Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial Hill China 744 Sharpening Help

Hey guys-

Firstly, thanks to everyone who helped me find Imperial Hill- that was quite the experience & not something we have in PHX.

My 200mm L lens managed to get the heavies full-frame, but I'm having trouble sharpening. I managed to fix the contrast & get rid of the haze(second photo, my editing attempt), but it got rejected for being soft (which it is, I agree). The first pic is how it came out of the camera. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated & of course I'd mention your name in the photo caption.

Also, would someone want to re-explain the USM in PSP to me? I know what each field is for, but I don't think I'm getting the concept (like "if you do this, then this is what happens to the picture," or "if you increase the number in this box without increasing the others, this happens" sorta thing).

And finally, any tips to prevent softness in the future? Do any of you increase the sharpness setting of your cameras to get a more defined photo or does it really work?

Many thanks,
    Justin
    [email protected]

PS- if the full file size would work better for you, I'll gladly email it to you. Right now they're sized at 1024 wide.

Click below.

[http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=3669]

Sharpening shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'd be more concerned trying to deal with the 2 big dust spots in the image

Comment

My go at it -

Comment

Totally out topic... I love your avatar NOTAR520AC

Comment

Nice shot Justin Here's my bash at it -

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by tsentsan
            Totally out topic... I love your avatar NOTAR520AC
            Hell yeah!

Dale & Sam- what settings did you use for sharpening & what was your workflow? I'm jealous lol. Thanks for your efforts!
            Click below.

Comment

Just gave it a couple of boosts of USM at 200%, radius at 0.2 and threshold at 0. Not forgetting a good kick of saturation to bring out the colours

Comment

Do you usually always use that setting or do you change it for the particular photo?
                Click below.

Comment

No I don't always use that setting. Just depends how much sharpening is required.

Comment

Justin, I dropped you a PM to email me the shot, did you get it?

Comment

I think that's a great image you should have no trouble getting that accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
                        No I don't always use that setting. Just depends how much sharpening is required.
                        OK so how do you determine which fields to adjust based on the picture? I don't really understand what I'm doing with USM haha. Also, how did you get rid of the post-sharpening noise in the photo, assuming you did have to smooth it out a bit?

Also, what tool did you use for the saturation enhancement? I can't get it as bright as yours when I try.

Originally posted by AJ
                        Justin, I dropped you a PM to email me the shot, did you get it?
                        No, actually I didn't- sometimes my email alerts don't come in- I'll check it!

Originally posted by JordanD
                        I think that's a great image you should have no trouble getting that accepted.
                        Thanks man. Couldn't do it without people who know how to work USM though!

Many thanks to all.
                        Click below.

Comment

It is a beautiful shot Justin. I tried to leave the Hollywood sign in but it left the aircraft a bit low in the frame. It was quite sharp off the camera but I've enhanced it a little and I took your dust bunnies out the back and shot them!

Feel free to open the link and take the shot!

Comment

Very nice edit, AJ!

Comment

I like your different results.. Nice job guys.. Have to give you for them.. !
                              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X