Grain problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain problem...

I think this is the biggest headache that I have in my aviation photog. career...Look at the a shot below:

You've got a rare 767-300 that you don't see everyday, but the grains are horrible! Ouch

What do you think is the problem of grain? I come up withe following that might be one of the reasons...

1.) Camera (Higher resolution the less grain?)
    2.) Unsharp Mask radius in photoshop?

Help please
    Cheers
    Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Usually higher ISO = more grain.

But, adjusting the sharpening level on the camera also = more grain.

Too higher USM settings = more grain

To much sharpening = more grain.

Neatimage = less grain
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

As 'Simpleboy' said, try giving it a run through Neat Image. It usually transforms the photo completely in terms of grain

Dale

Comment

hmm Neatimage wont be the best solution as it looks heavily compressed too. Always shoot with the highest quality setting and save with the highest quality in photoshop (12) after resizing!!
        greetings,
        Philip

Comment

I noticed there was some heavy compression too. That's why I said "Neat Image usually helps," but I'm not too sure about this one

Comment

Do you mean "highest quality" in terms of highest resolution?
            Check out my photos at jp.net! http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=613

Comment

Yeah that's what Philip meant. Shoot in the highest photo resolution on your camera, so you can crop more without loosing as much quality. Then after resizing and then saving, save the photo at the highest quality possible.

Example -

Both of these pics were shot at the highest resolution on a Canon 300D (6.3MP). Yet both were saved at different quality levels in Photoshop.

Low (3)

Maximum (12)

Notice the compression and low quality the sky is? Big difference between the two Almost looks like both pics were taken with two completely different cameras.

Hope this helps

Comment

Nice choice for an example dale

Comment

I thought you'd like that one somehow Adam

Comment

Working...
                  X