Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected Photo - Heat Distortion

Hi all

This photo was rejected because of heat distortion. My appeal was rejected too. O well. The only heat I can see is from those huge 777 engines.... Looks ok to me. Any comments?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Stewart
    Some of my pics.

My Jetphotos!

Airliners.net

Look at the upper fuselage outline and the wing leading edges. No jet exhaust there but lines are wobbly all the same. I'm surprised that you got heat distortion when the plane was still way off the ground, but the effect is undeniable. Pity as it would have been a very nice photo otherwise. Was it a very hot day?

Comment

There is definately some heat distortion. Its noticable on the upper fuselage (especially close to the horizontal stabiliser). You can see the edges are 'wavey'. Its a great photo though, just one of the problems of shooting on a hot, bright day. Have a look at this one, I took it at Manchester as a Lufthansa A319-114 was turning on to runway24R for takeoff. It has mega heat distortion!

Darren
      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazbo5
        I took it at Manchester as a Lufthansa A319-114 was turning on to runway24R for takeoff. It has mega heat distortion!

Darren
        Now that does not happen often at Manchester ! Heat that is. It does illustrate the point well. Unfortunately if you have heat distortion there, it is there for good.

Jid.

Comment

Originally posted by jid
          Now that does not happen often at Manchester ! Heat that is.
          You must be joking! All (so called) Summer I had trouble with heat haze at MAN

Dale

Comment

I take your point Jidd, hasn't been too much of a problem this year at Manchester, sun has only been out on about 5 occasions all year! There isn't really a lot you can do apart from minimise the distance between your subject and lens, but thats often impossible in aviation photography.

Darren
            Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Heat Distortion = Evil

Comment

Another genious comment by clova

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                  Another genious comment by clova
                  You know it.

Comment

regardless of the rejection, it's a great pic.

i feel your pain. i'm thinking about changing my user name to reject or heat_distortion. whatcha think?
                    www.airplanegeek.com

I'm looking for anything and everything Air 21 related

Comment

Originally posted by airplanegeek
                      regardless of the rejection, it's a great pic.
                      Thanks for that.

Looking at the pic agian I guess now I can see some heat distortion.

kukkudrill - it wasn't that hot. But I guess hot enough for this to happen. O well thats life.

Cheers for the comments.

Stewart
                      Some of my pics.

My Jetphotos!

Airliners.net

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiflyer
                        it wasn't that hot.
                        If I'm not mistaken, heat distortion can occur anytime there's a reasonably big difference between the temperature of the ground, and that of the air.

I had heat haze occur at 10C....
                        Will F.
                        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                          Originally posted by kiwiflyer
                          it wasn't that hot.
                          If I'm not mistaken, heat distortion can occur anytime there's a reasonably big difference between the temperature of the ground, and that of the air.

I had heat haze occur at 10C....
                          I would say the runway (ground temp) would have be very hot. Air temperature would have be round 14 - 16C. Sun was out, but a lot of wind too.
                          Some of my pics.

My Jetphotos!

Airliners.net

Comment

I was under the impression heat distortion (as opposed to haziness) is simply due to sun-baked asphalt or concrete radiating heat into the air, creating an effect much like jet exhaust though not so noticeable. Heat shimmer makes shooting aircraft on the ground at MLA in summer (30+ C) a waste of time throughout much of the day, as I've discovered these past few months. Wind never seemed to make any difference. But early evenings would become OK as the force of the sun on the ground declined.

First shot I had which suffered heat distortion was a Libyan Arab Airlines 727 which looked OK except for wobbly fuselage cheat lines. Wow, I thought, I hadn't noticed the plane had such a lousy paint job! Eventually I caught on ...

Comment

On a similar subject I was wondering what you guys think of the photo below. Do you think it would be rejected for heat distortion if I tried uplaoding it?
                              MTIA
                              http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X