PS and Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS and Film

I'm entering a photo contest at school. One of the rules for digi pics states that pictures can't be modified on the computer, same as here. A further interpretation however stated that I could do anything in PS that could be done with film. I've never developed my own film, so I'm not quite sure how much of what I do in PS can be with film. My workflow is as follows........

Level (not a big deal in a pic dealing with physics)
    Crop
    Levels
    Color Balance
    Curves or Brightness/Highlights (If needed)
    Resize
    USM

I'm pretty sure most of this stuff can be done with film, but I just need clairification from people who've worked with film. Thanks

And If you havn't guess I'm gonna enter an Aviation pic.....

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!"

U cant do any of those things you mentioned on film except if you used a filter you could perhaps alter the tones of the image.

Re-reading the question..

Basically - you can do anything to the digital image as long as its re-producable on film.

Which means you cant paste a 747 flying vertical beside an up-side-down A380, which means you cant perform USM (how do you sharpen a negative?), which means you cant add in specific effects that PS is so capable of (how do you create a spongy effect on film?)...
    Last edited by tsentsan; 2006-01-15, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by sluger020889
      Level (not a big deal in a pic dealing with physics)
      Crop
      Levels
      Color Balance
      Curves or Brightness/Highlights (If needed)
      Resize
      USM
      are you intending to do all this in PS?

Comment

A further interpretation however stated that I could do anything in PS that could be done with film.
        Film alone? Or Film+Darkroom equipment (developing and printing yourself)

- Leveling could be done in a darkroom by rotating the easel
        - Cropping by moving the enlarger down or moving the easel around
        - Colours could be done by adjusting the magenta/cyan/yellow on the enlarger (Can't fix things like you can in PS though, just slight casts..Maybe soneone who's spent their life in a darkroom could )
        - Resizing the entire picture can be done by moving the enlarger up and down
        - Brightness/Darkness could be adjusted by the time you expose the paper, how the film is developed..I've screwed up many rolls of B&W by leaving it in too long :/
        - Sharpening, your out of luck there...

In the grade 10 photography class I took, there was a guy who loved double exposures and playing with the equipment. He would come out with some incredible (and strange) prints that (these days) you'd swear were photoshopped.

Comment

Genessee you pretty much hit the nail on the head as I was reffering to Darkroom stuff, I don't think sharpness of an image is a big thing as I'm submitting this pic to retired physics teachers and not JP screeners.

Comment

Surely it is the image that is being judged - not how it was produced?

In the UK the organisations that 'run' photography (Royal Photograhpic Society & The Photographic Alliance of GB) make no distinction on digital / traditional methods of producing an image. The club I belong to is the same - on competitions or our own exhibition we do not have separate digital / traditional sections. You would need twice as many trophies for a start.

Most of the effects you can obtain using PS (or whatever) can be done in the darkroom - some of the most impressive pictures produced by one of our members were done in the darkroom.

Comment

If it is a digital pic we have to include the original file on a hard disk as well as an 8x10 print...

Comment

Working...
              X