Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to process your shots - The JID method.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to process your shots - The JID method.

As I should of been somewhere else today and tomorrow but could not go due to 'unforeseen circumstances. So I have written a simple tutorial on how to edit your images in Photoshop CS. You can find my scratching at this URL-

http://www.btinternet.com/~victoryhall/workflow/

Let me know if you find it useful and also point out any errors which I have put in there. This is only meant as a guide and you should create a workflow that suites you and your equipment.

Jid

P.S. If this proves useful I might do one on how to drive a DSLR
    Last edited by jid; 2005-06-01, 16:21. Reason: Jids crappy spelling

Maybe it's just the crappy weather but after you did all those levels and shadow/highlight it kinda made the sky look overexposed relative to the rest of the picture.

Comment

I was the crappy weather !!!

Comment

Nice Tutorial Jid! Maybe I can learn something from it.

Sad that you wern't able to come to AMS. Now Pamela has to wait a bit longer for her promised beer (I have my conections)

Erwin
        “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by jid
          As I should of been somewhere else today and tomorrow but could not go due to 'unforeseen circumstances.
          I missed you Jid, met the other guys on the terrace this morning. Have to buy me that beer another time (btw the little Heineken bars on the terrace were not yet open ..)

Originally posted by jid
          So I have written a simple tutorial on how to edit your images in Photoshop CS. ..
          Really nice piece of work. I have developed my own methods and tastes, but I am sure this is a good starting point for those that want to make their first steps in photoshop

cheers, Pamela

Comment

I think the unforeseen circumstance was me realizing I had to buy beer !! I'm sure the lads told you the real reason D'oh. Next time I will be better prepared and will get you that beer

Cheers .. Jid

Comment

Nice tutorial, Jid. Perhaps we should have a sticky thread referring people to tutorials like these?

BTW, my own workflow is a little different, if only because I don't have CS but the rather more lowly PSE, which doesn't offer some of the more advanced options. What amazes me, though, that you sharpen before resizing. No need to doubt the effectiveness, obviously, considering the quality of your pictures, but it's quite contrary to about every other tutorial found on the net. Well, that just demonstrates that there's more than one way to do it, I guess...

Paul

P.S. About the DSLR tutorial: I might be interested, but I'd have to get one first...

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Great job Jid I think you should do one on driving a DSLR
                You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Some remarks.

The shadow / highlights function can create some halos. Especially in pictures with a clear blue sky around your airplane. Using the curves function gives you more control and does not risk creating the Halo. Which often only become visible when printing a large image.

I also suggest adjusting the levels before you clone out the dustspots. With the improved contrast they become much better visible. It is also important to know that you can (and should) use the level function to correct a slightly off whitebalance setting. Just use the grey pipette and cklick on some part really white or really black. It should give you a good (or better) color after that. Optimal would be a 50% grey, but that is hard to find on most aircraft pics.
                  My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                  My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                  ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

All good points Stefan, as I said everyone will have their own working patterns and this was just there as a rough guide. I change my workflow quite regularly when I try something new and like it I incorporate it.

The over use of any settings will cause adverse results, and their are normally other options. The shadow/highlight function is a good example because I think it is only PS CS that has it. BUT as Stefan says using the curves function is another option and available in more graphic packages.

Keep the remarks coming they are all helpful.

Jid

Comment

You can make sure that you get no Halos, when you set the radius in the Shadow-/Highlightsfunction to 0. However then I prefer the results I get with the Curves option. But I just changed my workflow that way.

I also suggest that you make yourself some custom curves that should fit some situations. I have one to lighten dark areas, One to compensate a slightly overexposed aircraft, one to work out more details in a cloudy sky, etc.

[photoid=467639]
                      [photoid=464553]
                      If you look closely you can just make out a small halo around the landing gear.
                      But in only becomes really visible on prints or 20x30cm and larger.

Here a pic were I used the curves function :
                      [photoid=482238]
                      My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                      My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                      ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

Comment

Jid

A very well put together tutorial that will help many,including myself as i am still trying new procedures.
                        Just a few pointers that i would like to see on your workflow for new uploaders.
                        Photoshop(CS) is not a quick fix for a badly composed photo.
                        Complete knowledge of your camera is essential.
                        Photoshop is a complcated confusing program to the beginner.
                        New uploaders will get lots of advice from many great photographers here,but you have to be prepared to put in the time to learn PS.It is not easy but if quality time is spent it will fall into place.If you are impatient you will not learn!!!

And Jid
                        Click Here to view my photo at RailPictures.Net!
                        loved every single one mate

Greg
                        My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

Excellent Tutorial Jid.

The shadow/highlight function is a good example because I think it is only PS CS that has it.
                          There is a very similar function in Photoshop 7.0, under Image -> Adjustments -> Variation. It doesn't allow as much control as in CS, but sometimes might be suitable.
                          "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

JID I'm glad you chose a poor weather shot for your example. As you and just about every other screener knows I stink at cloudy days I learned a few tricks I haven't thought of. I usually use 50 / 0.2 / 0 method of USM but will give your method a whirl.

I've got it bookmarked please keep it updated when you get time!
                            In every organization, there will always be one person who knows what's going on. This person must be fired.

Comment

Good to see I'm not the only one who has problems taking a level photo

PS. Nice tutorial

PPS. Nice to meet you Pamela up on the AMS deck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X