with you and with others JP.net photographers to improve my photos,so I can show Sao Paulo to the world..
                  Sorry about the huuuge message..Iīm not good enough at english to speak shortly

Renato

Comment

Originally posted by Renato
                    [Sometimes,if you send the exactly same pic that was previously rejected,the screener will accept it,so we get a little confused about whatīs wrong and whatīs right..And you donīt know who was right,the screener that didnīt accepted and the one that did.What we should do in this case?
                    Those are most-likely borderline cases, so it's up to the screener's opinion whether the photo is good enough or not. Every screener can have a different opinion (but with the new screening system, that shouldn't be a problem anymore).

But think about it this way. If the photo is borderline, it means that even if it is accepted, it's just barely good enough. Do you really want a mediocre photo online to represent your photographing skills? Why not only upload the best? It's not the number of photos online that matters, it's the quality of them.
                    Will F.
                    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Crazy764,

I liked your advice,I really did..And I try not to send pics I donīt like,and the ones that enter the Database,I reupload a better version after some photoshop enhance.But I got sure of one thing:With this camera,I really canīt do better than what I already do..thatīs why Iīm looking forward to a camera upgrade.

Renato

Comment

you don't have to agree or listen to what wwe say, in the end it's in your best interests to do so. the photo i rejected is clearly lacking motive, you have a stair case blocking the image, it's not really cropped to show that your just focusing on the tail.

next trips
                        USA/DXB August.

Comment

Renato,

I personally doubt that most of those pics are worth the effort to make them acceptable for jp-net. It is not that they are bad, but the circumstances were against them. I have lots of pics taken through dirty windows, that I personally do like a lot, but that will never ever make it into here. Shooting through windows is often very problematic. I suggest that you start looking for a better photo point at your local airport. Perhaps you can find a spot near the approach and start taking pics pf landing planes. And as I see you have some good ones in here already.

[photoid=355864]

That one below however is a really bad one :

[photoid=343772]

Just a side note, I donīt understand how that ever got accepted.
                          Oversharpened and too much Neat Image imho.

Furthermore it is very much a question of experience in photography to get a high percentage of accepted pics. Iīm into that hobby since the late 80ies and I only have started trying to upload since owning a digital SLR. Even if using a quite hard quality controll system for my own pics, I only achieve a 66% success rate when uploading to jp-net. And that is while using a quite expensive camera system.

Shooting with my little Coolpix 3500 during the holidays, I took around 120 pics. from those I considered only 12 worth trying. From those 12, 8 (or so) made it into here.

For my first screenerīs choice I needed around 4000 pics (of which 400 were uploaded and 280 accepted) since operating my DSLR.

If you are still learning the basics, you will have to accept a rather high rate of rejects. I can only suggest that you donīt fight those rejects, but learn from them. And you can always come here and ask for advice.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Regards

Stefan

Comment

Stefan,

Iīm learning to select only the best of the best to upload to Jetphotos..and youīre helping me,thank you.
                            And we here at Guarulhos have wonderful spotting places without windows,but most part of them require at least a 75-300mm lens.You can see 2 photos made on a spotting place near the approach,itīs a Lan Chile 767 and a BRA 737-400,look at my personal aviation album(link on my signature) and one photo made on "the hill" of a Lufthansa 747-400..but these 3 were rejected īcause they were overexposed(I forgot to compensate the exposure).Anyway,I think that even shooting throught windows,it is possible to have good photos at GRUīs terminal(just look for GRU on Airliners.net and youīll see what Iīm talking about).

About the GOL pic,it was made near my house at Congonhas..I always go there(since there is no spotting place in the terminal).You donīt have any idea about how much noise there was on this pic(and there is a very little noise yet).
                            About the LV-AIV pic..I know that.This day was my first spotting session and I donīt know why the camera underexposed like ALL the pics(except for one wich BTW entered the DB,Lanīs A340 on pushback)!So,obviously,when you level it,the noise is there...after Neat Image,it got worst.I really donīt know why I uploaded it..
                            Unfortunately I cannot afford a Digital SLR,because the most cheap one,wich I think,is the 300D,is R$3200...with the 18-55mm lens..So Iīll have to stay with this little piece of junk(only who has one will understand me).
                            I do the same thing that you do..shoot 160 pics,select 20 to upload to the sites..the ones rejected,I fix and upload again...if rejected again,I quit and save them to my personnal colection...

And man why all my messages get so huge??

Anyway,thank you for your support again

Renato

Comment

We are all here to help eachother - arenīt we ??

All pictures I made through windows were very hard to bring to a perfect level. I had to remove the dirt and most often I had to sompensate for a wrong color that came from slightly tinted glass. It can be done, but it is hard.

Especially if you have a camera that produces noisy pics. I know how bad this is, because I used (had to use) a Coolpix 3500 on my trip to LPA and it was hard.

What camera do you have. Perhaps me or others can give you some advice on good settings for it.

And most important enjoy your hobby

Stefan

Comment

Working...
                              X