No announcement yet.

Screener Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On all the shots, especialy the Air India you have used to much Shadow/Highlight which can been seen by the halo's appearing around the body and wings. There is also a degree of softness to them. Try not to over do it on post processing.

Comment

fair enuff, I was told oversharpening caused the halos, so I sharpened less and shadowed the same, maybe forget the shadow next time, post some more later
      still learning!
      2x Canon 1Dmk3 -- Canon 400mm F2.8 IS L - Canon 100-400mm L IS USM -- Canon EF 70-200mm L IS F2.8 --Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L

Comment

ave some of these..or not

found a nice add-in so you can "paint" on shadow via a layer.
        2x Canon 1Dmk3 -- Canon 400mm F2.8 IS L - Canon 100-400mm L IS USM -- Canon EF 70-200mm L IS F2.8 --Canon 300mm F2.8 IS L

Comment

Yeah they all look better. Not quite sure what you mean by 'painting' on a shadow layer, but id like to point out we'd hate have to have to reject for 'digital manipulation'

Comment

I mean just add shadow to the underexposed bits, mainly under wings, I suppose its like shooting RAW and adjusting all elements of the photo.
            like lx a343 said "I would brighten up the shadows a bit to get more details under the wings"
            cheers for the advice BA I now know what to look out for.

Comment

Ah ha I understand what you meant now. Just be careful when using the shadow/highlight function that you don’t over do it. Around +5 is about as much as id go for. More than that and you'll start to get those infamous halo's around the aircrafts extremities. You will also need to compensate slightly with the contrast levels when increasing the brightness in shadow areas etc...im sure you'll find what works best for you. You might also want to try having a fiddle with the curves tool and possibly add a touch of exposure compensation. All these tools combined can level out a photo quite nicely. Just keep practising and you’ll see what effects work best for you on certain photos

Oh and feel free to call me Dan

Comment

Nice one dan, yeah on the earlier ones I couldn't see the halo at first, untrained eye
                so i went back and introduced various levels to see where the halos appear and it was around 10%, I think I used maybe 30-40% on the haloed ones, so all makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                X