Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposure problem

Hi.
    After I went spotting with my new D70 this morning I encountered one general problem with the pictures when I wanted to process them on my computer: Several of them appear quite dark. This is certainly related to poor lighting conditions (cloudy skies), however I think there is a way to fix this by altering certain camera settings.
    So my question is whether anyone could advise me on this.

Thanks in advance!

Don't know, how Nikon work, but 1/5000s with F7.1 on such a crappy day seems a tad too optimistic. I also think, the spot metering is adding a bit to the problems here. Try another metering mode, evaluative or whatever in this direction.

Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

The shutter speed is waaaayyyyy to fast for F7.1.

Try these settings, switch on A and then you can change the F. I usely use around F7.1/8. The shutter speed will adapt atomaticly to the light conditions.
      “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Thanks a lot to both of you!

One more question for you, Erwin: Which metering mode do you usually use?

Comment

I use Matrix metering on my D50, and it works quite well in most cases.

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

Comment

Might not the ISO setting be a little too high as well in order to support 5000th at F7.1 in low light?

Comment

Hi Gianluca, well as said above, your ISO is probably set too high, you need to be set at 100 or 200 max really. Shoot in AV mode and check your getting a shutter speed of around 1/200 to 1/400. Then once you have mastered that start experimenting with the exposure compensation and the other functions on your camera. Still you might be able to pull something from your exsisting shots. Here is the first one with a bit of Photoshopping added.

Cheers .. Jid
              Last edited by jid; 2006-01-04, 17:23.

Comment

A big thank you for these very helpful hints, Jid!
                I didn't expect that picture you edited had actually still so much potential. What were the steps you took to get that result?

Gianluca

Comment

Well i just adjusted the levels slightly then the curves, added a little 'warmth' with a photo filter and that was about it.

Jid

Comment

Learn to use your camera's light meter! Very simple and easy to use and read and will save you from ever overexposing and underexposing your photos!
                    Tanner Johnson - Owner
                    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Working...
                    X