Too Low in Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Low in Frame

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I'm sorry, I have pretty much stopped uploading ground shots to this site as I don't agree with the rule of aesthetically centered over mathematically centered. However this just mystifies me. It is centered in the frame no arguments about it. I really don't understand how this is rejected.

It's all a matter of balance. In my opinion, and apparently also in the respective screener's opinion, in your photo the aircraft is too low in the frame, leaving more dead space above the aircraft, than under the aircraft.

Gerardo
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343
      It's all a matter of balance. In my opinion, and apparently also in the respective screener's opinion, in your photo the aircraft is too low in the frame, leaving more dead space above the aircraft, than under the aircraft.

Gerardo
      I don't understand how this is somehting that can be argued. It is just absurd that something like centered in frame can be subjective.

Comment

Well, I don't know if that matters, but I think it's just absurd to judge a photo on mathematical merits. But there you go....

Gerardo
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Try and get the fuselage in the centre of the frame.

Comment

Surely a photo should be all about asthetics anyway? Im not quite sure where mathematics comes into play. Or how your mathematical workings have put the aircraft so low in the frame.
            Last edited by BA747-436; 2006-01-18, 11:16.

Comment

how is this mathematically centered?

Comment

Have to agree with the majority here, it's really simple to get this right, here goes:

The vertical centre of the fuselage should be in the vertical centre of the photo, easy really, centre of the plane in the centre of the pic. I usualy go by the pax window line. of slightly below.Hope this helps.

Dont worry too much if the tail is a little higher up etc as long as the fuselage is centred you wont have a "badcentre" problem.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Global Pics
                  Have to agree with the majority here, it's really simple to get this right, here goes:

The vertical centre of the fuselage should be in the vertical centre of the photo, easy really, centre of the plane in the centre of the pic. I usualy go by the pax window line. of slightly below.Hope this helps.

Dont worry too much if the tail is a little higher up etc as long as the fuselage is centred you wont have a "badcentre" problem.

Hope this makes sense.
                  its not a matter of getting it right, the highest point of the A/C is equidistant from the top as the lowest part of the A/C is from the bottom.

Comment

...Which puts the main body of the aircraft way down in the photo, giving the impression that the photo has alot of dead space above it. As has been said before the idea is to have the window line/body of the aircraft central in horizontal lines of the photo. Forget the distance from the top of the tail to the top of the photo vs the bottom of the aircraft to the bottom of the photo. This will, in most casses return a photo with the aircraft way down in the shot.

Comment

Exactly, get the window line centred, then the dead space problem you have won't happen,simple.

oh and it IS 'a matter of getting it right' simply because if you don't get it right the photo will look awkward and won't make it past the screening process as I've learn't,hope this helps clear this up

Comment

Originally posted by Global Pics
                        Exactly, get the window line centred, then the dead space problem you have won't happen,simple.

oh and it IS 'a matter of getting it right' simply because if you don't get it right the photo will look awkward and won't make it past the screening process as I've learn't,hope this helps clear this up
                        might not make it through the screening process here, but that is how most other sites like it. I shall continue to do it the way I have been, because it's what gets my shots accepted and gets me sales.

Hell Eric's workflow even points out that as being the way to center.
                        http://rockymountainavphotos.com/Eric/workflow.html

edit: this aircraft is decending, I also like my photos to convey and idea of what is going on in the shot, the crop makes that happen.

Comment

Well if you wont take our advice then thats your choice. I'm not going to continue with this as i feel the point has been made, weather you choose to accept it or not is up to you.

Comment

Amen to that, oh and by the way the dreaded other site also has this view point too, again as I have learn't.Enough said

Comment

This issue has been debated to death in the last couple months hasn't it? I happen to very strongly agree with the balance question.....aircraft that are "mathmatically" centered in the frame that were taken at certain angle simply do not look right....thats all there is to it.
                              Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
                              EF 50mm 1.4 USM
                              EF-S 18-55mm
                              EF 28-135mm IS USM
                              EF 70-200mm f4L
                              EF 100-400L IS
                              1.4X II Teleconverter
                              Canon 420EX Speedlite
                              Canon 430EX Speedlite
                              Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment